The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

must be getting old

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48
starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
must be getting old Wed, 07/17/13 11:42 PM (permalink)
this last heat snap in buffalo has just about killed me ,very high humidity and into the 90s.dont even want to go out of house to cut grass and puter around the yard.all i can say is thank god for central air.i salute all the people who live out west and in the south.my hats off to you all.
<message edited by starfire62 on Thu, 07/18/13 12:02 AM>

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
    Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 7:42 AM (permalink)
    The older I get the less I like summer and the more I like winter.  None the less, I have a 30 x 50 ft garden plat this year and the scarlet runner beans are coming along nice.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1598
      Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 7:44 AM (permalink)
      Down here in East-Central FL, it's been cooler & less humid than up in the North East & below average for this time of year. We're still waiting for the real Summer weather to start.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
        Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 11:03 AM (permalink)
        I'm trying to figure out how temperatures in the 90s became news. It's mid-July folks. Summer. What do you expect, below zero?

WarToad

Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 11:06 AM (permalink)
          Agreed, Michael.  But I think after the hellacious record setting heatwave parts of the southwest just went through everyone want to get on board with griping.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 11:30 AM (permalink)
            Michael Hoffman

I'm trying to figure out how temperatures in the 90s became news. It's mid-July folks. Summer. What do you expect, below zero?

I don't remember  brutal Summer's like this when I was a kid growing up on Long Island- we maybe had one heat wave every 2 or 3 years now it seems we have 2 or three each month from June to August.  I never, ever had to turn on the AC until school let out at the end of June. Now my AC goes on in early May, there has even been a day or two when I had to turn it on in April!  On the other hand, winters are no where near as brutal as they used to be.  Lately I've seen temps in the well into the 60's in January.... When I was a kid a 40 degree day in January was considered balmy and even those were few and far between.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
              Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 11:45 AM (permalink)
              Michael Hoffman

If you live in central NY like I do, you'd think it was the end times when it gets this hot, by the way people complain. Then again, they pretty much complain about everything.

Michael Hoffman

Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 11:56 AM (permalink)
                wanderingjew

Michael Hoffman

I don't remember  brutal Summer's like this when I was a kid growing up on Long Island- we maybe had one heat wave every 2 or 3 years now it seems we have 2 or three each month from June to August.  I never, ever had to turn on the AC until school let out at the end of June. Now my AC goes on in early May, there has even been a day or two when I had to turn it on in April!  On the other hand, winters are no where near as brutal as they used to be.  Lately I've seen temps in the well into the 60's in January.... When I was a kid a 40 degree day in January was considered balmy and even those were few and far between.

I remember summers being really hot. When I was a kid I summered at the beach, and I was usually in the water during the day, either swimming, digging clams or running lobster traps in my catboat. It was hot. And at night, when stuck inside, it was brutal. I never knew anyone who had air conditioning in their home or beach cottage. Winters? Let me tell you about having to walk nine miles to school through snow that was four feet deep, uphill all the way, both to and from school.

Michael Hoffman

Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 11:58 AM (permalink)
                  SeamusD

Michael Hoffman

If you live in central NY like I do, you'd think it was the end times when it gets this hot, by the way people complain. Then again, they pretty much complain about everything.

Heck, they complain about the heat in the summer here, and about the cold when it's winter. A guy sitting at the counter this morning at the Waffle House was bitching about the air conditioning being to cold -- this after complaining about how hot is was outside.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 12:33 PM (permalink)
                    Michael Hoffman

wanderingjew

Michael Hoffman

Winters? Let me tell you about having to walk nine miles to school through snow that was four feet deep, uphill all the way, both to and from school.

And I think I found a photo of the school that you went to- I understand it was newly built- in fact if you look hard enough, you can find a young Michael in the background.

