Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Canalfood.com & other finds

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 89
JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 05/19/13 10:22 AM (permalink)
Nevermind this for now, I am just getting started.  But I may need to consult with a Professor of Hot Dogs sometime in the immediate future.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Wed, 05/22/13 9:50 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
    Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 05/19/13 8:27 PM (permalink)
    And just where did you find this, pray tell?

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 05/19/13 9:04 PM (permalink)
      Mallorca, obviously.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
        Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sun, 05/19/13 11:08 PM (permalink)
        Obviously.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
          Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Mon, 05/20/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
          A woman that I know just came from Mallorca, Spain,
          She smiled because I did not understand.
          Then she held out a badly misnamed "Chicago" dog,
          She said it was the finest in the land!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
            Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 05/22/13 2:15 AM (permalink)
            It's Mr. Magoo!

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 05/22/13 8:33 PM (permalink)
              When in Rome ...

For those not in the know, Pie Diva and I completed a 12 day Mediterranean cruise last week.  While off of our ship, we had a mission to seek out the European version of Roadfood. On Day 3 of the cruise we stopped in Dubrovnik, Croatia with no idea of what to expect. We should have done our homework. Dubrovnik is the best preserved Medieval walled city in Europe and absolutely spectacular.

When in Dubrovnik ... I decided to seek out Serbian Burek in Croatia.  I was quickly corrected by the cashier at a gift store. Burek is a Bosnian specialty, not Serbian. OK, but she couldn't tell us where to get any.

Undeterred, I kept looking (to Pie Diva's dismay) until I came upon this menu posted at a corner.

Right there, big as life - BUREK! Just around the corner we found the restaurant. Perfect. A Bosnian restaurant named Taj Mahal in Croatia serving burek.

We ordered the Buredzike, which was nothing like the Serbian burek that we are used to, but MISSION ACCOMPLISHED nonetheless.

We also ordered this eggplant dish that I can't remember much about, but everything was good.

Decent meal for about $30 including wine.  Good deal.  And you got to love the Euro-his & hers toilets.

More later, but not in any logical order.
              <message edited by JRPfeff on Wed, 05/22/13 8:59 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 05/22/13 8:41 PM (permalink)
                More! More!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                  Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Wed, 05/22/13 11:22 PM (permalink)
                  Lovely!  That eggplant is too pretty to mess up with a fork.

But.... you're used to Serbian Burek?

(Taj Mahal???)

Ralph Melton

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 1:06 PM (permalink)
                    I really like how unambiguous those toilet signs are. It is the complete opposite of restaurants that try to get too cute, so you're trying to figure out whether to use the "Airedales" door or the "Labrador" door.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                      Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 1:25 PM (permalink)
                      mar52

Lovely!  That eggplant is too pretty to mess up with a fork.

But.... you're used to Serbian Burek?

There is a legendary place in Chicago called Deta's where Deta makes burek but not on a regular basis, you call days ahead. The Chicago/Milwaukee Contingent has visited there a few times. JRP and Buddy Roadhouse and others have been.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 1:51 PM (permalink)
                        Looks so good...maybe I'll do the same tour! 

Sundancer7

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 2:29 PM (permalink)
                          Ralph Melton

I really like how unambiguous those toilet signs are. It is the complete opposite of restaurants that try to get too cute, so you're trying to figure out whether to use the "Airedales" door or the "Labrador" door.

I was in Warsaw Poland a few years ago and the guest of some doctors that were trying to sell us a bunch of human plasma.  They took me to lunch in the country at a very fine restaurant.  I had to use the restroom and the female doctor went with me.  To my surprise we both went into the same rest room.  They had side beside stalls with open bottoms.  She sat down beside me.  I lost the urge and went back to my meal

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 2:39 PM (permalink)
                            CTD,

We found a restaurant for you in Venice. Just go across the bridge and turn left.

