The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhandle

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 2 of 7, messages 31 to 60 of 184
will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 399
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 6:38 AM (permalink)
Frito Pie!  That looks fabulous.  Makes me want one NOW - even at 5:30am!

buffetbuster

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 7:10 AM (permalink)
    WJ-
    The food at Tyler's BBQ looks terrific.  Nice find!  Too bad you decided not to write reviews anymore, because that would be a good one.  Did you happen to ask why Golden Light Café calls their frito pie Flagstaff Pie?

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 8:08 AM (permalink)
      will_work_4_bbq

I took a look at the report first thing this morning and my stomach was growling too.

buffetbuster

I still have that one last review that I promised nearly a year and a half ago (Miss Myra's BBQ in Birmingham) 
      I neglected to ask the waitress at the Golden Light, the origin of the term, Flagstaff Pie.  I know that Route 66 does go through Flagstaff AZ and The Golden Light is on Route 66 so perhaps that might have something to do with it?

buffetbuster

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 8:14 AM (permalink)
        Glad to hear that Miss Myra's will still be getting a review.  It is worthy based on that banana pudding alone!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
          Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 5:18 PM (permalink)
          buffetbuster

Glad to hear that Miss Myra's will still be getting a review.  It is worthy based on that banana pudding alone!

I promise. I'll do that review before the end of the summer.

Hope to complete part 3 of this trip report sometime tomorrow evening.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
            Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 5:32 PM (permalink)
            When you do Miss Myra's be sure to include the part about how you arranged for the heaviest traffic in the universe on U.S. 280 to keep us from getting there to join you.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
              Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 5:49 PM (permalink)
              Yay!  A report on Miss Myra's!  We were so close......but yet so far.  Never saw traffic like that in NY, Boston or Paris.  Unbelievable.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Tue, 07/16/13 6:52 PM (permalink)
                lleechef

Yay!  A report on Miss Myra's!  We were so close......but yet so far.  Never saw traffic like that in NY, Boston or Paris.  Unbelievable.

That's Birmingham for you.  I HATED driving through that place to get to Dad's in FL.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Wed, 07/17/13 7:31 AM (permalink)
                  Michael Hoffman

When you do Miss Myra's be sure to include the part about how you arranged for the heaviest traffic in the universe on U.S. 280 to keep us from getting there to join you.

Yeah, thats it....Blame it on the "Yankee"

<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 07/17/13 7:34 AM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Wed, 07/17/13 10:54 AM (permalink)
                    Blame it on everyone wanting Banana Pudding! 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                      Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Wed, 07/17/13 11:07 AM (permalink)
                      wanderingjew

Michael Hoffman

Yeah, thats it....Blame it on the "Yankee"

Well of course.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Wed, 07/17/13 8:13 PM (permalink)
                        Thursday July 4

Back to the topic at hand... It's July 4...Independence day and nothing is really open today.... I had an average coffee at Roasters, a small two store mini coffee house chain in Amarillo about a half mile walk from my hotel...with an even less exciting muffin..

I didn't do much in the morning other than relax....however that would change at lunch time...

I was glad that Dyer's BBQ was open today....and like Roaster's, only a half mile walk from my hotel...

Located in an office park cum strip mall, it seemed to me that Dyer's was the "go to" BBQ joint before Tyler's came to town... I could smell the smoke as I walked towards the parking lot...

Once again the walls are adorned with Texas Style Motifs...

Thin, sweet vinegary bbq sauce arrives at the table...This is Texas.....is it really necessary??

Like Tyler's the day before I wanted to try a little bit of everyting and ordered "The Cowboy Special"...

Well, for starters they certainly don't skimp on portions...

Brisket, German Jalapeno Sausage which had a decent kick and Ribs arrived, along with creamy slaw (which was better than Tylers)  potato salad, crispy onion rings and a sweet piquant apricot sauce...

and that's not all...

Pinto beans and texas toast complete the meal....

Ok I'll be completely honest...The meal was a notch or two below Tyler's, but this was still better than average Texas Q... And a godsend when it seemed everything else was closed...

Here's a closer look at the meat on my plate..

