Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
berkovw

• Total Posts: 11
Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Mon, 07/15/13 11:49 PM (permalink)
I'm going to the Buffalo area on Thursday.  What's the best place to grab a beef on weck?

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
    Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 6:11 AM (permalink)

buffetbuster

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 6:57 AM (permalink)
      My favorite by far is Schwabl's.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 8:04 AM (permalink)
        Ditto for Schwabl's.
        Second place is Eckl's
        I didn't like Charlie the Butcher at all.. The meat was dry, overly well done and sliced too thick.

berkovw

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 8:57 AM (permalink)
          I think I'm going to go and try Charlie the Butcher's.  I'm hoping what you had was an aberration wanderingjew.

I would love to go to Schwabl's, but unfortunately, it's in the southern Buffalo area, and I'll be traveling through that area in the morning.  I'll be leaving on I-90 in the mid-afternoon, and Charlie's is the way.

Wish me luck.  Like I said, I'd love to go to Schwabl's because I've wanted to try it ever since Rick Sebak's documentary.

buffetbuster

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 9:06 AM (permalink)
            berkovw-
            Please report back and let us know about your meal at Charlie the Butcher's.  Even though my experiences there have been nothing special, a couple people who I trust (ChiTownDiner and TTM) really enjoyed the place. 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
              Just don't say I didn't warn you
              This was my sandwich

And yes it tasted as bad as it looks. I remember specifically asking for "medium rare" and this is what they gave me.
              I would never go back to Charlie the Butcher, not even to give it a second chance..

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                This was my sandwich

And yes it tasted as bad as it looks. I remember specifically asking for "medium rare" and this is what they gave me.
                I would never go back to Charlie the Butcher, not even to give it a second chance..

CLVdog

• Total Posts: 53
                  Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 11:32 AM (permalink)
                  The Bar Bill in East Aurora ! And their wings are great too.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 12:13 PM (permalink)
                    I really enjoyed Charlie The Butcher, perhaps even enough to post the same picture twice!  Charlie was at the helm, we sat at the counter and he was great about chatting and providing samples.  We tried almost everything on the menu which was a new concept to me and liked 'em all!  For the sake of brevity, I will only post this once. 

Davwud

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 1:33 PM (permalink)
                      wanderingjew

This was my sandwich

You need to give CTB another shot. That sandwich looks awful and no matter where it was served, it was totally wrong.

Below is what you should be getting.

DT

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
                        Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 2:02 PM (permalink)
                        Interesting observation, when I visited a Wegman's in Frederickburg VA I noticed they sold kimmelweck rolls.  So, if you have a Wegman's nearby, you can make your own.  Wegman's is an upstate NY company.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 2:03 PM (permalink)
                          Davwud,

I don't know when/if I'll ever find myself in Buffalo again. but I won't go back to Charlie the Butcher. I'm more than satisified  with Schwable's and Eckl's , besides I liked the atmosphere at Schwabl's and Eckl's- both were more "roadfoody"

starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
                            Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 2:09 PM (permalink)
                            schwabels is only about 10 or 15 mins from charlie the butchers.i'd go to schwabels over charlies any time.my choice for best beef and good wings in the area is barbils.charlie weighs everything.drives me nuts .if you ever make it to eckls try the german potato salad.

<message edited by starfire62 on Tue, 07/16/13 2:13 PM>

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
                              Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 2:52 PM (permalink)
                              I second Schwable's.  If it matters, I don't think Charlie's serves 'adult beverages' and Schwabel's has a full bar.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Tue, 07/16/13 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                I love the German Potato Salad at Eckls...would second starfire62. 

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                  Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 1:48 AM (permalink)
                                  I've been to both Schwabl's and Eckl's and I think that Schwabl's is definitely the better of the two, both in food and atmosphere.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4714
                                    Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 10:03 AM (permalink)
                                    No mention of Arby's yet?

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
                                      Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                      Schwabl's. No Question.

berkovw

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                        My main plan is go to Charlie the Butcher's.  However, after my last stop, I'll see how much time I have.  If I have the time, I'll go to Schwabl's.  I just need enough time to after I eat to get to Seneca Falls and see the Women's Rights National Historic Monument.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                          berkovw

My main plan is go to Charlie the Butcher's.  However, after my last stop, I'll see how much time I have.  If I have the time, I'll go to Schwabl's.  I just need enough time to after I eat to get to Seneca Falls and see the Women's Rights National Historic Monument.

berkovw

Just wondering why you are so gung ho on Charlie The Butcher...
                                          I know others have different opinions on the Sandwich itself, but on an aside, the place completely lacked atmosphere

buffetbuster

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 3:38 PM (permalink)
                                            berkovw

Nice!  I was just there a few months ago.  Don't forget to check out the statues of when Susan B. Anthony met Elizabeth Cady Stanton, which is right across the river from the other sites.

Have fun!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                              Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                              I can only say that my experience at Charlie the Butcher was different than both wanderingjew's and buffetbuster's. This was my sandwich from Charlie:

This sandwich was a perfect medium rare. Charlie was there, himself, carving the beef with his hard hat on. Kitschy? Sure. But, in my mind, no less "Roadfoody" than Schwabl's, with (what I felt to be) a far superior product.

