The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend

Smitty in CT

• Total Posts: 20
North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 9:21 AM (permalink)
I'm currently living in Connecticut, so the choices for a "real" Roast Beef sandwich are few and far between...

This past weekend I had to attend some school gradiation parties up in Massachusetts so I figured I'd bring my 15 year old son along and let him try what a Roast Beef sandwich is supposed to taste like...

We started off Saturday morning and headed north through Worcester (pronounced Woosta) and went through the WPI campus and found "New England Roast Beef", we so far so good, they got the name right..
I ordered a large & a junior with sauce, the sandwiches served were generous portions, the junior was on a standard hamburger roll land the large was served on a sesame "hard roll", the meat was tender but not all that flavorful, the sauce was the standard "red James River-style" BBQ sauce, overall I give it 6 out of 10 stars....  My son loved their battered onion rings...

We stopped at the graduation parties that were scheduled then we headed to Harrison's Roast Beef in North Andover...
again I redered the same 1 and a half with sauce... I have only recently discovered Harrison's, it's not far off of 495 nad is one of the better Roast Beef shops in the area..  The Roast Beef was super tender, very flavorful, the rolls were soft and a little doughy, but overall  I give Harrison's 9 out of 10 in my unscientific scale..  I liked the onion rings at Harrison's better (fresh cut tossed with a light flour before frying) but my son didin't like them that way...

Sunday morning we did some running around and hit "Land & Sea" on the Peabody / Lynnfield line.  Land & Sea was the place I grew up on, in my mind's eye they were the best, I don't know if it was time or if I hit them on an off day, the Roast Beef was good The rolls OK, but it didn't live up to my memories...  only a 7 out of 10...

We went to another grad / father's day party, but before heading home I had one more stop to make, Nick's Famous Roast Beef in Beverly, MA,  it was a little out of the way but well worth the trip... The Roast Beef was perfection, tinly sliced, full of flavor, the rolls were soft but not doughy, my son couldn't believe how good they were after trying several others over the weekend.... Nick's get a 10 out of 10 form my son and I ....  We also ordered 7 sandwiches "to go".

We headed back to CT,  the folks we've shared the sandwiches with can't believe how good a "plain old" Roast Beef sandwich can taste...

Smitty

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
    Re:North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 9:58 AM (permalink)
    Smitty in CT
    I'm currently living in Connecticut, so the choices for a "real" Roast Beef sandwich are few and far between...

Out of curiosity, what are some of these few-and-far-between choices?

I moved here from the Midwest, and quickly discovered that beef and pork aren't things that New England does well in general, except in the form of sausage.  I've been desperate for some good beef from somewhere that isn't a pricey steakhouse.

Smitty in CT

Re:North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 11:06 AM (permalink)
      The best "Roast Beef" that is close (I bring my own James River BBQ sauce) is in Wallingford, CT, about 20 minutes or so from Middletown.

It's called Vinny's Deli, 567 Center Street, Wallingford, CT, the Roast Beef is very good, but cooked a little too much for my taste and the rolls are more of a Portuguese hard roll.... But, for Connecticut, they are as close to a "real" Roast Beef sandwich as youre going to get...

Smitty

SRB

Re:North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 11:39 AM (permalink)
        I went to college and grad school right around the corner from Nick's, and it's always been my gold standard.  I'm in Worcester now, and only tried New England Roast Beef once.  It just wasn't close enough to the good stuff to bother with.  Major League Roast Beef on Route 20 in Auburn does better, so when I want a fix and can't get up to the North Shore, that's my go-to spot.

Once you get beyond I-495, the roast beef pickings are pretty slim

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
          Wow!
          I never would have imagined that Connecticut was so roast beef deprived.

There are many wonderful places to get a solid Roast Beef here in Rhode Island as well as where I grew up on Long Island... 

Smitty in CT

Re:North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 12:38 PM (permalink)
            I've tried Miller's Roast Beef in North Providence, but it doesn't compare to Nick's....

Miller's was almost well done and what they served for sauce was a crime...

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
              Smitty in CT

I've tried Miller's Roast Beef in North Providence, but it doesn't compare to Nick's....

Miller's was almost well done and what they served for sauce was a crime...

I had the exact opposite experience. I went to Nick's and requested medium rare and I what I ended up getting was way beyond well done...I haven' been back to Nick's since.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                Re:North Shore (Boston) Roast Beef weekend Mon, 06/17/13 5:23 PM (permalink)
                What cut of Beef do they use to make these sandwiches and do they season them any special way?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com