Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

More use out of useless gadgets

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/16/13 3:05 PM (permalink)
A lot of kitchen gadgets have very limited use, and can be more trouble than they're worth for even that task. I started this thread to talk about those gadgets, for maybe better uses.

In another thread, someone suggested using an electric knife for cutting through frozen meatballs. Most people who have electric knives barely use them at all. I must admit that while, for food, they are of limited use (outside of cutting large roasts, I prefer a well-made sharp knife), they work GREAT for cutting through and shaping foam rubber to, for example, replacing fillings in old cushions.

But getting to food, I use a mandoline on a virtually weekly basis. It's easier to clean than a food processor, and I eat a LOT of salad (I use it mainly for celery, tomatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, and cucumbers). The problem with it is that the "guard" is, for most purposes, a joke, and the major danger of slicing your fingers with it if you're not using the guard. However, for about $20 extra, you can buy a cut-proof or cut resistant glove; in 3 years of using it, I've hit the blade with my fingers several times, but never got a scratch (note that I am NOT giving sources to avoid endorsing anything; you can easily look it up or ask at your local kitchen supply store).

So, what generally underused kitchen gadgets to you use?

Bart

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
    Re:More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/16/13 3:17 PM (permalink)
    Well, the most underused gadget in my mother's kitchen was the stove. I use mine a lot.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
      Re:More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/16/13 5:18 PM (permalink)
      I once sliced a nice pepperoni sized circle off of my finger using a mandoline so I will never touch one again.

I use a pizza cutter for fresh pasta, cutting bar cookies, and a million other things.

I use kitchen scissors to snip up tomatoes or green chiles still in the can and for lots of things that are dangerous to cut with a knife.

I use a shot glass for making cookies and biscuits and as a measuring cup

I have my mom's old nut grinder, which is fast and fun to use but I rarely see them used by anyone else.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/16/13 7:01 PM (permalink)
        My blender has been used maybe 5 times

My slapchop has never been used

My electric coffee grinder has been used more for spices than coffee

I try to follow Alton Brown's advice - every gadget needs at least two uses or it doesnt get bought or put in the drawer

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1491
          Re:More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/16/13 9:34 PM (permalink)
          I had to Google what a slamchop was.  I use it mostly with nuts..it's why I bought it.  For Mirepoix or stuff like that, I have a small Cuisinart that sees a lot more use than it's big (heavy!!!) brother, especially now that there are only 2 of us. But the super=dooper(should I turn the "d" around?)  Mushroom slicer (and maybe hard boiled eggs?) has not seen the light of day since its first use.

However, the 25 cent bamboo tongs have earned their price a thousand times over, keeping my fingertips from getting 2nd degrees when puling "artisan" bread out the toaster without electrocuting myself

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
            Re:More use out of useless gadgets Wed, 07/17/13 12:54 AM (permalink)
            I am disgusted with all my hard ice cream serving implements. I know I used to have better ones, one was like a shovel shape and the other was a small scoop made of weird material that would glide right through the hardest Ice Cream.

bartl

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Wed, 07/17/13 10:14 PM (permalink)
              EliseT
              I once sliced a nice pepperoni sized circle off of my finger using a mandoline so I will never touch one again.

I was lucky; I found out about the cut resistant/proof gloves BEFORE I bought my first mandoline. I will not cut ANYTHING on it without the glove on, even on those rare occasions (usually when cutting an onion) that I use the guard. I can definitely see the "once sliced, twice shy" attitude, though.

Bart

bartl

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Wed, 07/17/13 10:16 PM (permalink)
                CajunKing
                My blender has been used maybe 5 times
                My slapchop has never been used
                My electric coffee grinder has been used more for spices than coffee
                I try to follow Alton Brown's advice - every gadget needs at least two uses or it doesnt get bought or put in the drawer

One thing I learned from Alton Brown (although it was obvious in hindsight): If the result is more liquid than solid, use a blender. If it is more solid than liquid, use a food processor. I have a combo unit (well, it was a blender, but the food processor attachment was only $15 more). I mainly use the blender to make hummos, which I make frequently. I must admit that, out of my mixing tools, my stick blender sees by far the most action.

Bart

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                  Re:More use out of useless gadgets Wed, 07/17/13 10:23 PM (permalink)
                  I cut strawberries and mushrooms with my egg slicer.

I can slice meatballs with my tomato slicer.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:More use out of useless gadgets Thu, 07/18/13 3:50 PM (permalink)
                    I love my stick blender

Made banana bread several times over the past few weeks (before the heat got tooooo hot) always used the stick blender and yummy it was

bartl

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Fri, 07/19/13 10:04 AM (permalink)
                      Well, from my point of view, a stick blender is NOT a little-used gadget; it turns other gadgets into little-used ones. :)

I've mentioned in other threads that there are a lot of as-seen-on-TV type gadgets which are good ideas, but so poorly made as to be useless. For example that combination whisk/spatula/tongs might have been nice if it could hold more than a single hot dog without bending; forget about making an omelet using it.