After lunch...it was time to work some of it off at  Palo Duro Canyon State Park, about 40 minutes South East of Amarillo... Only a $5 entrance fee to enter the park it consists of an 8 mile driving trail with pull offs to stop and either hike or bike various trails around the park... Here are some photos...

As I exited the park, there was a nice display of Texas Long Horns..

Returning to my hotel, dinnertime was fast approaching..
                        Since several roadfood restaurants were closed for the holiday (some unexpectedly) I had texted the Chris half of Ayersian the day before to let him know I was spending a couple of days in Amarillo before returning to NM. He asked if I was planning to visit Arnold's Burgers....Well at first no...but... I went to check their facebook page and it indicated "we are open on July 4" so now Yes.... I first thought about walking the mile and a half trip to Arnold's. Being a little fatigued from walking around in the hot sun around Palo Duro Canon, I decided to drive and when I arrived I'm sure glad I did- I was Travelin' Manned
                        What to do... With very few resources and knowing just about everyplace was closed...I begrudgingly went to the one place I knew would be open...

Yep...You guessed it

The Big Texan

The place was packed (probably because it was the only place open (besides Dyers) and there was a wait for a table..I didn't have time to wait because I had plans after dinner. However there were seats at the bar...

Don't get me wrong..The Big Texan is a fun place (and I would visit again) however I've heard that meals there are just ordinary" The characters hanging out at the bar kept me thoroughly entertained.... Now what to order?? You would think a steak...well after being TTM'd at Arnold's I had "burgers on the brain"....So that's what I got...

a 1/2 pound cheeseburger with grilled onions (which were served on the side) once again there's no doubt the serving sizes here are generous, but lets be honest, this was a very ordinary burger, which was requested medium but actually was more or less medium well..

The cowboy beans which were my requested side, were just flat out watery and bland- a disappointment...

The Big Texan even carries there own personal selections of microbrew, but I didn't get any in the hopes that I would find Shiner at my next stop.

Even though the burger was a no-go I would return to try their steak (but only if Outlaw's Supper Club was closed) however I would certainly return if not for just a beer at the bar- it is a fun place..

Heading back towards the Stockyards I headed to my one ballpark stop on the trip..

Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium. Home of the Independent League Amarillo Sox. Again I'm not big on independent baseball, this being only my 4th independent ballpark that I've visited....Be that as it may, this 7500 seat stadium (the equivelent of double a ball) was packed...Only general admission seats remaining which were relegated to wooden benches (that at least had backs on them)...

The Sox were hosting the Newark Bears that evening..

The Sox even had a funny looking round headed mascot who was allowed to hold a baby...

Amarillo National Bank Stadium was an older tattered looking ballpark... The game itself  due to Newark's poor pitching was no contest....The Sox won...

Here is one sign assuring me that I was in Texas Panhandle cattle country..

After the game, (which was actually the second half of a double header) there was a nice fireworks display...After a delay of getting out of the ballpark (lots of cars, only one exit) I was back at my hotel and ready to sleep...

Much more to come..
                        <message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 07/17/13 8:34 PM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Wed, 07/17/13 9:19 PM (permalink)
                          What were the dessert choices at the Big Texan?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Thu, 07/18/13 6:42 AM (permalink)
                            ChiTownDiner

What were the dessert choices at the Big Texan?

A side of cow and a shot of bourbon?

I actually don't think they offered any desert on their menu. Besides with what I had to look forward to in about 24 hours, how could I?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Thu, 07/18/13 7:33 AM (permalink)
                              Both Dyer's BBQ and the BIG TEXAN are very convenient for travelers heading either way on I-40. Dyers is only a couple of blocks from an exit, and the Big Texan sits on the frontage road between two exits, very easy access.

We found that Apricot-based dipping sauce to be really great with the BBQ at Dyer's. We took home a bottle of it to use later.

I have not personally tried the "Free 72 oz Steak" challenge, but two of my sons did back in the late 80's when they rode cross country with me. Both completed the monster, then slept from Amarillo to OK City ,  We have enjoyed a couple of ribeyes, and a Brisket sandwich at the BT. It is our one stop when driving to CA (or back) on roadtrips.  Dyer's would be a close second choice.