We recommend that you order the left side of the menu.

jrp

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 2:54 PM (permalink)
                              Stay tuned for my next episode - The Origins of Pizza - Toledo, Ohio Gary, Indiana.
                              <message edited by JRPfeff on Thu, 05/23/13 6:42 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                                Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                Boy! I forgot about that.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 3:06 PM (permalink)
                                  I thought Gary, Indiana...

Buddy

P.S. kland, while I'm aware of Deta's, I don't think I've ever been there.  Most of my burek experience has been up in Milwaukee, primarily at Three Brothers.  Not saying you're wrong, I just don't recollect eating at Deta's.  I'd actually be happy if you can prove me wrong!

B.
                                  <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Thu, 05/23/13 3:09 PM>

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                    Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 3:14 PM (permalink)
                                    Buddy,

I think you remember better than me.

jrp

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                      Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                      Just remembering something from lthforum that Cathy2 did. She had a video. I guess you two are innocent!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                        Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                        JRPfeff, please post more pictures of your trip! The ones of Croatia are wonderful!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                          BuddyRoadhouse

I thought Gary, Indiana...

Buddy

P.S. kland, while I'm aware of Deta's, I don't think I've ever been there.  Most of my burek experience has been up in Milwaukee, primarily at Three Brothers.  Not saying you're wrong, I just don't recollect eating at Deta's.  I'd actually be happy if you can prove me wrong!

B.

WINNER WINNER BUREK DINNER - Pizza was first made in GARY, IN 

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Thu, 05/23/13 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                            The legend is that Milwaukee restaurateur Joe Bartolotta fell in love with Neapolitan pizzas on a trip to Gary Italy and decided to open an authentic Neapolitan-style pizzeria in the Milwaukee area upon his return. The result was Pizzeria Piccola, that's Little Pizzeria in English. The Contingent dined at Piccola during a 2010 Eat & Greet.

Pizzeria Piccola's spicy pepperoni pizza with onions added.

With Naples as a stop on our cruise itinerary, I did my research, contacting Joe's office for his favorite pizzeria in Naples. Joe was kind enough to provide the names of four separate pizzerias to me thru his assistant Sarah. On his list were: Da Michele; Sorbillo; Di Matteo; and Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente. With luck we might be able to get to one of them.

Unfortunately, in our rush to pack, I failed to note the addresses of the restaurants and plot a course to them. But fate intervened. As we changed planes in Philly for our flight to Venice, Pie Diva saw a photo of pizza on the cover of Saveur magazine and had to buy it to get the recipe.

When we sat down and looked in the magazine, it turned out to be a tribute to Neapolitan pizza; detailing traditions, preparation, ingredients, and the finest locations. On this list were all four of Joe's favorite pizzerias, including a small map. It turned out that 3 of the 4 were on the same street. A path to success was emerging. Actually, this was starting to resemble a roadtrip for The Contingent.

Stay tuned for the pizza.
                                            <message edited by JRPfeff on Thu, 05/23/13 7:45 PM>

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 05/24/13 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                              Our day in Naples began with a tour of Pompeii with our Ace Tour Guide Vito Corleone (he let me call him "Don"). Vito was THE Alpha Tour Guide, he took us in the back entrance, knew shortcuts and other guides would move their groups aside as we came through. Here's Vito (blue sports coat) explaining the intricacies of a residence in Pompeii.

Gladiator training area at Pompeii.

Roman chariot wheel ruts.

Yes, that is what you think it is.

Mt. Vesuvius venting on the ride back to Naples.

A great tour of a remarkable place. We returned to the ship at Noon and began our quest for pizza.

Besides the map in Saveur, we also had a small map from the ship of the harbor which overlapped. With the help of a large roadside bus route map, Pie Diva (or Bobbius, as she is known in Rome) picked our route. It was a long uphill walk and we knew we were getting close to Via dei Tribulani when we saw a pedestrian carrying a box from Pizzeria Gino Sorbillo.