Michael Hoffman

Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 12:49 PM (permalink)
                      Yep, that's my school, but you're wrong about which one is me. I'm the one on the left in the first row with my velvet suit and Little Lord Fauntleroy collar.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1506
                        Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 12:58 PM (permalink)
                        At least you're not in a hand-me-down pinafore.  On the subject of A/c......NOBODY I knew on Cape Cod growing up had A/c in their houses or their cars. My first house in MA never had A/c, but a lot of trees.  The house in NH didn't really need it.  Then we moved to the UK where the idea would have been preposterous.  It wasn't until we moved back to the states around 20 yrs ago that we had a house with A/C

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 1:11 PM (permalink)
                          Michael, I agree about the summers of my youth. They were hot, but I literally grew up across from Lake Michigan-we didn't notice as we swam when we became hot. Don't get me started on winters......

Sundancer7

Re:must be getting old Thu, 07/18/13 7:08 PM (permalink)
                            You know?  I really do not mind the hot or cold or something in between. It is summer and it is suppose to be hot and humid and when it is cold, it is suppose to be cold.  That being said, I do not mind saying that it affects me more than what it use to.  Not exactly like Michael who treaded snow four foot deep but I had a paper route that was six miles and I did that seven days a week for five years on a bicycle.  I made three dollars a week and I did that when I was 9 years old.  We had no HVAC in our house at that time however I did not Know any better.

Throughout my career  and growth in life, I learned to enjoy the comfort parts of life such as temperature controlled cars and home.  Now that I am in the twilight of my life, I was setting on the deck overlooking the cool Tennessee River (sure do enjoy that big old cooler out there) where Knoxville temps was 92F and my deck temp was 85 with a breeze and realized how fortunate I was to be here.

God bless the summer.     

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                              Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 9:37 AM (permalink)
                              As a native Midwesterner I can't imagine life without the change of seasons.  The only 2 parts of the year I don't really care for are early spring because everything's damp, sloppy, wet, and brown, and late fall because everything's damp, sloppy, wet, and brown.  In fact, I'd be perfectly happy to get 2 feet of snow the day after Thanksgiving and skip the transition into winter.

WarToad

Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                ScreamingChicken

As a native Midwesterner I can't imagine life without the change of seasons.  The only 2 parts of the year I don't really care for are early spring because everything's damp, sloppy, wet, and brown, and late fall because everything's damp, sloppy, wet, and brown.  In fact, I'd be perfectly happy to get 2 feet of snow the day after Thanksgiving and skip the transition into winter.

I lived on the ocean of Washington State for a few years where the temp stayed very consistantly between 45 to 75.  Very little noticable change in seasons.  While this was a gardening wonderland.  I really missed my winters and the change of seasons.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3306
                                  Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                  There's summer weather, and then there is constant record-breaking (or at least tying) heat and humidity for over a week without a break. Of course I expect it to be hot and humid in Michigan. What I do not expect, and certainly do not remember from my childhood, is day in-day out heat indexes over 100 degrees, "cooling down" to 85-90 at night.

I hate being cold more than pretty much anything on earth, but the heat and humidity we've had since I got home from vacation are just about killing me. It hasn't been below 90 in my house for two weeks.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                    felix4067

There's summer weather, and then there is constant record-breaking (or at least tying) heat and humidity for over a week without a break. Of course I expect it to be hot and humid in Michigan. What I do not expect, and certainly do not remember from my childhood, is day in-day out heat indexes over 100 degrees, "cooling down" to 85-90 at night.

I hate being cold more than pretty much anything on earth, but the heat and humidity we've had since I got home from vacation are just about killing me. It hasn't been below 90 in my house for two weeks.

I totally agree with you. I used to work at a county park on Long Island during my summers off from college back way, way back in the mid 80's. I remember we had to record the temps every morning around 8 or 9am. Temp's were always  in the low- mid 60s, that time in the morning. These were typical summers. That seemed to change around 1988. My first summer back in NY after living in Albuquerque NM for 6 months. Not only did the summers change but the winters did too. I remember Christmas eve 1988 it was 60 degrees at night. It actually "scared" me - I never experienced such a thing before, it was unheard of. ...

