Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Blackberry Harvest Time

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Blackberry Harvest Time Sun, 06/16/13 8:41 PM (permalink)
My tree is over loaded with them this year, the conditions were perfect, HOT and WET.
The are as big as the tip of my thumb, sweet and yummy, had some on vanilla ice cream last night.

I am going to make some jam and preserves this week with more and then maybe freeze some, and then maybe give some away and then maybe...

Did I say there were LOTS this year.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
    Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Sun, 06/16/13 8:57 PM (permalink)
    My mulberry tree is loaded, but the thing's grown so tall only the birds can get to them. No raspberrys yet.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 739
      Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 11:45 AM (permalink)
      Make wine.

Tony Bad

Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 12:22 PM (permalink)
        My blackberries were under 6 feet of salt water last fall thanks to Sandy. They are showing signs they MAY recover, but no blackberries or grapes this year. Oddly, the raspberries, which were higher up the hill and just got their feet wet, are looking better than ever.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 12:41 PM (permalink)
          we had a major crop of strawberries, now slowed to a trickle... Pie cherry tree gave us 6 quarts of tart cherry preserves. Plums are next.
          Crows and deer are working the immature apples and pears...I am going to do some shotgunning on weekdays when the neighborhood is quiet.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 12:41 PM (permalink)
            we had a major crop of strawberries, now slowed to a trickle... Pie cherry tree gave us 6 quarts of tart cherry preserves. Plums are next.
            Crows and deer are working the immature apples and pears...I am going to do some shotgunning on weekdays when the neighborhood is quiet.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
              Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 12:46 PM (permalink)
              Make a crumble with them!  Actually, this was made with olallieberries from the market yesterday, but blackberries are in their heritage.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 1:25 PM (permalink)
                Al - it is funny the local strawberries here are just now hitting their stride looks like we are about 7-10 days behind you weather wise since you are in the "south" of us at least

Sundancer7

Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 1:27 PM (permalink)
                  Tony Bad

My blackberries were under 6 feet of salt water last fall thanks to Sandy. They are showing signs they MAY recover, but no blackberries or grapes this year. Oddly, the raspberries, which were higher up the hill and just got their feet wet, are looking better than ever.

Tony I did not know you got Sandied.  I hope all turned out well except your blackberries.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 1:55 PM (permalink)
                    Tony - When the jam is done I will send you some
                    Jcheese - not much on wine - Last time I made it I think they are still scraping the skins from the ceiling of that house.

I was about 4 and we were mashing the berries by hand to release their juices, and I was really getting into the mashing part when I felt this "bug" crawl up my elbow (it was a red grape skin not a bug) and I freaked out and shook my hands without cleaning them off first and...

WOW did mom ever get mad at the mess - they wouldnt let me mash anymore berries.  That was the last time we made wine too.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7607
                      Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 2:13 PM (permalink)
                      Great story, Don!

Reminded me of my popcorn story.  I worked the candy and coin counter in a department store which also involved selling popcorn.

I was handing a bag of popcorn to a customer when I noticed a spider on my arm.

Let us just say that there was popcorn everywhere.

I'd love to plant some boysenberries but my patio is too small.  They'd have to fight with the mint to see who would win.

My dad had some awesome boysenberries growing years ago.

Here's a simple recipe:

Lazy Man’s Cobbler

1 stick melted butter
                      1 cup sugar
                      1 cup milk
                      1 cup flour
                      3 tsp Baking Powder

Stir dry ingredients well and pour in the melted butter, stirring well.  Pour in to am 11” x 8 inch pan.

Take any kind of fruit and dump in.  Sweeten if needed.

Bake for 45 minutes at 300º.

or a wee bit harder:

Cannon Beach Blackberry Cobbler

Serves 8-10

1 cup all-purpose flour
                       1/2 cup sugar
                       1/2 teaspoon baking powder
                       2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
                       1/2 cup milk
                       1 pint (2 cups) fresh Marion berries, or other blackberries, or 2 cups frozen Marion berries, thawed in a single layer on a paper towel for 20 minutes
                       1/2 to 1 cup sugar, for berries
                       1 cup hot water. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.

