The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Tue, 06/11/13 7:48 PM (permalink)
Here is our itinerary for the summer.  I invite everyone to come and see us.  You won't be sorry.

Friday, 6/21 Vanguard-Rehearsal/Show Day - Clovis, CA - Tollhouse, CA Friday,
6/21 Mid Cal Tour of Champions - Clovis, CA Saturday,
 6/22 DCI West - Stanford, CA
Sunday, 6/23 Moonlight Classic - Sacramento, CA
6/24 Pacific Procession - Santa Clara - Santa Clara,
 6/28 Portland Summer Music Games - Hillsboro, OR
6/29 Seattle Summer Music Games - Renton, WA 
7/1 Drums Along the Columbia - Pasco, WA
7/2 Boise Summer Music Games - Boise, ID
7/3 Corps Encore - Ogden, UT
7/6 Drums Along the Rockies - Denver, CO
7/8 Drums Across Nebraska - Omaha, NE
7/10 Celebration in Brass - Waukee, IA
7/11 Tour of Champions - Central Missouri - Warrensburg, MO
7/13 DCI Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN
7/14 Tour of Champions - Northern Illinois - DeKalb, IL
7/18 DCI North Dallas - Denton, TX
7/20 DCI Southwestern Championship - San Antonio, TX
7/21 Tour of Champions - Texas - Austin, TX
7/23 DCI Dallas presented by North Texas Festival of Drums and Bugles - Dallas, TX
7/26 Masters of the Summer Music Games - Murfreesboro, TN
7/27 NightBEAT - Charlotte, NC
7/28 DCI Atlanta Southeastern Championship - Atlanta, GA
7/30 Emerald City Music Games - Dublin, OH
7/31 Lake Erie Fanfare - Erie, PA
8/2 DCI Eastern Classic - Allentown, PA
8/4 Tour of Champions - Allentown, PA
8/5 Tour of Champions - Buffalo - Orchard Park, NY
8/8 DCI World Championship Prelims - Indianapolis, IN
8/8 DCI 2013: Big, Loud & Live
8/9 DCI World Championship Semifinals - Indianapolis, IN
8/10 DCI World Championship Finals - Indianapolis, IN

Poverty Pete

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Tue, 06/11/13 7:49 PM (permalink)
    MikeS, tell Aunt Agatha to come see me. She looks like she could use a good meal.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
      Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Tue, 06/11/13 8:20 PM (permalink)
      We'll see you at the Emerald City Music Games in Dublin, OH in July!

Poverty Pete

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sun, 06/30/13 12:47 AM (permalink)
        Yesterday, MR. Chips and Trudy joined me for the event in Portland. A fabulous time was had by all. Vanguard was in fine form, and received a standing ovation.
        Tonight the show is in Seattle, and then we're heading towards Denver.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
          Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sun, 06/30/13 3:11 AM (permalink)
          Too bad Phoenix isn't on the list, however if they played here in the summer, they would all be in the hospital with heat stroke!
          Wait a minute-----They could play indoors at Chase Field or the University of Phoenix Stadium!!

buffetbuster

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sun, 06/30/13 2:54 PM (permalink)
            Spoke to Poverty Pete a few days ago and it looks like I am penciled in to see the show on July 31st in Erie.  Very much looking forward to it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
              Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sun, 06/30/13 3:45 PM (permalink)
              We'll be at the show in Dublin the day before Erie.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sun, 06/30/13 5:09 PM (permalink)
                Almost 50 years ago my college friends were involved with The  Cavaliers. I spent one summer following them and then whenever TV would cover DCI. I even have been to the show at Northern Illinois University maybe 30 years ago. Always have enjoyed drum corps.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                  Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sun, 06/30/13 5:42 PM (permalink)
                  Really enjoyed the show with Pete. Bands were skilled  and Pete was talkative and enjoyable. Hope as many roadfooders as possible will see the show.

<message edited by mr chips on Sun, 06/30/13 5:46 PM>

Poverty Pete

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Mon, 07/1/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
                    ...and the heat goes on. Tomorrow's forecast is 106 degrees in Boise. It's even hotter than that on the field.

We baked apples for breakfast yesterday morning. Vanguard is legendary on the drum corps circuit for their food.

Poverty Pete

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Thu, 07/4/13 4:15 PM (permalink)
                      It's not all work. The corps is enjoying a day off in Aspen. I'm in Denver, setting up for tomorrow's rehearsal. My day off will be tomorrow.
                      We're doing well. In competition thus far, we have several third place finishes, one second place, and three or four firsts. We're ranked fourth in the race to the Championships in Indianapolis.

Foodbme

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Thu, 07/4/13 8:34 PM (permalink)
                        PETE,
                        My Bride and I went to The Red Mountain Café last night. We tried to get to when you were here.
                        Put it on your list next trip out here.
                        Had the Wed-Fri Special Fish Fry! Outstanding! Fresh Cod or you can get Catfish, nicely breaded and cooked just right. Probably served 1 to1 and a half pounds of fish! Couldn't finish it and had enough left for a nice sized sandwich. Excellent Coleslaw and a piece of made on premises Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie.