BTW you really need to get AC- I actually go home for lunch, turn my living room and bedroom AC on so its nice and cool when I get home from work.  I turn my living room ac off when I go to sleep and then turn my bedroom ac on when I wake up and start the same process the next day.

starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
                                      Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 12:40 PM (permalink)
                                      i also like the cold more than the heat.its easier to get warm by just putting on a extra shirt or a blanket from the closet .to get cool i'll need to  take off some more clothes.even i dont want to see that.

buffetbuster

Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                        Growing up in an area with four distinct seasons, that is what I prefer.  But, if one season had to go, it would be definitely be Summer.  The humidity just drains me of my energy and makes it very difficult to sleep at night. 

While traveling, I am keeping an eye out for somewhere to possibly retire someday.  Weather-wise, a place with a mild Winter and a mild Summer would be ideal.

Michael Hoffman

Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                          buffetbuster

Weather-wise, a place with a mild Winter and a mild Summer would be ideal.

You want to retired to Gahanna?

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1506
                                            Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                            Buffet........if you can afford it.........and like the lifestyle, Hawaii is almost a perfect 72 every day..depending on where you live on the islands.

I like where I am...the summers are getting hotter/more humid, but our winters seem to be milder than folks who live as little as 30 miles away. They get snow/ice, we get rain.  Must be our closeness to the Delaware river.  We also don't get a lot of the mega T-storms that hit out Lancaster/York way. And the BIG H usually hits NJ, not us

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                              Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                              Thank God we have central air in the house.  Summer is nice if you live at the beach but when we get the 3 Hs here in the Midwest I just hate it.  For me the best place to retire would be Alaska, with a month in the winter in Palm Springs!

buffetbuster

Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                                Michael Hoffman

buffetbuster

Weather-wise, a place with a mild Winter and a mild Summer would be ideal.

You want to retired to Gahanna?

Well, I would be closer to Graeter's, Crabill's and G & R Tavern! 

Michael Hoffman

Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 1:36 PM (permalink)
                                                  There is that. Why'd you leave out Henry's?

buffetbuster

Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 1:43 PM (permalink)
                                                    When I forget pie, it is obvious the heat is getting to me.....

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      We have lived in a variety of climate zones over the years, From The Oswego, NY Snow belt, To Lewiston, ID that is labeled part of Idaho's Banana Belt, Then 30 years in the High Desert of SoCal with at least one snow day each year I taught there,  and finally ( I Hope) here in the Ohio River Valley. I don't include 5 yrs in the Boston area, and 6 yrs in N J as I would never return to either unless sentenced by a jury of my peers !! 
                                                      SoCal had the most even climate of all my home locations. It got hot in the summer and we saw the teens a few days in the winter, but overall Sunny and 80's was typical a majority of the time. Any extremes were short lived, except late July & early Aug would stay hot, but drop into the 60's at night.

The difference for me is the ability to grow things here in the Mid West compared to the forced irrigation in the desert.  This year is a bountiful garden and fruit year...the first in several years.  That makes running the AC worth the cost for us.
                                                      <message edited by mayor al on Fri, 07/19/13 1:54 PM>

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3306
                                                        • Location: Near Grand Rapids, MI
                                                        Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                                        wanderingjew

BTW you really need to get AC- I actually go home for lunch, turn my living room and bedroom AC on so its nice and cool when I get home from work.  I turn my living room ac off when I go to sleep and then turn my bedroom ac on when I wake up and start the same process the next day.

If it was an option, I'd have done it years ago. But even though I have offered to pay the entire electric bill for the summer, I am not in charge of that and was told in no uncertain terms that fans are fine, we've used fans in this house since it was built 50 years ago, and fans will always be enough. 

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                                          • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                          Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          I take it the Edsel's still running well, too?

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            felix4067

wanderingjew

If it was an option, I'd have done it years ago. But even though I have offered to pay the entire electric bill for the summer, I am not in charge of that and was told in no uncertain terms that fans are fine, we've used fans in this house since it was built 50 years ago, and fans will always be enough. 

Wow...............

I could never live in a place that didn't have A/C.... Although I did when I lived in Seattle- but then again ....that was Seattle....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com