Stir together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, butter and milk. Toss the berries with the sugar to taste and stir into the batter. Spoon the batter into the baking dish. Pour 1 cup hot water over all and bake for 45 (50 minutes for frozen berries), until the batter rises to the surface around the edges of the pan and is light golden brown

iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 397
                        Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 2:26 PM (permalink)
                        My Boysenberries are doing awesome!  Its funny because until I actually discovered that they were indeed Boysenberry plants I kept cutting them down because I thought they were weeds!  All of a sudden recently however I noticed an abundance of berries of some kind growing on them and not knowing for sure what they were took them to a local nursery for ID......... sure enough = Boysenberries!  
                        I made the mistake of trying to dig one up a couple of days ago to transplant it along my back fence but alas.......they dont take kindly to being dug up and transplanted.................it died! 
                        I'm just going to leave the rest alone where they are and let them yield!
                        As to your Mint...........that stuff multiplies like rabbits............  I have dug mine up SO many times but it keeps growing back.  We use it for making tea!
                        My veggies tho are doing AWESOME and I should have a good supply this year of Beefsteak tomatoes, Cilantro, Sweet Basil and Jalapenos up the ying yang!
                        Lemons, Oranges, tangerines and White peaches are all doing terrific as well and I actually need to pick some of them for give away.  Just waiting for the Avocados now to produce and I'm all set!!

Sundancer7

Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 2:28 PM (permalink)
                          I certainly enjoy the taste of blackberries or red raspberries.  The only issue I have with jam or the raw berry is the seeds get jammed into my teeth which requires quick and thorough flossing.  The jelly works just fine for me although harder to make and more expensive to buy.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
                            Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Mon, 06/17/13 5:02 PM (permalink)
                            I used to pick big fat juicy blackberries all around my parents' house when I was a kid.  My mother would make fried pies with them........dear Lord, they were excellent. 

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Tue, 06/18/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
                              lleechef

I used to pick big fat juicy blackberries all around my parents' house when I was a kid.  My mother would make fried pies with them........dear Lord, they were excellent. 

I bet they were!!!

Sundancer7

Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Tue, 06/18/13 5:44 PM (permalink)
                                I see huge blackberry bush's beside the road everywhere.  Usually some picker have them staked out.  I love the taste but the seeds do not work for me.

Paul E. Smith
                                Knoxville, TN

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                                  Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Tue, 06/18/13 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                  iluvcfood - I wanna go shopping in your yard!

Mar - those recipes look very easy and tasty!  My crumble had like a tablespoon of sugar, some lemon juice and vanilla extract in the berries, and just oats, flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon & almonds in the topping--all stuff that's usually in the pantry, too.  Less calories than most desserts and good for breakfast!

lleechef - Do you ever make fried pies now?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
                                    Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Tue, 06/18/13 11:14 PM (permalink)
                                    l2b
                                    I have made them, but not lately.  MH and I are not big dessert eaters, but I think I will make a batch when the Ohio peaches are in season.  I have my mother's "starter" pie crust in the freezer.......her combination of flour, Crisco and salt.  All I have to do is add sour milk (soured with lemon juice).  I have made a lot of pies using her "starter" but I dunno........hers always tasted better than mine!!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Blackberry Harvest Time Wed, 06/19/13 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                      lleechef

l2b
                                      I have made them, but not lately.  MH and I are not big dessert eaters, but I think I will make a batch when the Ohio peaches are in season.  I have my mother's "starter" pie crust in the freezer.......her combination of flour, Crisco and salt.  All I have to do is add sour milk (soured with lemon juice).  I have made a lot of pies using her "starter" but I dunno........hers always tasted better than mine!!

everything that "mom" made her's always tasted better.  I have noticed that with a lot of the things that I loved growing up that mom made, just doesnt taste the same to me even using her recipes.  I think it must be that extra special ingredient she put into everything "Love".

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com