This is a view of Via dei Tribulani.  The mile walk to get there was on less friendly looking streets. Pedestrians shared these narrow streets with motorcycles, cars and delivery trucks.

Upon reaching Via dei Tribulani we wandered looking for the pizzeria's with no luck. But some university students doing a marketing project spotted us - we had TOURISTA written all over us. We agreed to take their survey on tourism and they pointed us towards Sorbillo. Quid pro quo.

Our timing at Sorbillo was perfect, there were open tables and we ordered a pizza to share. We appeared to be light-weight eaters, as everyone else ordered their own pizza for lunch, they were about 12 inches in diameter. The pizza came out almost immediately - according to Saveur the wood-fired ovens run at 1000F and cook pizzas in 90 seconds.

We shared the Lasagna Pizza at Sorbillo. It came topped with tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto cotto and ricotta. Anthony Bourdain helped me avoid further embarrassment by noting in his Naples episode the need to use a knife and fork when eating pizza.

We had our bearings now and headed to Di Matteo for our next stop. Bad timing here, we got on the waiting list and decided to look for Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente while we waited.

No wait at del Presidente and a friendly face waiting inside.

The waiters at del Presidente barely spoke a word of English, but they really liked Americans. When asked where we are from, I tell them Chicago. They don't know Wisconsin or Milwaukee from Timbuktu. We ordered the Capricciosa Pizza at del Presidente, which was topped with cow's milk mozzarella, tomato sauce, oil, cheese, prosciutto, mushrooms, olives and artichokes.

We called this pizza the winner.

del Presidente's delivery guy posed for a photo with his pizza delivery Vespa.

Caio, for now.
                                              <message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 11/23/13 8:44 AM>

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 05/24/13 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                                That pictures so great!!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Fri, 05/24/13 10:50 PM (permalink)
                                                  JRPfeff
                                                  Yes, that is what you think it is.

Okay, but why was it immortalized in stone?  And in the street?  Did it do something "Special"?

BTW, those are some gorgeous looking pies!

And is that Pie Diva looking at me in the bottom of the DiMatteo pic?

Buddy

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sat, 05/25/13 6:53 AM (permalink)
                                                    Buddy,

Yes, "it" had a special purpose. They postulate that "it" directed sailors to the "professional" district of Pompeii as they entered the city from the port. "It" is pointed towards the bordello that we toured.

I think that is Pie Diva. I don't know how she let me get her in the lens.

I've got another pizza post in the works.

Jim

P.S. The delivery guy is Guido Strada-Casa. He's been delivering pizzas for Bertrando since he was in high school.
                                                    <message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 05/25/13 9:28 AM>

Pie Diva

• Total Posts: 56
                                                      Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sat, 05/25/13 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                                      Impossible to see the sights and keep track of you. Please crop that picture.

Sundancer7

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sat, 05/25/13 9:06 AM (permalink)
                                                        I was in Rome for a week several years ago.  I took a side trip to Pompeii and did the tour.  I was still fascinated by the chariot tracks in the stone.

Rome was a super city to people watch.  We found one bar on the corner with outside tables, bought some snacks and several beers and watched the motorscooters and people walk by.  All cars seem to have major dings in them.  Those folks there really drive fast and reckless.

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sat, 05/25/13 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                                          Sundancer,

We were amazed & aghast by the driving in Italy. We spent a lot of time in motorcoaches, and had a good view of the nutty drivers. The scooters & motorcyclists seemed the worst. But while we were on foot, they all respected pedestrians and stopped when we were in crosswalks.

Our tour guide in Rome said that there are more cars registered in Rome than there are residents. He joked that when a Roman finds a parking place, he/she will buy a car to park in it.

Jim

JRPfeff

Re:Canalfood.com & other finds Sat, 05/25/13 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                            Pie Diva - My mistake, there's no need to crop. That wasn't you, it was a hot Italian babe.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 89

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com