The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 11:11 AM (permalink)
This morning I bought a bag of Gardetto's "original" snack mix from a vending machine and after I opened it I noticed there were no sesame nuggets.  I thought that was unusual but having in the past gotten bags with only a few nuggets I thought it was just a packaging anomaly.  However, then I noticed a couple of the little wavy snack sticks like those found in Chex Mix (a General Mills product, as is Gardetto's) and when I looked at the photo on the bag I saw no nuggets.  Reading the ingredients list comfirmed it: no sesame nuggets and apparently the wavy sticks are the replacement.

The nuggets were my favorite part of the mix!!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 11:55 AM (permalink)
    I honestly don't remember the sesame nuggets in Gardetto's. My favorite part is the rye chips, and they are certainly few and far between. I do seek out snacks with sesame ANYTHING!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
      Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 12:23 PM (permalink)
      Ann,

I skip the Gardetto's and mainline Pinah's for my rye chip fix. (Is there a needle & syringe emoticon?).

Jim

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
        Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 12:32 PM (permalink)
        A little Googling turned up a lot of unhappiness over the decision, which is referenced in this Wikipedia entry.

I like the rye chips as well (when eating Gardetto's my order is pretzels, breadsticks, rye chips, sesame nuggets/sticks) but they seem to take on a better flavor after they've been tumbling around in the bag with the other components.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
          Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 1:10 PM (permalink)
          I can't stand the sesame nuggets, they get thrown out. I don't even get Gardetto's original mix anymore anyway, since you can get bags of just the roasted garlic rye chips.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
            Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 1:35 PM (permalink)
            ScreamingChicken

This morning I bought a bag of Gardetto's "original" snack mix from a vending machine and after I opened it I noticed there were no sesame nuggets.  I thought that was unusual but having in the past gotten bags with only a few nuggets I thought it was just a packaging anomaly.  However, then I noticed a couple of the little wavy snack sticks like those found in Chex Mix (a General Mills product, as is Gardetto's) and when I looked at the photo on the bag I saw no nuggets.  Reading the ingredients list comfirmed it: no sesame nuggets and apparently the wavy sticks are the replacement.

Oh NO!!! I always thought they should market bags of just the sesame nuggets!!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
              Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 1:43 PM (permalink)
              The garlic rye chips have always been my fav!!! Haven't had any in years, now you guys have stirred that up in my brain!!

drummagick

• Total Posts: 167
                Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Fri, 05/24/13 4:12 PM (permalink)
                kevincad

ScreamingChicken

Oh NO!!! I always thought they should market bags of just the sesame nuggets!!

+3

big14fan

• Total Posts: 1
                  Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Sat, 02/1/14 2:25 AM (permalink)
                  Gardetto's are my favorite snack, but I only buy them occasionally as a special treat. So when I bought a bag today for a long road trip, I definitely noticed no sesame nuggets in the bag! I thought I was going crazy and kept digging through the bag trying to find one. I finally came to the realization that they had been eliminated. I'm sure this was to cut costs and increase profits! I WON'T be buying Gardetto's anymore, as a matter of principle. I am so sick of these giant corporations trying to downsize and cheapen everything thinking we won't notice. It reminds me of when Taco Bell had the incident where one batch of bad green onions made people sick--they stopped putting green onions on their stuff forever after that! And I stopped eating there after I figured it out!

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                    Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Tue, 02/4/14 10:03 AM (permalink)
                    My guess was that it was an allergy thing. Sesame is actually ranked pretty high on things children who have food allergies have a problem with. People with peanut allergies can also have a cross-reaction from eating sesame (and vice-versa). Just speculation on my part, but it's a possible explanation given all the press food allergies have gotten in the past few years.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
                      Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Tue, 02/4/14 10:19 AM (permalink)
                      SeamusD
                      I think you're right about the allergy thing. 
                      Our local grocery store sells bags of just sesame nuggets.  Every once in awhile I buy one......knowing full well that it'll be gone very quickly.  I love those things.  I'm with Ann.......I too like anything sesame.

TomEN

• Total Posts: 34
                        Re:Gardetto's removes sesame nuggets Sun, 03/2/14 12:26 PM (permalink)
                        Well that stinks.  Those were rather good and one of the best parts of the mix besides the rye bread.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com