Is "Beans and Things" another BBQ place downtown reviewed by the Sterns, and tried by us a decade ago, still there? It was pretty 'rag-tag' but had good Brisket also.
                              <message edited by mayor al on Thu, 07/18/13 7:38 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
                                Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Thu, 07/18/13 9:03 AM (permalink)
                                There are few things more American than barbecue and baseball on the 4th of July!  But you didn't have a hot dog at the game, WJ?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Thu, 07/18/13 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                  Fun report WJ! I want to try and make a frito pie...!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Thu, 07/18/13 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                    Al

I wasn't aware that the Stern's did a review of another bbq joint in Amarillo. I checked it appears Beans and Things is no longer in business.

Screaming Brad

How on earth could I wolf down hot dog after my meal at the Big Texan? I rarely ever eat at the ballpark (although I will have a hebrew national or two at McCoy stadium here in Pawtucket) I automatically assumed I could get a shiner at the ballpark- I had to settle for a Sam Adams.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Thu, 07/18/13 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                      CTD - BBQ, Burger, Baseball, Beer and FIREWORKS now that is a proper fourth of July, and Sam Adams on the fourth another good choice.

WJ - Looks like a great park and the ball park looked fun too.  I was going to comment about the fact that you dont like Independent League baseball, but you covered that also.

buffetbuster

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Fri, 07/19/13 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                        Really nice job with the scenery shots WJ, including the long horns.  Based on the bulls non-reaction, you apparently weren't wearing red that day!

We had a similar issue with many of the restaurants we tried to visit in Albuquerque being closed on July 4th.  Of course, we called ahead, so we didn't get TTMed.  That was the day we moved up to Santa Fe and there was no doubt that all of those restaurants would be open on the holiday.  There were too many tourists in town!

ChiTownDiner

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Fri, 07/19/13 8:15 AM (permalink)
                                          Too many Roadfooder's in town...

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Fri, 07/19/13 8:26 AM (permalink)
                                            Buffetbuster

Even calling in advance didn't help-
                                            Arnold's facebook page clearly noted they would be open July 4th-I believe their hours reflected they would be open till 8 or 8:30pm. I arrived at around 5:30pm and they were already closed.
                                            Golden Light told me they would be open July 4th when i called the week before. When I called again to confirm on the 3rd, they told me they would be closed
                                            Outlaw's Supper Club decided just to flat out close and start the holiday early on the 3rd..
                                            --
                                            We all know that the restaurants in Santa Fe decided to stay open because they knew Chi Town Diner was in town.
                                            --
                                            on an aside...Part 4 is slated for Sunday evening

buffetbuster

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Fri, 07/19/13 8:37 AM (permalink)
                                              Calling twice to confirm they would be open?  I've never even done that, although it paid off for you.  Arnold's being closed when they said they would be open reminds of what happened to you at Allen & Son.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Fri, 07/19/13 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                                buffetbuster

It's happened at least two times before that both on Memorial Day.
                                                BT recommended a banh mi place in San Francisco- I called the week before and was told they would be open Memorial Day- I think I called again to check again on Memorial Day and there was no answern

About 10 years ago the same thing happened in Des Moines IA- there was a restaurant on Roadfood- I don't remember the name but I believe it was a cafeteria- that had Sour Cream Pie on the Menu- they too told me they would be open on Memorial Day when I called the week before- when I got there, I was once again TTM'd (and that's before the TTM phrase even existed)

**edit***
                                                the roadfood restaurant was Baker's Cafeteria- it has since closed for good.
                                                <message edited by wanderingjew on Fri, 07/19/13 8:53 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Fri, 07/19/13 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                                  Maybe it is better off I didn't know this history previously or the term might have ended up being WJ'ed!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Sat, 07/20/13 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster

Maybe it is better off I didn't know this history previously or the term might have ended up being WJ'ed!

I still think the definition of being WJ'd is going to a restaurant just because there are one or two menu items that are iconically regional and then when you get there you find out that they "just" removed them from the menu  or they don't serve it on the day you happen to arrive.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                                      • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                      Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Sun, 07/21/13 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                                      We've got a cool T-shirt in NM that says "Seize Manana".