Poverty Pete

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Fri, 07/5/13 3:53 PM (permalink)

buffetbuster

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Fri, 07/19/13 3:33 PM (permalink)
                            Just spoke to Poverty Pete, as we were making plans to meet in Erie, PA on July 31st.  He was calling from San Antonio, raving about the great tacos he was enjoying.  I have never heard him in better spirits.  As he said, he is having the Summer of his life!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Fri, 07/19/13 4:34 PM (permalink)
                              I spoke with him yesterday when he was in Denton, Texas. We'll be meeting him on the 29th when he gets to Dublin, Ohio. Plans call for the three of us heading to The Top steak house in Columbus for dinner that night.
                              http://thetopsteakhouse.com/

John B

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sat, 07/20/13 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                We got to see the show in Denton on Thursday night. I had never been to one before and it was a great show. The place was sold out.

Foodbme

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sat, 07/20/13 3:06 AM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

I  spoke with him yesterday when he was in Denton, Texas. We'll be meeting him on the 29th when he gets to Dublin, Ohio. Plans call for the three of us heading to The Top steak house in Columbus for dinner that night.

Now, that place IS right out of the 50's!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sat, 07/20/13 10:56 AM (permalink)
                                    Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

I  spoke with him yesterday when he was in Denton, Texas. We'll be meeting him on the 29th when he gets to Dublin, Ohio. Plans call for the three of us heading to The Top steak house in Columbus for dinner that night.

Now, that place IS right out of the 50's!

Until recently they had phone jacks in every booth in case you received or needed to make a call. Waitresses would bring a phone to you.

buffetbuster

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sat, 07/20/13 3:19 PM (permalink)
                                      Michael-
                                      Now that is really cool!  This makes me really want to visit it someday.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Sat, 07/20/13 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                        buffetbuster

Michael-
                                        Now that is really cool!  This makes me really want to visit it someday.

Well, you could always skip G&R's fried bologna sandwich for a steak.

lleechef

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Tue, 07/30/13 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                          We spent the last two days with Poverty Pete.  We went to The Top steakhouse last night.  Steve and I had the Kansas City dry aged strip steak, MH had a filet.  The steaks were great and the ambiance was just like an old fashioned steakhouse......kind of dark, long bar, excellent service, great wine list. 
                                          Today for lunch the guys went to Katzinger's........a pretty decent deli in Columbus.  I stayed home to wait for the plumber but they brought me a pastrami and swiss on rye which was very good.
                                          Then tonight the Emerald City Music Games in Dublin, OH.  Absolutely amazing.  mr chips, we saw the Oregon Crusaders and they were great!  Foodbme, we also saw The Academy.  We loved Lola and the sing-along to Piano Man.
                                          But Steve said they saved the best for last..........his Santa Clara Vanguard who performed several songs from Les Miserables.  Michael and I were blown out of the water..........especially me because I saw Les Miz three times on stage in Boston and knew all the songs.   
                                          They only have a few more performances left..........Erie, PA, Allentown, PA, Orchard Park, NY and Indianapolis.  If any of you are within driving distance of any of the above, make the effort to go......you won't be sorry!!!!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Wed, 07/31/13 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                            lleechef is right. It was an amazing experience. I'd not seen a drum and bugle corps performance in a lot of years, and these kids resembled the stuff I remember only in that they had musical instruments and wore uniforms. It was fantastic. And the Vanguard didn't belong in the same competition universe as the other units, as wonderful as they all were. The kids from Santa Clara were in a class by themselves. No wonder Poverty is so proud of them.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                                              Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Wed, 07/31/13 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                              I am so bummed I was not able to make it to the show in Clovis. As a veteran of high school and college marching bands, I really appreciate what people like Steve do with these kids. It's a wonderful thing, and kudos to Steve for his work with them.

lleechef

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Wed, 07/31/13 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                                Ed
                                                These kids make the OSU band (and many other major college bands) look like a bunch of 5th graders.  Really.  Their precision and pitch is amazing.  And then there are the flag corps......throwing "rifles", batons, flags, catching and dancing and performing in complete unison.  Truly inspiring young adults.  Many times during the show I had tears in my eyes, it was that beautiful.
                                                I forgot to mention that Santa Clara Vanguard placed FIRST last night!!!!!
                                                <message edited by lleechef on Wed, 07/31/13 5:07 PM>

lleechef

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Wed, 08/7/13 4:33 PM (permalink)

Michael Hoffman

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Wed, 08/7/13 4:43 PM (permalink)
                                                    I spoke with Poverty earlier and he reported that the Santa Clara Cadets (sort of the Vanguard's JV squad) won the Worlds Open title in competition at Michigan City, Indiana. We saw them perform in Dublin, Ohio and they were terrific.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                                                      • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                      Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Wed, 08/7/13 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                                      Awesome!

Congrats, Cadets and Poverty Pete. Well done!

Foodbme

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Wed, 08/7/13 10:58 PM (permalink)
                                                        Can't make it to a live performance???
                                                        Get the Blu Ray or DVD's or CD's
                                                        If you have a big screen TV and/or Surround Sound, these will blow your socks (AND Panties) off!
                                                        Drum Corps International (DCI) web site.
                                                        http://www.dcistore.org/2012-Audio_Video/products/74/

<message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 08/7/13 11:07 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Thu, 08/8/13 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                                          Congrats to lleechef for getting the letter published!  I am still kicking myself for not being able to drive up to Erie and seeing them in person.  Hopefully, Poverty Pete will do this again next year.

lleechef

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Summer of Music; Vanguard on the Road Thu, 08/8/13 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                            bb
                                                            Needless to say, I was very impressed!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com