Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 41
Dianaesd

• Total Posts: 14
My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 2:21 PM (permalink)
We're actually doing the ribs tomorrow.  So today I'm making my potato salad.  DH likes Miracle Whip so that's all I've ever purchased.  He recently asked me to get some mayo, so I did.  Am thinking of making the potato salad with the mayo...can y'all even tell the difference?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
    Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 2:43 PM (permalink)
    I can.  Do not like Miracle Whip.....too sweet.  I'm making potato salad right now and I'll be using Hellmann's mayo.

Dianaesd

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 5:49 PM (permalink)
      That's too funny!  Publix had Hellmann's BOGO yesterday so I put it on my list....but this one woman had all 38 jars (of the blue-top original) from the shelf in her cart!  I had to smile & ask if she would mind sharing just 2 jars with me? (The cashier guessed that she might be an "extreme-couponer"--they tend to buy in bulk like that.)
      <message edited by Dianaesd on Thu, 07/4/13 5:51 PM>

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
        Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 6:13 PM (permalink)
        My husband is in charge of the potato salad. He uses mayo.

Sundancer7

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 7:16 PM (permalink)
          Doncha think every body has their personal taste.  personally I like Mayo and wife liked salad dressing.  She won out and we bought salad dressing for years.  She passed six years ago and now I buy mayo only.  I still buy some salad dressing for some of the things I like it with.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

lleechef

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 7:43 PM (permalink)
            Actually, my favorite side dish for BBQ is collard greens and smoked beans with pulled pork.  But the potato salad will go well with the cheeseburgers.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
              Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 7:52 PM (permalink)
              How 'bout those greens and beans at Chubby's?

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                Chubby's greens and his beans are terrific but my favorite dish is his fried potatoes  with sausage!!  (talk about heart attack in a bowl!)

Michael Hoffman

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 8:17 PM (permalink)
                  I'm still trying to stop dreaming about the cream of crab soup. Oh, and the chili.

Sundancer7

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Thu, 07/4/13 9:18 PM (permalink)
                    We plant collards in our garden each fall after all the other goodies have gone down hill.  After about two months the collards are available for picking after the leafs are large.  I put the leafs in a pot after I have chopped them down to small size and put some Cumberland gap smoked jowl, some pork shoulder smoked, onions, garlic, jalapeno, and chicken stock.  I let it fly for about two hours on medium and enjoy it with some fried cornbread.

Not bad with some nice BBQ.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
                      Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 2:01 AM (permalink)
                      Mayo in potato salad - The only way to go!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                        Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 6:06 AM (permalink)
                        Miracle Whip is a very bad thing...Russ

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 3:15 PM (permalink)
                          The only time I liked Miracle Whip was when my neighbor made her tuna noodle salad. Loved it! Otherwise I grew up with Hellmanns. My cousin in N.C. introduced me to Dukes mayo.I have her send me jars twice a year. Lisa, see if you can find it in your stores...........

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                            Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 4:24 PM (permalink)
                            I know Publix is one of the most accommodating supermarkets there is when it comes to customer service but I kind of question them allowing a customer to buy every available jar of a new weekly special, thereby inconveniencing no doubt several customers who came in to buy a reasonable couple of jars. 

Dianaesd

That's too funny!  Publix had Hellmann's BOGO yesterday so I put it on my list....but this one woman had all 38 jars (of the blue-top original) from the shelf in her cart!  I had to smile & ask if she would mind sharing just 2 jars with me? (The cashier guessed that she might be an "extreme-couponer"--they tend to buy in bulk like that.)

jackd418

• Total Posts: 49
                              Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 4:37 PM (permalink)
                              My favorite mayo is JFG.Kinda a southern product.much better than Hellmans.Miracle Whip is from the devil.Dukes is almost as good.

agnesrob

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                My favorite side has to be my husbands potato salad! Very good and always with mayo!
                                <message edited by agnesrob on Fri, 07/5/13 5:17 PM>

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                  Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                  I think that I make outstanding potato salad .................but would your husband share his recipe?
                                  <message edited by Greymo on Fri, 07/5/13 5:47 PM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                    • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                    Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                    Proper potato salad contains no mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. It is flavored with apple cider vinegar, Heinz to be precise.

