The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***.

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 3 of 6, messages 61 to 90 of 152
BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4077
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/15/13 2:47 AM (permalink)
q,
You may need to put the word out on Facebook for some of the Contingent members who don't pay as close attention to this thread as they should.  I'd do it myself, but I'm not a FB kinda guy.

Buddy

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/15/13 6:22 AM (permalink)
    Well, you all know my circumstances-I would love to join this, but I need to ride along with somebody..please let me know if any one is willing to have me tag along!

X1

• Total Posts: 937
      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/15/13 9:41 AM (permalink)
      I have a birthday party on Saturday.
      Sunday, if you eat a sit-down dinner somewhere, someone please let me know where and text or call me and I will try to join you.

Pie Diva

• Total Posts: 56
        Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/15/13 8:44 PM (permalink)
        Being that the head honcho is out of town until the 27th, no member of the Pfefferclan will be attending. I hope sometime soon the date for a get-together and Papa Pfeff being home will coincide. 

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/15/13 8:50 PM (permalink)
          I'm in for Sunday, and if anyone's doing something on Saturday, lemme know- I'd probably be up for that, assuming things don't change during the week.

ETA: I wouldn't mind a trip to The Elegant Farmer on Saturday- we're out of our favorite popcorn! 
          <message edited by abe_froeman on Sun, 09/15/13 9:04 PM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/15/13 8:59 PM (permalink)
            I am at a weekend wedding...will not be available. Bon appetite!

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3091
              Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/15/13 9:19 PM (permalink)
              I won't be available for Saturday, what with the Global Union and Bay View Bash. The weather looks great. Sunday I should be at some if not all of the choices, all of which look like winners. X1 and Gyp made a recent stop at Glorioso's where they got a Human Torch shown below. The Milwaukee Muffeletta is similar but not spicy like the Torch.

<message edited by MilwFoodlovers on Sun, 09/15/13 9:26 PM>

Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
                Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 09/16/13 3:06 PM (permalink)
                Hello. I work Saturday at 4PM and I'm off Sunday. So count me in for anything that doesn't happen after 4PM on Saturday.
                Thanks for the FB heads up Q. 

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 09/16/13 5:22 PM (permalink)
                  I'm hungry and that picture of the muffaletta is killing me!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 09/16/13 5:39 PM (permalink)
                    That muffaletta does look wonderful, I have never had one grilled before, but I would think that would be AWESOME!!

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 09/16/13 5:42 PM (permalink)
                      That is The Human Torch, not a Muffuletta, although it does include the Muffuletta olive salad on it.

But still very delicious!

Also - it's not grilled, so no idea where that came from.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                        Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 09/16/13 10:49 PM (permalink)
                        So far the list of attendees for Sunday looks like this:

Buddy Roadhouse (2)
                        Abe Froeman (2)
                        MilwFoodLovers (1)
                        Gyp (1)
                        Ann Peeples (1 - if ride ava)
                        quijote (2)
                        laz (2)

<message edited by quijote on Wed, 09/18/13 12:22 PM>

laz

• Total Posts: 3
                          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 09/18/13 10:45 AM (permalink)
                          Please count  me in for two on Sunday. Happy to have this opportunity to meet The Contingent and see something of Milwaukee. Thanks for the heads-up on Facebook.

Where do we meet you?

Leah
                          <message edited by laz on Wed, 09/18/13 10:48 AM>

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 09/18/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
                            Hi laz,
                            Glad to hear you can make it. We'll meet 10:30-11:00ish at Glorioso's Italian Market at 1011 E. Brady St., on Milwaukee's East Side. Where will you be coming from? I'll post basic directions in a day or two. The market isn't too terribly big, so you'll see people entering and milling around, but at around 10:45-10:55 or so I'll be at the seating area (just to the left as you enter the store), and that's where we'll congregate (I'll probably get to the market a little earlier than 10:45, but will probably browse around for a few minutes). If all goes well, we'll take a quick trip over to Peter Sciortino's (a block away) for some Italian cookies and other bakery items before heading off to the Doors Open sites. 
                            <message edited by quijote on Wed, 09/18/13 12:29 PM>

laz

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 09/18/13 12:35 PM (permalink)
                              quijote

12:00-1:00  visit and/or and/or

I just want  to point out that there's a pretty good tavern, the Swinging Door Exchange, in the Grain Exchange. I've only been there once, for fish fry, but we enjoyed it and other menu items looked good.

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
                                Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 09/18/13 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                Yeah, it's official, can't make this one.  I'll be on my way to Park Falls to spend a week up there with some buddies.  Have fun, people!  .0/  Please post pics!

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 09/19/13 6:08 AM (permalink)
                                  Here are some directions for getting to Glorioso's from the south:

1. Take Interstate 94W into Wisconsin and head toward Milwaukee (north)

2. When you hit the Marquette Interchange ("spaghetti junction") downtown, continue onto I-43 N (toward Green Bay) via the left-hand lanes on I-94.

3. Take exit 73A for WI 145 S toward McKinley Ave. (This is the McKinley Ave exit.)  Turn right onto WI 145 S/ W Fond du Lac Ave (following the signs to get to McKinley Ave.).

4. Continue onto W McKinley Ave. (You should be heading east!)

5. As you cross the bridge (over the Milwaukee River), McKinley becomes E Knapp Ave, and slightly veers to the left.

6. Turn left on N Water St.

7. Water St. follows the river (imagine that), and eventually takes you to Brady St. Continue onto Brady St.

8. Go east on Brady St.  Glorioso's will be to your right; it's on the corner of E Brady and N Astor.  If you've gone past Humboldt Ave., you've gone too far.

Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
                                    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 09/20/13 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                    So we're doing Sunday only with Quijote's itinerary that was on page 2 right?

I'm still in and also can provide a ride for Ann Peeples if that works out for her.

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 09/20/13 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                      Hi Gyp and All,

Yes, the main event is Sunday, starting with Glorioso's at 10:30-11:30.

I know that the Buddy Roadhouses will be in Mke on Saturday, but I'm not sure they're following the itinerary posted. You and others may want to contact them about what they're doing on Saturday. Around midday I plan to call them to get together, so be sure to be in touch with them and with me throughout the day.

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 09/20/13 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm not sure if we're coming up tomorrow (Saturday)- I came down with a cold yesterday and I'd like to increase my chances of getting better by Sunday and reduce my exposure to others.  

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 09/20/13 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                          Okay--if we see you, we see you; if not, take care and get rid of that cold. We hope to see you Sunday. Pupusas are waiting for you.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 09/21/13 3:00 AM (permalink)
                                            Hello fellow Contingencies,
                                            We're here in Milwaukee (technically Brookfield), and ready for a wild weekend in your fab town.

Just tell us where we're starting and what time to be there (I believe Jake's between 11:00 and noon.  Confirmation please) and we're in for the long haul.

Buddy

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 09/21/13 8:30 AM (permalink)
                                              Hi Buddy,

You may be the only ones going to Jake's this morning, though Gyp expressed an interest in doing stuff today. My other half and I will be joining up later in the day; we'll give you a call. See you then!

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3091
                                                Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 09/21/13 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                                I  guess when you read about an 11 am meet-up at 11, you probably can't be at Jakes at 11. I've got to shower and then we are heading to  the Bay View Bash for some Korean tacos. Only 2 bands really interest me at Global Union, a mystical Pakistani Sufi singing group at 2, followed by my personal don't miss group, the Masonic Wonders at 3:30. Miss Beth will not miss her Green Bay Packers battling the Cincinnati Bengals at noon on Sunday but may join us at 4 after the game. I will be on Brady Street at 10:30 and I'm in for the long haul.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 09/21/13 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  MilwFoodlovers

I  guess when you read about an 11 am meet-up at 11, you probably can't be at Jakes at 11. I've got to shower and then we are heading to  the Bay View Bash for some Korean tacos. Only 2 bands really interest me at Global Union, a mystical Pakistani Sufi singing group at 2, followed by my personal don't miss group, the Masonic Wonders at 3:30. Miss Beth will not miss her Green Bay Packers battling the Cincinnati Bengals at noon on Sunday but may join us at 4 after the game. I will be on Brady Street at 10:30 and I'm in for the long haul.

I don't know about "battling".... destroying would hopefully be a better word.

laz

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 09/21/13 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                                    Apologies. Sadly, I must cancel due to an injury. Hope to meet you all next time.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/22/13 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                                      laz,
                                                      Sorry to hear about your injury.  Hope you have a speedy recovery, and can join us for the Chicago version of the "Open Doors" tour in October.

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/22/13 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                                        laz,
                                                        Sorry to hear about your injury.  Hope you have a speedy recovery, and can join us for the Chicago version of the "Open Doors" tour in October.

Buddy

abe_froeman

• Location: Chicago, IL
                                                          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 09/22/13 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                                          Great trip today, everybody!  Thanks to Q for organizing it!

Hopefully, the Chicago trip will go as well (and have weather as perfect!)

So, without further adieu, here are the architectural sites my dad and I have picked out.  

This is for the weekend of October 19th and 20th.

As you can see, most of the sites are the south and west sides of the city.  If you click on each point on the map, there is a link to the description of the site and it's noted if they aren't open both days. 

We're still working out the restaurants we'd go to for the neighborhoods.  If anyone has any suggestions, please do share them.  If anyone has strong feelings about any of the sites, share that as well!   ETA: To be clear, we don't expect to go to all of those sites- we will be picking and choosing.

The sites that aren't open both days are closed on Sunday.  The Robie House (Frank Lloyd Wright house) is open both days, but just for their normal tours on Saturday and only for Open House Chicago on Sunday.  I believe that would mean there is a fee to go in on Saturday: $15 adult, $12 student and senior (65+), but none on Sunday.  If we want to go to the Robie House, I'll confirm the details about that.

<message edited by abe_froeman on Mon, 09/23/13 11:43 AM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Joined: 12/10/2004
                                                            Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 09/23/13 12:47 AM (permalink)
                                                            Echoing Thanks to quijote for organizing and MilwFoodlovers for inspiring today's tour!  I'd say it was a screaming success with a wide array of fascinating building tours coupled with some dang tasty grub.

Starting with sandwiches, salads, and finger foods from Glorioso's Italian Market and brilliant baked goods from Peter Sciortino's bakery, we then hit a few building sites before snacking on Chili late in the afternoon.  From there, a few more building tours and a final meal at El Salvador.  We chowed down on a variety of Pupusas, Tamales, and Baleadas.  Mrs. MFL joined the group at the restaurant, bringing with her a delicious Birthday Cake for Mr. MFL.

It was a great day that sets the bar high for the Chicago architectural tour in October.  We'll do our best to live up to the promise.  Hope you'll all join us for the day.

Buddy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 3 of 6, messages 61 to 90 of 152

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com