The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!!

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 409
Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!! Wed, 05/22/13 3:31 PM (permalink)
I got a big smile when I saw the old Pilgreen's sign as today's Roadfood of the Day (5/22/13), but then grimaced because I'm pretty aware which Georgia restaurants are listed here in the reviews, and this old Atlanta landmark - a longtime favorite of my late father, who contended that their bartender made the finest martini on the planet - has been closed for probably ten years now.  There's a quasi-Pilgreen's left, south of the city in McDonough, in the community building of a big swim & tennis & golf club for retirees.  So I clicked the link and knew what would happen.  It just redirected back to the main page.

I realize that I'm just a powerless member here who doesn't pay for anything, but whoever is responsible for the decision to archive closed restaurants, I urge you, again, to reconsider and to KNOCK IT OFF.  This has long been a pain in the neck, because Marie, Let's Eat! has more than three dozen links to reviews at Roadfood.com and every time a restaurant - Georgia Pig, Harold's Barbecue, whatever - closes down, I have to go back in my blog's archives and edit out the link to Roadfood.com.  That's the selfish reason, but there is a much bigger thing that I wish you would reconsider.

More than the little work this causes me, the accidental reappearance of this Pilgreen's article is a stunning reminder of what we're missing by chopping away the records of closed businesses.  I would LOVE to read that story about Pilgreen's.  It closed before I became aware of Roadfood.com.  I would love to see the photos that accompany it.  I have heard the feeble defense that keeping up a review page for a business that has closed might confuse somebody who wants to go eat there.  I tell you that if anybody makes a pilgrimage to a restaurant without phoning them first to confirm their hours has only themselves to blame - guilty as charged myself, m'lud! - and that whomever maintains these records could surely add a large CLOSED note beneath the name and a paragraph reporting they are no longer in business.

More to the point, this almost-reappearance of the Pilgreen's article reminds me of other restaurants that closed before I had the chance to visit, like Melear's in Fayetteville GA.  The only memory that I have about that restaurant is the faded memory of what I read here, and I wish that I knew more, and could read it again.  It does not make one bit of sense for us to be hobbyists who share an out-of-the-ordinary interest in the history of restaurants and regional dining, and then to excise and hide that history when a business closes, rather than keeping these photos and stories up for people to look back on.

To put it another way, archiving these pages makes as much sense as going around to the Sterns' old books with a pair of scissors.  I want those pages back.  Whomever is in charge, please reconsider this policy and begin restoring them.  Thank you.

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 400
    Re:Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!! Wed, 05/22/13 3:54 PM (permalink)
    Terrific idea!  It would be wonderful to have a section reserved for closed eateries.  I, too, like to see the pictures and read the reviews and stories - even if I can no longer eat there.  So many greats would be in such a section!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
      Re:Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!! Wed, 05/22/13 4:40 PM (permalink)
      Well...    considering information works like molasses around here, good luck!! The Phillipes's (sp) question on the opening page has been there for 3-4 months.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!! Wed, 05/22/13 5:24 PM (permalink)
        kland01s

Well...    considering information works like molasses around here, good luck!! The Phillipes's (sp) question on the opening page has been there for 3-4 months.

Exactly one month today. But you're right - time for a new one.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
          Re:Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!! Wed, 05/22/13 5:27 PM (permalink)
          Yeah, I'd rather still be able to pull up a given eatery even if it is closed, but instead of archiving there'd be a big friendly bold red

C L O S E D

somewhere on the page so I know that the page is there for historical reference only

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
            Re:Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!! Wed, 05/22/13 7:16 PM (permalink)
            I agree there should be a location for the old, closed places. Sometimes it is just fun to see them and other times it is useful if you are doing research about an area.

chickenplucker

• Total Posts: 162
              Re:Roadfood of the Day closed / please quit with the archiving!! Wed, 05/22/13 7:21 PM (permalink)
              It brought back awesome memories for me. A large group of us ate there one night before heading over to a Brave's game. I had a porterhouse just over an inch thick that must have weighed over a pound and a half. Never had better service anywhere. Cant remember the exact year but it was at least 27-28 years ago.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com