The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

must be getting old

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48
felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 4:57 PM (permalink)
ScreamingChicken...yup! It's parked out back next to the outhouse! 

wanderingjew...Up until a few years ago, there really were only 3-5 days a summer when we needed it, so it wasn't really that big a deal. But now, yeah. I spend a lot of time in the basement when I'm home. My wi-fi works there.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 6:19 PM (permalink)
    Growing up on a farm here in the Ohio River Valley could be brutal.  The old farm house we lived in only had fuel oil heat to the downstairs rooms, the upstairs had no heat, no ac. 

In winter a glass of water taken to bed with you would have ice in it in the morning (thank god for electric blankets), in the summer we had an exhaust fan in the kitchen pushing air out which helped draw the "cooler" air form outside in, but the nights were long and hot.

My grandparents house didnt have ac either, just another big exhaust fan in the upstairs sleeping area.  Grandma did get a window unit for the utility room, so she could keep the kitchen and utility room cooler.

The winters never seemed "cold"  Of course I was used to working in the barn or garage splitting wood or tending to the animals.  I remember in HS I rarely wore a heavy coat, usually short sleeve shirt.

Summer was always hot and humid and in this damn river valley the mold mildew and allergens killed your nose.

Then I grew up, my college didnt have AC in the dorm I was in, which wasnt too bad, but fans were needed, and the winter time the heat was off and the windows were open.

Even the summers in LA didnt seem that bad, yes they were hot and humid, but the buildings were built to deal with the heat.

When I moved back to IN, I soon realized I would need AC, for the first two years I used a window unit in the bedroom only, and you know it is hot in the house when then closed bedroom door has condensation on it on the outside.

I used to keep the whole house ac set at 65 degrees, and the heat at 68 degrees, but I have reached a point that 75 degrees year round is fine.  until last night i had to set the ac down to 72 to finally get the house to cool off enough.

We do seem to have more milder winters and more hot and humid summers, but weather is cyclic, before long we will be back bitching how cold it is in winter and how the cold lasts until July.

Thinking back, I do not miss the house with no ac.

Sorry Felix (Sending cool thoughts your way)

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:must be getting old Fri, 07/19/13 6:21 PM (permalink)
      felix4067

ScreamingChicken...yup! It's parked out back next to the outhouse! 

wanderingjew...Up until a few years ago, there really were only 3-5 days a summer when we needed it, so it wasn't really that big a deal. But now, yeah. I spend a lot of time in the basement when I'm home. My wi-fi works there.

My mom's house in Dillsboro HAS a two seater in the garage.  It's not used anymore but it is still there.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
        Re:must be getting old Sat, 07/20/13 11:08 AM (permalink)
        starfire62

to get cool i'll need to  take off some more clothes.even i dont want to see that.
        So my image of you is compromised.

JK, of course...  

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
          Re:must be getting old Mon, 07/22/13 8:38 PM (permalink)
          It hasn't been so much the temperature but in my 43 years in Minnesota that humidity and dewpoint have gotten higher which makes for a more uncomfortable day. I got so tired of it I went up north to Voyageurs National Park over an extended weekend. It's a little more comfortable up nort.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
            Re:must be getting old Tue, 07/23/13 9:24 AM (permalink)
            I was completely blindsided by the heat and humidity when I moved here to Minneapolis in 1999, after living in Alexandria, VA outside D.C. for 18 years.  I was accustomed to heat and humidity there, of course, but the 200-year-old townhouse we lived in had AC.  When we bought our 1920s house in Minneapolis, we noted it had ceiling fans but no AC (it's radiator heat, so no duct work).  The first full summer I was here it was 110 degrees+ for more than a week!  We have a window AC unit for the bedroom, but when we had the utility company come out to evaluate whether installing split AC units would work, the guy said that because of the configuration of the rooms, it wouldn't.  We aren't up for tearing out the walls and putting in central AC, so suffer through the summers we must.  (Fortunately, we were out of the country in July 2012 when the temperatures were in the upper 90s-low 100s for weeks.) I bought a very good tower fan with an ionizer a few weeks ago and I have to say that helps a lot.  And of course we have a dehumidifier chugging away in the finished basement.

