The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Thu, 05/16/13 2:35 PM (permalink)

kaszeta

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Thu, 05/16/13 2:48 PM (permalink)
    I've got 14 places I've visited on that list, which isn't bad for someone that doesn't live in TX.

That sound you just heard was the line at Franklin getting that much longer....

(Although there's more than a little chutzpah in proclaiming a list of "Top 50 Barbecue Places in the World" and not even attempting to acknowledge places outside of TX....)

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3555
      Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Thu, 05/16/13 4:15 PM (permalink)
      Twice I've hit Luling too late in the day to go to City Market. Guess I'm going to have to adjust my time the next trip I make so I get there at lunch time!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
        Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Thu, 05/16/13 6:22 PM (permalink)
        Pecan Lodge, also mentioned (in Dallas) serves amazing Central Texas style BBQ! Like Franklin's, always a long line. Their brisket is melt in your mouth delicious with great smokey bark and flavor. Great Beef ribs, too!

Twinwillow

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Thu, 05/16/13 6:27 PM (permalink)
          I'm very surprised they didn't include Smitty's in Lockhart, Texas along with Black's and Kruez Market.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Fri, 05/17/13 11:35 AM (permalink)
            and 5 spots they missed, submitted for your next Texas BBQ roadtrip http://www.scrumptiousche...3-Texas-Monthly-Top-50

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Fri, 05/17/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
              I'm going to be in Amarillo in July. I noticed that they picked Tyler's BBQ vs The Stern's reviewed Dyer's. Is Tyler's better? Yelp reviews would indicate yes but I wasn't sure..

buffetbuster

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Fri, 05/17/13 12:32 PM (permalink)
                kaszeta

That sound you just heard was the line at Franklin getting that much longer.... 

I plan on going to Franklin Barbecue once the hullabaloo dies down...  in another 20 years or so.

buffetbuster

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Fri, 05/17/13 12:39 PM (permalink)
                  BTW, we am going to be in Houston next weekend.  We will definitely be trying Virgie's and Gatlin's.  Anyone ever been?

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                    Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Fri, 05/17/13 3:28 PM (permalink)
                    Pleased to see Styles Switch made the list. IMHO it's as good as Franklin's. OBTW HEB is now carrying Franklin's line of sauces. I don't really use sauce on my BBQ but I really do like his Espresso sauce.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                      Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Fri, 05/17/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
                      Hi ya Twin, I tought about why they left Smitty's off also but I must say, the last few times I have stopped coming back from Port A have been somewhat dissapointing.

Twinwillow

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Fri, 05/17/13 6:13 PM (permalink)
                        brisketboy

Hi ya Twin, I tought about why they left Smitty's off also but I must say, the last few times I have stopped coming back from Port A have been somewhat dissapointing.

So I've heard from others as well. I've also heard that there might be something "personal" going on between Daniel Vaughn and Smitty's. ???

buffetbuster

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Tue, 05/28/13 2:45 PM (permalink)
                          Here is why Smitty's was left off the list.  Surprising because Smitty's has always been a personal favorite of mine.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 10:47 AM (permalink)
                            buffetbuster

Here is why Smitty's was left off the list.  Surprising because Smitty's has always been a personal favorite of mine.

and my response to that epic bodyslam of a review http://www.scrumptiousche...thly-Honorable-Mention

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                              Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 11:33 AM (permalink)
                              buffetbuster

BTW, we am going to be in Houston next weekend.  We will definitely be trying Virgie's and Gatlin's.  Anyone ever been?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have been to Gatlin's and enjoyed every delicious bite. They are, however, a place that routinely runs out of things. On my visit, I believe they did not have pork ribs, but....you know...I was just glad that they were open!

I am far more upset that they did not include Southside Market in their Top 50 than their exclusion of Smitty's. I have always liked Kreutz better than Smitty's anyway, but the reality is that there is better barbecue being smoked elsewhere. The fact that Austin has so many good purveyors of smoked meat now, which was not the case even five years ago, is telling (to some level) of the demise of Lockhart as the BBQ Mecca. Who needs to drive to Lockhart when you have Franklin, John Mueller, Mickelthwait, and Stiles Switch nearby, without the drive?

I have been following Daniel Vaughn on Twitter for some time now, and his recommendations are as reliable as the Sterns, in my book. I am baffled, however, by his love affair with Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas. I have been to the place three times and only once did I find the 'que there to be exceptional. I fear that their inclusion is more about representing a city the size of Dallas with more than one part-time barbecue shack located in the farmer's market.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                Briskettboy,maybe they have somebody new manning the pit,which might account for any changes in regards to the flavor. It's been a couple of years since I have been there.Still want to try Home of Da Smoke down in the St.Hedwig-Adkins area east of San Antonio and also Davila's in Seguin.That last one has been there for years. Driven through Seguin to shop and such, but never really ate at any places there.

The Travelin Man

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                  scrumptiouschef surely knows better than me, but I am pretty sure that it is the same guy manning the pits at Smitty's for years.

Sundancer7

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                    My only comment was the last time I was there was with Bushie, The Mayor and others of the Glee Club, our stop at Smitty's was outstanding.  The best things were their sausage which was juicy and delicious.  Their brisket at that time was double outstanding and right off the pit and sliced fat and juicy as I like it.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN 

The Travelin Man

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                      Paul, I agree with you, my friend. Our experience that day at Smitty's was divine. But, that was six years ago. The landscape of Texas BBQ has changed quite a bit since then, and Texas Monthly included Smitty's on their list of the best 50 when they last wrote one in 2008.

I fear that Smitty's will fall off of my radar in much the same way that Arthur Bryant's has in Kansas City. When I go to KC now, I don't even consider going to AB's, where that was once the ONLY place I would consider. My hope is that being left off of the TM Top 50 list is a wake-up call and they will redouble their efforts to put out a great product once again.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                        Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                        Finally, a little respect for Hutchins' BBQ in McKinney.  

I've been to several of the the "name" places and remarked to myself that "This is no better than, or not as good as Hutchins'."

http://www.hutchinsbbq.net 

buffetbuster

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                          The Travelin Man

I am baffled, however, by his love affair with Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas. I have been to the place three times and only once did I find the 'que there to be exceptional. I fear that their inclusion is more about representing a city the size of Dallas with more than one part-time barbecue shack located in the farmer's market.
                                          I was also surprised to see it made the list, because that day you took me to Lockhart Smokehouse, it wasn't very good.  Your third visit, has it been since we were there last year?

BTW, we did not make it to the two places in Houston while we were down there, since they had such limited hours for the holiday weekend.  We drive out to East Bernard and Vincek's Smokehouse, which we enjoyed very much. 

The Travelin Man

Re:Texas Monthly Issues Their Top 50 BBQ List Wed, 05/29/13 1:46 PM (permalink)
                                            Yeah. I gave it another go around in the fall. It's not bad - the time we went was the worst of the three visits, but it is inconsistent.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com