agnesrob

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 7:12 PM (permalink)
                                      Greymo,  There are a few things I insist on not making since my husband makes those things. Gumbo and potato salad are two of those things. I know he cooks the potatoes until they are very tender. He also uses mayo, mustard, hard boiled eggs, sweet relish, chopped red onion and chopped celery.
                                      As per JRPfeff, I grew up with German style potato salad. No mayo, only oil, vinegar and some seasonings.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                        • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 7:32 PM (permalink)
                                        A good 'eggy' Potato Salad is a fine side dish for BBQ, especially Pork BBQ, However my favorite side-dish  is thick-sweet meat-shred laden BBQ Beans Like Arthur Bryants, Brick Pit, and many other great BBQ Joints do them.  If the spoon/fork remains vertical after being stuck in the pot, the consistency is correct.
                                        <message edited by mayor al on Fri, 07/5/13 7:34 PM>

lleechef

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                          mayor al

A good 'eggy' Potato Salad is a fine side dish for BBQ, especially Pork BBQ, However my favorite side-dish  is thick-sweet meat-shred laden BBQ Beans Like Arthur Bryants, Brick Pit, and many other great BBQ Joints do them.  If the spoon/fork remains vertical after being stuck in the pot, the consistency is correct.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!

agnesrob

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                            Agreed! Sometimes I think my husband's is akin to a mashed potato salad!

lleechef

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Fri, 07/5/13 8:57 PM (permalink)
                                              There is a fine line between slightly "crunchy potatoes" and "mashed potatoes" when making potato salad!  I cook mine whole, skins on, in barely simmering water until they're "just done". 
                                              MH thought he made the best potato salad until he tasted mine last night.  I cannot take the credit for this one........I learned from my fabulous cook/pie queen Mother.

Dianaesd

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Sat, 07/6/13 7:01 PM (permalink)
                                                ces1948

I know Publix is one of the most accommodating supermarkets there is when it comes to customer service but I kind of question them allowing a customer to buy every available jar of a new weekly special, thereby inconveniencing no doubt several customers who came in to buy a reasonable couple of jars. 

Dianaesd

Oh, I told the cashier in hopes she'd get a manager involved....but the BIG, BIG manager was there & he came over to bag my groceries, so I told him myself. When he was done bagging, he went to get the shelf re-stocked & remind all the cashiers of the "bag limit" (my words, not his).

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Sat, 07/6/13 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                                  Brick Pit had some of the best BBQ beans I have ever had!

Michael Hoffman

Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Sat, 07/6/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                    Brick Pit's beans were fantastic. But I liked Chubby's better.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                                      • Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                      Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Sun, 07/7/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                                      About 3 years ago my sister passed me a recipe that doesn't use mayo or miracle whip. I love all potato salads, but I've never made it any other way since trying hers.

Here are the ingredients and proportions:

5 lbs redskin potatoes
                                                      2 bunches of scallions
                                                      1 small bunch celery
                                                      a handful of parsley
                                                      5 hard boiled eggs
                                                      almost 1 cup olive oil
                                                      almost 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
                                                      salt and pepper

You know what to do. Adjust proportions to fit taste.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                                                        • Location: Saint Charles, MO
                                                        Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Sun, 07/7/13 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        potato salad with plenty of hard boiled eggs, vidalia onion, red skin potatoes, a bit of diced celery, and Hellmann's mayo is the way to go.  Maybe a squirt or two of mustard....and dribble in some cider vinegar before adding the mayo.
                                                        my favorite sides for BBQ, though, are a good tart vinegar based slaw, or some cucumbers, onions, and quartered tomato with a white vinegar/sugar/water bath.  Let them sit for a few hours in the fridge,then drain and serve.  The slaw or the cucumbers help cut the richness of the bbq.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                          • Location: Snellville, GA
                                                          Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Sun, 07/7/13 11:16 AM (permalink)
                                                          lleechef

I can.  Do not like Miracle Whip.....too sweet.  I'm making potato salad right now and I'll be using Hellmann's mayo.

If you've ever tried Duke's you'll put away the Hellmann's forever!!! The taste of the south!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                            • Location: Snellville, GA
                                                            Re:My favorite SIDE DISH for BBQ: Potato salad Sun, 07/7/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                                            ann peeples

The only time I liked Miracle Whip was when my neighbor made her tuna noodle salad. Loved it! Otherwise I grew up with Hellmanns. My cousin in N.C. introduced me to Dukes mayo.I have her send me jars twice a year. Lisa, see if you can find it in your stores...........

Indeed, I LOVE Dukes!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 41

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com