As to Chile Pie, it needs to be served in a small bag of Fritos if you want NM style! 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Sun, 07/21/13 8:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        Friday July 5

I found a better coffee house this morning. The 806 Coffee and Lounge- It was a mile and a half walk from my hotel. Little did I realize that walk took me right back to Historic Route 66 where I was 2 days earlier. Less corporate than Roasters a day before. then even had a "whole wheat everything bagel" which took me by surprise. Like, Cowboy Gelato, not the "typical" joint I would expect to find in Amarillo.

I had an early lunch since I will have a 4 1/2 hour drive ahead of me, the good thing is, I get to gain an hour again since I'll be back in Mountain Time..

My last stop in Amarillo was

The Stockyards Cafe...

Located smack in the middle of the Stockyards, this place is the real deal..
                                                        Cowboys

(and cowgirls) and all

I ordered what any self respecting Texan would order...

Chicken fried steak of course....Even better yet, served with fresh cut fries..
                                                        The peppery homemade gravy completes the meal. I would put this CFS in the same category as my favorites, Hoovers in Austin and Rooster's Cafe in Oklahoma City. 
                                                        My meal was completed with  a complimentary vanilla tasting banana pudding

Yes, it tasted like vanilla pudding, they probably would have been better off not serving it at all, but once again, inconsequential considering how the rest of the meal was.
                                                        The Stockyard Cafe is a true, authentic slice of Americana...
                                                        I arrived back in Albuquerque and actually stayed in Rio Rancho, a suburb that has grown considerably from the sleepy town that I remember back in the late 1980's..... I had some time to kill before dinner which was still several hours away and was getting hungry.. Luckily the bar attached to my hotel not only had a very nice selection of local microbrews but they whipped up a  hearty green chile stew as well served with a warm tortilla..

This held me over till dinner very nicely...

As I'm ready to head to dinner, Ralph Melton and and his better half, Ice Cream Chick are checking in (what are they doing here?) Then Billyboy and his, lovely girlfriend, Dayna are outside in the parking lot too ! (what are they doing here?) Well since we're all here we might as well head up to Santa Fe for dinner, right???? (unfortunately Ice Cream Chick was a little under the weather and couldn't join us)

Just under an hour later we made it to..

Harry's Roadhouse

More "Southwestern Hip" than "down and dirty roadhouse" the place was jammin' when we arrived.... But there's even bigger shocker.....when I see not only Buffetbuster, but Mariton, Chi Town Diner and his much better half, Patti, and everyone's favorite cousin, Cousin Johnnie....Well....the gangs all here...
                                                        We finally get seated at our table and peruse the menu which although liens southwest, actually has a little bit of everything...

We started out with an appetizer of fresh, warm blueberry pie a'la mode...

Blueberry pie you say???  Well you know what kind of company I'm keeping..
                                                        We moved on to a nice wild mushroom pizza

(I know what you're all thinking, and no I didn't melt)

We also shared a fig and greens salad which unfortunately I didn't a  photo of..

Finally my main course arrived..

Ranchero steak which packed more flavor than heat. Oaxacan Cheese Enchiladas bathed in a creamy oniony sauce with green chiles and cowboy beans (which were much better than the ones I enjoyed the day before at The Big Texan) Based on the meal so far, I can truly say that Harry's was another highlight of the trip.. But that's not all...there's dessert, dessert, dessert, dessert and even more dessert...Shared by all of us at the table of course..

We had coconut cream pie

Jack Daniels Chocolate Ice Cream

My favorite Banana Peanut Butter Cake with chocolate Ice Cream..

And sour cream coffee cake which Chi Town Diner described as "the sleeper"

Here are all the desserts lined up including Patti's ice cream sandwich in the background...

Besides closing the place down (yes we were the only patrons left) we obviously did some serious damage...

We returned back the hotel for a good nights rest as tomorrow is the "Big day" .
                                                        much more to come...
                                                        <message edited by wanderingjew on Sun, 07/21/13 8:57 PM>

catosaurus

Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Sun, 07/21/13 9:48 PM (permalink)
                                                          Wow.  I love living (and eating) vicariously through you on your road trips.  

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                                            • Location: west chester, PA
                                                            Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan Sun, 07/21/13 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                                            LAWD LUV A DUCK!..forget the rest of the food! Forget the fascinating company!  Just keep those desserts A'Rollin'!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 2 of 7, messages 31 to 60 of 184

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com