I couldn't GET a decent picture at Schwabl's because (a) it was too dark; and (b) the meat was well...brown. Not good, considering I ordered medium rare.

BB insists that we ate there on a down night and I have to give it another try. Someone else had suggested that too many people had ordered medium rare, so they had no choice but deliver a sandwich that was not medium rare. Side note: If that is the case, don't offer the sandwich cooked to temperature. I would bet that more people like their beef closer to pink than to brown on the done-ness scale. If you cannot accommodate that, don't offer it.

berkovw

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Wed, 07/17/13 11:37 PM (permalink)
                                                wanderingjew

berkovw

berkovw

Just wondering why you are so gung ho on Charlie The Butcher...
                                                I know others have different opinions on the Sandwich itself, but on an aside, the place completely lacked atmosphere

I'm gung-ho because I'm on a road trip and I'm trying to squeeze in as much sightseeing as I can.  As I said above, I need to get to Seneca Falls which is a couple of hour drive from the Buffalo area.  Within my itinerary, I'm not sure I'm going to have the extra 40 min-hour round trip it'll take to get to Schwabl's whereas Charlie the Butcher's is right on 90 on my way out of town.

I'm going to try to got to Schwabl's.  I'd actually rather go there since I saw it on Rick Sebak's show, but I don't know if time will allow it.  I'll know tomorrow.

starfire62

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Thu, 07/18/13 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                                  schwabels is about 5 mins from rt 400 which takes you to interstate 90,but the ramp to get on is closed due to construction.if you get to schwabels you need to go to william st and get on rt 90 there,about 10 -15 minutes from schwabels.

Buffalo Tarheel

Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Thu, 07/18/13 6:38 AM (permalink)
                                                    I may be a bit late to this thread but would like to add another option.  Anderson's also offers a good roast beck on weck, and the best ones are found at the original location on Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda.  As a bonus, they have outstanding ice cream.  As a second bonus, this location is across the street from the flagship Ted's location.

For what is is worth, I have had good food at Schwabl's on multiple occasions.  I have been to Eckl's and Charlie the Butcher far less often and so can't offer enough statistiscally valid data (not that I have crunched any  numbers on the Schwabl's experiences).

Davwud

• Location: Toronto, On/Huntsville, AL
                                                      Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Thu, 07/18/13 7:36 AM (permalink)
                                                      One bit of advice for you Berk.

Where ever you go the best thing to do is get as much jus as the bread will hold and plop as much horseradish on there as you can stand.

DT

starfire62

• Location: west seneca, NY
                                                        Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Mon, 07/22/13 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                                        how did you make out on your beef on weck?

Kenny Joe

• Total Posts: 193
                                                          • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
                                                          Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Mon, 07/22/13 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                                          I go through Buffalo at least twice a year and always time my trips to pass through at lunch and dinner. Until I tried Charlie the Butcher for the first time several years ago, I always stopped at Schwabl's. I haven't been back there since I first stopped at Charlie's. My sandwiches at Cahrlie's have always been great. I cannot dispute that Wanderingjew's sandwich does not look at all appetizing, but I will dispute that Schwabl's has more of a Roadfood feel. A joint that has a lunch counter will always have more of a Roadfood feel than some dark, uptight establishment, even if such establishment traces its origins from the early nineteenth century.

If I have time for two beef on wecks, the second one is usually from Andersons. While the sandwiches are not great, the frozen custard is! 

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Best place in West NY for Beef on Weck? Mon, 07/22/13 10:58 PM (permalink)
                                                            Kenny Joe

I but I will dispute that Schwabl's has more of a Roadfood feel. A joint that has a lunch counter will always have more of a Roadfood feel than some dark, uptight establishment, even if such establishment traces its origins from the early nineteenth century.

Once upon a time pre website , Jane and Michael Stern used to write  books. The books were about roadfood and reflected a theme of unique regional cuisine. Part of the uniqueness was the atmosphere of different types of restaurants around the country...
                                                            Some of these restaurants included
                                                            The Fort
                                                            Joe's Stone Crab
                                                            Ray's Boathouse

and other similar places... The Sterns coined the term "Roadfood" so if they say these places are Roadfood then it is...

The reason why I bring this up (alot)  is because I understand that there are probably not more than a dozen folks on here who are aware that the Sterns published these books for nearly 25 years before they launched the website. (yes this is a fact) especially when folks will inquire "what are Sterns Books"
                                                            Roadfood was certainly more than greasy spoons and lunch counters which seems to be the emphasis post website....

I'm not certain what kind of restaurants you visit, but Schwabl's  (and Eckle's)are certainly not "dark uptight" establishments... so unless I'm visiting a different Schwabl's, I found both places to be quite relaxed and casual ....And represents the unique regional atmosphere that Buffalo is all about...more so than any "lunch counter" can...

<message edited by wanderingjew on Mon, 07/22/13 11:10 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com