The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Ice Cream Trike

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 53
djdawg

• Total Posts: 439
Ice Cream Trike Mon, 05/20/13 12:23 AM (permalink)
SCROLL DOWN TO THE JUNE 2ND ENTRY TO SEE THE RESULTS OF MY FIRST DAY!

I hope the mods are ok with this thread and that it's in the hot dog forum.

I started something similar about a piece of hardware that I was having difficulty finding that I needed for the trike and it looks like there might be some interest with fellow hot doggers....so that's why I started a thread.

This is something that I think a lot of hot dog people could do if they are finding they need an extra bump in income over the summer.  It's pretty cheap to put together and other than dry ice and your ice cream there really isn't any other costs...probably a good idea to have some insurance too but that should be super cheap.

At any rate, here's my latest pics....it's pretty much ready to go other then the ice cream bells which should arrive next week.  I actually threw in some dry ice tonight and a few different novelties and am leaving it overnight to see how it does.  I realize this is not a real world test by any means but I'm interested to see if things are still cold in the morning. 

Hoping to get out this coming Memorial Day weekend....there is a beach destination not far from here and the main drag is flat and runs right along the water so it might be a good spot...depending on the weather. 

<message edited by djdawg on Sun, 06/2/13 10:24 PM>

BobbyVang

• Total Posts: 62
    Re:Ice Cream Trike Mon, 05/20/13 5:53 AM (permalink)
    When I saw your ice cream trike post, I was very intrigued. How would one order from a cart that has no menu? I am picking up a very nice ice cream cart for 225$ on Tuesday and would like to know this. Also if anyone knows where to find decals of ice cream, such as the ones on ice cream trucks/vans. I would appreciate. 
    <message edited by BobbyVang on Mon, 05/20/13 6:11 AM>

C2CD

• Total Posts: 189
      Re:Ice Cream Trike Mon, 05/20/13 9:50 AM (permalink)
      You can find decals on Ebay!
      @djdawg, Pedal pops lol love the name, very original 

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
        Re:Ice Cream Trike Mon, 05/20/13 10:01 AM (permalink)
        Google for ice cream decals etc Probably dozens of them under images.
        I just get ready made yard signs from "esigns" and velcro them on my cart. They're made of waterproof corrugated vinyl . I've had a couple for a while. The site allows you to reword and move things around change colors etc on their neat ready made signs and they are reasonably priced. Here's a picture just copy and paste in your browser's address box:
         https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a...41261_1958514488_n.jpg

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Mon, 05/20/13 12:02 PM (permalink)
          Thanks guys...Bobby Vang,  I'll be putting the "menu" on the back of the trike.  That's why I got a much smaller Pedal Pops sign.  My plan is to take my ice cream decals, have them laminated then put velcro on them.  That way I can velcro them to the back of the trike and rotate them out depending on what I want to carry. 

As far as getting decals...yeah you can get them off ebay I guess but you can also get them free from your distributor!  The guy I'm buying ice cream from has nearly every decal that is made and they are free!  I did have to search a bit to find the right distributor but finally did.

BTW Bobby....a cart for $225?!  Great find!  You should post pics of it here! 

sillydogz

• Total Posts: 113
            Re:Ice Cream Trike Mon, 05/20/13 6:33 PM (permalink)
            looks amazing! keep us posted on how it does.

last summer we had a college kid who was summering on a lake convert a pontoon boat into an ice cream boat. he spent the summer cruising the shore line selling ice cream and made a KILLING.

BpCBlake

• Total Posts: 436
              Re:Ice Cream Trike Mon, 05/20/13 6:46 PM (permalink)
              sounds like a hot dog boat would do great. putt from boat to boat selling dogs chips and soda.

