The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What are some gluten free snacks or lunch?

richardbarnet

• Total Posts: 3
What are some gluten free snacks or lunch? Thu, 07/4/13 6:35 AM (permalink)
Hi,

Going gluten free and I wanted to know some healthy & that I can eat in lunch.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
    Re:What are some gluten free snacks or lunch? Thu, 07/4/13 4:28 PM (permalink)
    Why are you going gluten free? I'm asking to get a baseline on "healthy".

Bart

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
      Re:What are some gluten free snacks or lunch? Thu, 07/4/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
      It is increasingly easy to find almost anything you can think of gluten free. While some people are gluten free as a fad some people like myself have celiacs disease and really have to be careful. You can find gluten free pizza, hotdogs, mustard, pie, bagels, cupcakes, and on and on. In my neighborhood I can walk to a pizza place that has many gluten free choices and at least six kinds of gluten free cookies and crackers, etc. Many luten free bakeries exist all over the country.Many restaurants have gluten free menus and almost any good restaurant can steer you to healthy choices.
      I was recently in Ann Arbor and decided to go to Zingerman's Roadhouse ( reviewed here). I sat at the bar as I was alone and had a cocktail and perused the menu. I noticed gluten free fried chicken and it had been a while since I had fried chicken so I ordered that and a salad. In about two minutes a chef was at my side apologizing that the flour he used for the gluten free chicken they had run out of. So he offered my five different options on gluten free chicken he could do. We decided on one and it was amazing. The restaurant also sent over a huge plate of appetizers and a free drink and some other snacks.  The key to gluten free eating is to ask and make decisions that work for you. there are some good apps for iphones that will lead you in the right direction. I travel making films and need to find options wherever I am and it is easier every day.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
        Re:What are some gluten free snacks or lunch? Fri, 07/5/13 1:37 PM (permalink)
        smokestack lightning
        It is increasingly easy to find almost anything you can think of gluten free. While some people are gluten free as a fad some people like myself have celiacs disease and really have to be careful.

I had a friend who, when he was a high school athlete, discovered that he was suffering from rapid bone loss; he was a celiac. As you have pointed out, some people are going gluten free as a fad, but there is currently a lot of overdiagnosis (often self-diagnosis) of celiac disease, which can make it harder on those who really have it, and some to even say that it is a phony illness.

Bart

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com