As for winter -- well, I went to college in Chicago and lived in Rochester, NY for a couple of years, so I've seen snow before.  I don't find it too bad except that the snow removal in Minneapolis isn't QUITE as efficient as you'd think -- and I live on a snow emergency route.  But the cold is not overwhelming.  In the years I've been here, I only recall a couple of winters when it was very much below zero for more than a day or two.  My only problem is that my hands got frostbitten when I was a junior in high school (in Indianapolis) and they still ache if they get cold, so I have to wear ski gloves once the temperature drops.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
              Re:must be getting old Tue, 07/23/13 10:05 AM (permalink)
              I've never had air conditioning in Minnesota but it is changing because of the higher dewpoints which can make any temperature uncomfortable above 70F. Back in the 70s and 80s the dewpoint never reached 70F. Now it seems to be routine. I built our house in 1984 and the highest the temperature ever got inside was 88F when it was 106F outside. I thought I was deliberately designing it that way to not need AC. Now I am rethinking but have no way to put in a ducted system with a timber frame home.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
                Re:must be getting old Tue, 07/23/13 9:34 PM (permalink)
                My 20 year old Central A/C went out last week but was QUICKLY replaced. Only cost $9,000.00 but worth every penny. The tech said my electric bill will probably drop about $60-70 bucks a month due to new technology. Can't imagine how the early AZ settlers survived out here. Beats Shovelin' Snow! If I want to see snow, I just watch the weather report from Flagstaff in the winter!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  Re:must be getting old Wed, 07/24/13 8:42 AM (permalink)
                  Had to have AC on for many days last month( today is perfect-75 and no humidity) My prior bill was 93.00-this month was 147.00-really?

Nast

• Total Posts: 1
                    Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 11:51 AM (permalink)
                    I've been in Phoenix since April 88. Just installed AC May 2010. Had been living with the swamps. Hate the house closed up for the AC but it is nice to be cool. Had a window unit in the bedroom to sleep. Down side I now hate to go out into the heat. Feeling it more due to the cool inside!  But YES still use the swamps when the dew points down, saves tons on electric...

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 12:16 PM (permalink)
                      NAST, Welcome to the group !  You mention 'Swamps' I figure you mean a Swamp Cooler.  I grew up with them on the Mojave in SoCal. It was my job to make sure the 'auto-matic' water level device on the cooler was working properly and that the water was dripping down those big wicker (?) pads evenly on all three sides.  We had two of them hung in windows that really did the job on cooling the house.  Not many folks in today's generation , or those who live in the humid East will be aware of how great those simple Swamp Coolers were in the Hot Dry Southwest.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17803
                        Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 12:36 PM (permalink)
                        I didn't know they were called Swamp Coolers. I remember them as a box in a window with water dripping down over what I thought was straw and a fan blowing the water-cooled air into the house. I had them in the house I lived in in Austin.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                          Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 12:59 PM (permalink)
                          I was reading an RV discussion on Swamp Coolers and the consensus, I think, was they work in low humidity but not in high. Not sure what's true though.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6210
                            Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 1:45 PM (permalink)
                            There was a swamp cooler at the place I used to stay in Desert Hot Springs.  It worked great except when the temp. got close to 100.  Then we turned on the AC.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
                              Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 3:11 PM (permalink)
                              It's been ages since we used a swamp cooler, but I remember them only adding to the humidity (we generally sit around 70% or better) and us being better off with just a fan moving the already-saturated air around. That's anecdotal, though, and I could be wrong.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                Out in "Dry" country, adding water vapor that evaporated almost immediately was a real boost to the cooling effect ! Some you old guys will recall the torpedo shaped device that attached to the Passengers window on some cars back in the 50's.. they called it an air conditioner, but in reality it was a small swamp cooler.  Filling a reservior in it with water (another of my kid-chores when we traveled) it would 'catch air' as you drove, pushing it thru a filter that had saturated with water dripping from the tank, the force of the air would act just like the room swamp cooler we had at home.  Dad had two large canvas/burlap bags that we would fill whenever needed to refill the car "A/C !  This was in the SoCal desert where the humidity ran under 15% almost 24 hours a day, most of the year.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17803
                                  Re:must be getting old Sun, 07/28/13 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                  I remember those car window mounted things, and I also remember the burlap bags filled with water and hung in front of the radiators on cars in the southwest.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                    Re:must be getting old Mon, 08/19/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                    I'm 65 and have lived in Western PA (coal, no AC), the Shenandoah Valley (oil, no AC), NoVa (central air and gas heat), and Dallas (central air and gas heat).  Honestly, the only place where I've truly "needed" AC is Dallas.

"Weather" is not "Climate".  The former changes all the time and can be "freakish".  (The hottest I've ever been was in Western PA; the coldest in Virginia! ).  The latter really has not changed during my lifetime. 

What has changed is my willingness and ability to "control my personal environment".  Presently, we "celebrate" Winter by keeping it at 68 - dresing in sweaters and having a sheet, blanket, and comforter on our bed.  In Summer, 80 is just fine for shorts, no shirt, bare feet, and only a sheet (or nothing) on the bed.  Saves $$$ and I still enjoy the "seasons".

Reversable ceiling fans "rule"; we have 8 of them and use them all.  "Whole house attic fans" + ceiling fans were wonderful in PA and VA.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com