BobbyVang

Re:Ice Cream Trike Tue, 05/21/13 5:03 AM (permalink)
                Here's the cart if you're wondering for 225$. Picking it up today.
                images.craigslist. (space) org/3K83F13I95I25K95H8d5g9c95fae0d2a41a09.jpg 

Is it possible to use Velcro patches onto stainless steel and have it stick well? 
                <message edited by BobbyVang on Tue, 05/21/13 5:56 AM>

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Tue, 05/21/13 7:32 AM (permalink)
                  Sure the Velcro backing will stick well on stainless steel. I usually get the heavy duty Velcro that comes in a box... It's as little more $ but worth it.

Bobby...I couldn't get your link to work...Even after cleaning it up.

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Tue, 05/21/13 7:40 AM (permalink)
                    Bobby, I might have found it. Is it a Mr. Ice Cream Man blue and yellow push cart? Red handle? If so, nice! I did a craigslist search for Fresno so maybe that's it...

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 12:37 AM (permalink)
                      I got the link to work....Haagen Daz!  So, are you selling HD or other things?  Looks nice....

BpCBlake

Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 10:23 AM (permalink)
                        Here is a neat side note.
                        Do you know, all types of ice cream and ices are held at different tempertures? i.e. you cant hold dipping ice cream in a novelty freezer? or italian ices? you should check this out with the pros. when you go to a manufactor, they usally ask you what type of cold things you want to sell. even some noveltys hold at different temps. I even tested this. my church rented a cart for a while, something melted faster then others.

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 11:27 AM (permalink)
                          Very true Blake...one trick I learned from my ice cream mentor is to keep the ice cream bars in the middle of your load...surrounded by more ice type treats like popsicle's, etc... Of course I have yet to try it but hopefully this weekend!

BpCBlake

Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 11:34 AM (permalink)
                            It's tricky. like italian ices have to be kept at 0
                            but have to be served at 18

BobbyVang

Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 2:55 PM (permalink)
                              Failed trip to LA because the cart was all banged, and he covered the dents with velcro and another sign placed on top. Flat tires, inside was moldy/rusty. I just didn't feel like buying the cart from the guy anymore. Also, I didn't expect the cart to be so huge, it was actually about 450'ish LBs. Even thought it has wheels it wasn't easy to push and wasn't a very pretty cart. ;/

Although had a lot of Korean BBQ there in LA. ;) 

I don't know if I'm going to be an ice cream man anymore... It being seasonal kind of sets me off so probably getting off the ice cream wagon now. 
                              <message edited by BobbyVang on Wed, 05/22/13 2:59 PM>

BpCBlake

Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 3:50 PM (permalink)
                                big and bulky like a catering cart? wonder what vermin are hiding in it's guts. I knew a guy that bought a cart that was infested with spiders. I told him, set some rats lose in there, they love spiders. but then he would have to start feeding the rats when all the spiders were gone.

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 10:54 PM (permalink)
                                  Sorry your trip was a bust Bobby....don't give up yet!  I did see some other ice cream push carts in your area that were a little more....I guess it's hard to tell from a pic but they look in decent to good condition. 

Are you handy at all?  Depending on how much $ you have you could build an ice cream trike like I did.  I probably have less then $300 into it including the price of a brand new bike.  And even though it's seasonal you can make a buttload of money.  In my area I have 3-4 months of selling tops but it could...no...will....mean hundreds of extra dollars which I really need. 

Don't give up!

mikejames533

• Total Posts: 99
                                    Re:Ice Cream Trike Wed, 05/22/13 11:41 PM (permalink)
                                    Nice looking setup djdawg. Who are you going with for a distributor? Would you share a pic of the inside of the box? Also the details of your build.

Thanks Mike

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Thu, 05/23/13 2:08 AM (permalink)
                                      Yeah I can get some pics up...I'll try and do it this weekend.  I'm gearing up for a big Saturday selling dogs cuz we have the annual parade....hopefully the weather will cooperate.