I have a rice cooker; I make about 2 pounds of rice, separate them into individual packets (using ziplock sandwich bags), and freeze them to make my own "instant rice". I also buy boneless chicken breasts on sale, steam them, cut them into chunks, and freeze them into single portion packets; good for instant dinners, and the rice cooker ensures that I don't have to take them out the minute they are ready. Don't use it all the time, but use it at least every couple of months.

Bart

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                        Re:More use out of useless gadgets Fri, 07/19/13 11:08 AM (permalink)
                        I have a potato ricer that I have never used but still fumble with it every time I'm looking for my vast collections of measuring spoons.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                          Re:More use out of useless gadgets Fri, 07/19/13 4:02 PM (permalink)
                          A potato ricer is great for draining/squeezing out moisture and works well as a chilled butter cutter.

bartl

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Sun, 07/21/13 2:25 PM (permalink)
                            I happen to love baba ganoush (roasted eggplant, preferably over a charcoal grill), scooped out and mashed with sesame paste, lemon juice, garlic and whatever seasonings you like, sometimes a little olive oil added for consistency), and found that  a potato ricer was great for that. I've also used it for hummos (the same thing with cooked chick peas instead of eggplant), but my family prefers it through the blender (see above) over the coarser, mashed texture, and the blender is easier.

Bart

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                              Re:More use out of useless gadgets Sun, 07/21/13 2:36 PM (permalink)
                              brisketboy

I have a potato ricer that I have never used but still fumble with it every time I'm looking for my vast collections of measuring spoons.

I hate "riced" potatoes, it's like eating school paste!

mar52

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Sun, 07/21/13 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                A can opener will open some of those plastic packages that are almost impossible to open by hand.  The type with a card inside and crimped all the way around.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  Re:More use out of useless gadgets Sun, 07/21/13 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                  Excellent, Mar! Thanks for that tip!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6204
                                    Re:More use out of useless gadgets Sun, 07/21/13 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                    brisketboy

A ricer is essential for making gnocchi!!!!

Michael Hoffman

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Sun, 07/21/13 10:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Oh, Oh! You're going to make your gnocchi?

Michael Hoffman

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Sun, 07/21/13 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                        Baked, with that Bolognese sauce?

lpatinga

• Total Posts: 8
                                          Re:More use out of useless gadgets Mon, 07/22/13 3:18 AM (permalink)
                                          The egg cutter also slices kiwi - works great for the fruit pizza

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                            Re:More use out of useless gadgets Mon, 07/22/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                            Let's see...we use the potato ricer for making mashed potatoes, (works like a charm), the egg slicer does double duty as a mushroom slicer, too. But, we do have more than a few tools that don't get used very often, if at all. The blender actually does get used more than the food processor. Comes of having one of those old Better Homes and Gardens Blender Cookbooks.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                                              Re:More use out of useless gadgets Mon, 07/22/13 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                              18" chopsticks - great for retrieving food from hot pans and fryers, wrap a scouring pad around the tip, a little dish detergent, and it's good for jugging the sides and corners when cleaning narrow-mouthed jars and pitchers.  Also, once in a while, the metal cap of a chandelier bulb breaks off into the socket of my ceiling fan, and the base of the chopstick fits exactly into the cap and I can unscrew it out of the fan.

potato masher - good for mashing hard-boiled eggs for egg salad, and potato salad.  

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                Re:More use out of useless gadgets Mon, 07/22/13 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                                I use my pizza wheel for cutting cheese straws or any "shaped" pie crust.

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                  Re:More use out of useless gadgets Mon, 07/22/13 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                                  I make my quiche filling in my Vitamix.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                                                    Re:More use out of useless gadgets Mon, 07/22/13 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    A (quality) pastry blender is good for breaking-down cooked ground beef.

bartl

• Location: New Milford, NJ
                                                      Re:More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/23/13 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                                      mar52
                                                      I make my quiche filling in my Vitamix.

A Vitamix is a pretty expensive thing to have without knowing how your are going to use it in advance; did you get it as a gift?

Bart

mar52

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/23/13 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                                        I had the old all stainless model with the spigot for years.  When they came out with the new one they gave me a huge dollar amount on my trade-in....

Then they let me keep the trade-in which I sold.

Wish I didn't jump on the first one out.  It has this Gawd-awful metallic, neon blue sticker on the front of it.

I've also gone through their experimenting with new lids.  They kept sending me the latest version lid as mine failed often.

Great company.  I think I've owned it for about 25 years. 

Oh, I used to drink lots of fruit/vegetable drinks.  Not so much anymore but I use it for a lot of things like beating large amounts of eggs at once.

mar52

Re:More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/23/13 9:48 PM (permalink)
                                                          Is it wrong that I used my spider to clean the cat litter box?

I "had" two spiders.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                            • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                            Re:More use out of useless gadgets Wed, 07/24/13 1:13 AM (permalink)
                                                            ces1948

I am disgusted with all my hard ice cream serving implements. I know I used to have better ones, one was like a shovel shape and the other was a small scoop made of weird material that would glide right through the hardest Ice Cream.

Found the secret to scooping hard Ice Cream------25 seconds in the microwave!!
                                                            Softens it up just enough to make scooping doable without getting too soft. Experiment a little plus or minus depending on the power rating of your microwave.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com