BobbyVang

Re:Ice Cream Trike Thu, 05/23/13 8:20 AM (permalink)
                                        Yeah post some tips on how you hooked everything up. Also link to the Fridge you bought if possible. ;)

mikejames533

• Total Posts: 99
                                          Re:Ice Cream Trike Thu, 05/23/13 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                          Thanks djdawg. Good luck on your Saturday gig, hope you sell em all!

AstroDog

• Total Posts: 10
                                            Re:Ice Cream Trike Tue, 05/28/13 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                            Dj! The trike looks killlller! Now I'm totally influenced to finish mine!
                                            What'd you end up using for the box?

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Thu, 05/30/13 11:23 PM (permalink)
                                              Ok....finally got some pics together of inside and out of the trike.  If you have any questions, let me know.  The pink stuff inside is pink foam board from Home Depot, etc.  The funky 1"x4" board that flops down is my kickstand that I can pull down (hence the reason for the door stop thingy screwed into it, ha ha) when I'm getting off the bike because once there is a load in the back, I'm sure the trike will have a tendency to tip backwards.  Also, it's held up by velcro when it's not down. 

I just got the old fashioned REAL ice cream bells yesterday from a company called Bevin Bells....google them.  About $60.  Pricey maybe but they are real, brass, beautiful ice cream bells and they complete the look I'm looking for.  It's hard to tell in the pics but they swing back and forth and ring up a storm!  I may end up attaching a nylon line so I can yank on it while I'm riding to get them going even more.

I need to do some touch up paint on the top and you might even see some small black paint specks...oops!   

The cubby hole up front is so I can slide a clipboard in for notes while running the route, etc.  The weather is supposed to get better this weekend and I'm picking up my first load of ice cream tomorrow so I'm hoping to get out over the weekend...I'll let you know how it goes!

BpCBlake

Re:Ice Cream Trike Fri, 05/31/13 12:10 AM (permalink)
                                                looks nice.
                                                and soon you will see if it's insulated correctly. noveltys hold at around 18 degrees.

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Fri, 05/31/13 7:08 AM (permalink)
                                                  That's my biggest fear Blake...preliminary tests have been good but hardly real world...keeping my fingers crossed!

BpCBlake

Re:Ice Cream Trike Fri, 05/31/13 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                                    cold is wierd, I think it travels up. so the cold box has to be basicly air tight. worse comes to worse you have to start over with cold plates. but also, if you get your box sealed tight you can use dry ice. this is what they did in the old days. also, line your box inside, you havnt lived until you have to clean up melted spoiled product.

djdawg

Re:Ice Cream Trike Fri, 05/31/13 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                                      Actually cold air drops... Hot air rises. I built the box almost exactly like they do the expensive trikes so I'm hoping with dry ice it will work out okay. We will see haha

BpCBlake

• Location: Las Vegas, NV
                                                        Re:Ice Cream Trike Fri, 05/31/13 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                                        I was close. I knw one went up and one dropped. heck I had a 50/50 chance. I think on one of the cart web sites they have a ice cream box to put on your cart and I think the had a picture on the inside. well have fun. I wish I had a ice cream scooter. everyone does bikes but I cant find a scooter rig. workman said they can build me one, but I cant afford 8 grand for one. capt. ice cream has custom mopeds, but I dont want a franchise.

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
                                                          • Location: Fruita, CO
                                                          Re:Ice Cream Trike Fri, 05/31/13 2:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          Kevin, How's about sitting a large plastic bag, maybe a garbage bag in case of a meltdown accident of some sort like Blake mentions cleaning up?

BobbyVang

• Location: Fresno, CA
                                                            Re:Ice Cream Trike Fri, 05/31/13 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                                            The two carts I did check out had a dry ice stand. Both the owners said the block will keep your dry ice away from the ice cream and actually make it colder on the ice cream. Not 100% sure about the make it colder, since the cold air is still at the bottom. Like this.

www.ruf-inc (dot) com/interior_freezer.jpg
                                                            <message edited by BobbyVang on Fri, 05/31/13 6:18 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 53

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com