The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***.

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 152
irisarbor

• Total Posts: 602
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 10/16/13 8:49 PM (permalink)
I have been planning on Sunday and we have family plans for Sat brunch.

I am very interested to try the Kosher BBQ and the Valois Soul food
I'm a thumbs down on Cemitas ( I know, sue me)
But a big thumbs up for Tres Leches cake

BTW Furama is the kind of place where you sit down and they bring Dim Sum on a cart and you point at what you want.

For a more traditional Bakery I like Feida in the center of Chinatown.
Frank and I also LUV Ed's potsticker house.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 10/16/13 9:07 PM (permalink)
    Buddy, if some of you folks are going to get together for an informal gathering on Saturday afternoon I can join you for a couple of hours as I already have dinner plans on the north side and can head up that way earlier than I had planned on. Sunday's a no-go though.

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 10/16/13 9:38 PM (permalink)
      I think getting together casually on Saturday's a good idea- I know Buddy and I were going to try to hit some of the north side/downtown stops that we're not doing on Sunday.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 11:11 AM (permalink)
        I wish I could join, but Bob and I are in the process of moving-have fun!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 3:00 PM (permalink)
          Bumping the Guest List to the current page:

For sure:
          JRPfeff - 3
          MilwFoodlovers - 1
          Gyp - 1
          irisarbor - 2 (possibly more?)
          stricken_detective - 1
          abe_froeman & Mr. Maki - 2
          BuddyRoadhouse - 2

Total: 12

Doubtful, but maybe:
          X1
          ScreamingChicken
          carolina bob (Saturday only)
          pcdiva

Still need to hear from:
          ann peeples - Unavailable
          chicagostyledog
          quijote
          cjucoder

As far as abe and I are concerned, for reasons stated above, Sunday is the day of the "official" tour.  Because we hadn't gotten a lot of feedback on that subject, up until now, we were concerned about making that determination.  If the majority of the group in in for Sunday, then that's locked in.  However, it just so happens we've both also got Saturday off from work.  If anyone wants to do an informal get together, unrelated to the tour, on that day, we're (at least I'm) up for it.

Sorry, JRP, no Eastern Carolina-style 'Que.  How about Kosher-style?

The plan in my mind is to visit each of the colored zones, pick the stops we want to make based on time and energy, then make the same choices regarding food.  We start north and work our way south.  When we've had enough, we call it a day and head for the Grand Finale stop.

We'll do our best to have guide sheets for everyone, but in the event we run out of time, does everyone have GPS?

Buddy
          <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Fri, 10/18/13 7:42 PM>

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 602
            Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 3:27 PM (permalink)
            we will most likely be 2- a great GPS program  if you don't have one for a smart phone is Waze.
            I love it- it routes you around closed roads, traffic, etc.
            crowd-think to the best!
            If you want me to print out anything- just email it to me- tonight and I can print tomorrow
            E

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 3:30 PM (permalink)
              BTW, How early should we start this shindig?  I know I don't have a strong reputation as an early riser, but I'll do my best to accommodate the needs of the group.  The real question is, how early can our Cheesehead friends be at the first stop?

Buddy

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 6:09 PM (permalink)
                Just like a Da Bares fan to criticize a Cheesehead
                (as I drink a diet pepsi from from cheese wedge koozie) 

GO BRONCOS!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 6:48 PM (permalink)
                  CK, that wasn't a criticism; that was a legitimate question.  Sorry if it came across that way.  Lord (and all my friends) knows I'm not the guy to be criticizing anyone's tardiness.  I genuinely want to know when we should kick things off without putting a time strain on the folks traveling from north of the Cheddar Curtain.

As for the "Cheesehead" thing, they have MUCH worse things they call us Flatlanders.  I'd be FIBbing if I said different, wouldn't I?

Google it.

Buddy

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
                    ROFLMAO - Ahh Budreaux I do wish I was travelling north

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 10/17/13 11:30 PM (permalink)
                      Buddy and I pared down the restaurant selections to what we think are the best places.  We'll have handouts with all the "zones" and the addresses within them.

Here's an updated version of the map. 

So, let's decide on a start time.  The red zone stops open at 9:00, but I'm guessing that's too early for everyone. 

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                        Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 11:29 AM (permalink)
                        Not getting anything on your link

Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
                          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 2:11 PM (permalink)
                          Mr Milwfoodlover and I will be leaving Milwaukee around 9AM. X1 is most likely a no go. I still have to look at the itinerary. Not sure what time that puts us at our first stop. 

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 7:16 PM (permalink)
                            BuddyRoadhouse

Oh CK, if only she would wait until I'm dead and gone before she shoved me in there.  Sadly, I'm pretty sure she's planning to put me in there once I reach a point where I'm too weak to fight back.

UPDATE: abe and I met this evening  to whittle down the list of sites and firm up the plan.  We've created a new map showing the architectural sites we've selected.  Taking a cue from ScreamingChicken's comment above, we've grouped the buildings by location.

There are five color coded regions on the map, showing potential sites within a limited area.  Rather than list a handful of specific buildings, we'll approach each area based on the mood of the group.  We may visit one building per area or we might stop at as many as four or five, depending on time and energy.  abe and I will continue to do our homework so we can make informed recommendations on the day of the tour, and the group can make informed choices about where we ultimately end up.

We also started linking up eating stops to those neighborhoods.  Again, rather than pick a single stop, we'll have a few limited choices per area, including some old favorites and some new territory to be explored.

THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT OF ALL: We've tentatively picked Sunday, October 20th as the official day for the tour.  We made that decision based on one critical fact--Robie House, a key stop on this tour, is only open for Open House Chicago on Sunday.  If enough Contingent members object to the Sunday choice, or if the group decides Robie House (a Frank Lloyd Wright building) isn't important enough to lock the day to it, we'll change it to Saturday, October 19th.  But it's really critical that we here from the folks who are planning to attend so we can make the proper plans.

abe and I will meet again next week to create the list of potential eating stops.  We'll have handouts available on the day of the tour.

Buddy

My dad was having the same problem, MFL.  It opens okay on my computer as long as I use Firefox and not Safari.  If you weren't having a problem before, maybe try the old link above.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 7:37 PM (permalink)
                              Firefox is all I use, and it's still not coming up.  We'll have print-outs on Sunday, laying out the entire day by color coded zones.

Buddy

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                Buddy and/or Abe,

No luck here with the map?

What is the starting address on Sunday?
                                When do we need to be there (CDT or BRT)?

Jim

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 8:00 PM (permalink)

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                    Lucy,

No map at the link, but I was able to enroll in Obamacare from there!

jrp

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                      JRPfeff

Lucy,

No map at the link, but I was able to enroll in Obamacare from there!

jrp

ROFLMAO - Ohhhhh so you are THE ONE that got registered!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 10/18/13 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                        JRPfeff
                                        What is the starting address on Sunday?
                                        When do we need to be there (CDT or BRT)?
                                        Our starting point will be the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Emil Bach House, 7415 N. Sheridan Rd. on Chicago's north side.

As for our starting time, We're hoping the folks who need to travel the farthest will tell us what works for them.  11am?  Earlier?  Later?  We'll do our best to accommodate you.

BRT indeed. Hmmph.

Buddy

Gyp

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 10/19/13 12:06 AM (permalink)
                                          Leaving Milwaukee at 9 puts us at the first stop around 10:30, barring a major traffic jam. So right around there is fine.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 10/19/13 4:24 AM (permalink)
                                            Let's call it 11am to allow for any unseen delays.  Any objections from anyone?

Buddy

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                              Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 10/19/13 8:57 AM (permalink)
                                              10:30 BRT (11:00 CDT) sounds perfect!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 10/19/13 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                                Current forecast calls for 59 degrees, partly cloudy, no rain.  Sounds like a perfect fall day in Chicago!

See y'all at 11am.

Buddy

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                  Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 10/19/13 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  Gyp

Mr Milwfoodlover and I will be leaving Milwaukee around 9AM. X1 is most likely a no go. I still have to look at the itinerary. Not sure what time that puts us at our first stop. 
                                                  Do you have room for one more in your car & where would you want to meet up if you do?

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 10/19/13 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    abe and I had lunch with carolina bob today, turning it into an unofficial practice run for Sunday.  A couple of notes:

1. There are lane closures on I-90 near where it joins up with I-94.  This shouldn't effect us much because a.) all the Cheeseheads will be coming in on I-94, and b.) in order to get to our first stop you'll be getting off north of the construction, either at the Dempster St./east exit (Kauffman's Bagels on the way), or the Touhy Ave./east exit (NY Bagel & Bialy on the way).  However, be aware that the construction is going on further south and could result in backups coming in.

2. After our initial stops on the north side, we'll be heading south, most likely taking Lake Shore Drive.  Our miserable experience today, driving down Lawrence Ave. convinced us we've made the right choices geographically.  The sites we're hitting tomorrow are in areas that, we think, will be less traveled.  Faster to get from place to place, easier to park once we get there.  But it's still Chicago.  We should be prepared for some level of resistance wherever we go.

3. All of the Open House Chicago sites close by 5:00pm.  We have a lot of places listed with the intention of picking and choosing as we go.  We shouldn't count on visiting every spot on the list, it just isn't realistic.

So, that's it.  My alarm is already set for 8am.  See you at 11:00 at the Emil Bach House!

Buddy

P.S We had our lunch with Bob at Marie's Pizza and Liquors.  It is a decades old neighborhood establishment that has a similar vibe to Maria's Pizza in Milwaukee.  Nice retro feel including deep red vinyl clad banquette seating, simulated rock walls, and garish chandeliers overhead.  Good Pizza, too.

We shared a 14", thin crust, all sausage, half mushroom and onion (guess who didn't have the mushroom and onion side...  Just kiddin' Bob, you know we love you)  It was an excellent tavern style pie, cut in party squares.  Nice crispy edges with a good tomato to cheese ratio.  Sausage was plentiful, but I would've liked a bit more of the veggies.

More important, it was good to see Bob.  He's sorry he won't be able to join us on Sunday, but says hello to his fellow Contingent members and to all Roadfooders far and wide.

B.
                                                    <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sat, 10/19/13 8:39 PM>

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 10/20/13 4:33 AM (permalink)
                                                      I don't think I'm coming tomorrow. Did too much today. Awake & waiting for the painkiller to kick in...

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                                                        • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                        Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 10/21/13 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                                        Sorry to get back to you so late-- as you noticed, Sancho and I weren't there. (Or did you notice?)  We were in Mexico for a few days, so did a little roadfooding of a different kind.

So.... where'd you all go? Whadja eat? Pictures? 

Gyp

• Location: Wauwatosa, WI
                                                          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Tue, 10/22/13 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                                          Sorry for the giant pictures. Photobucket's resizing option has always been janky for me.

Big thanks to the Roadhouse family for another thorough and impeccably planned outing.

First stop en route to Chicago for MilwFoodlover and I- Kaufman's Deli in Skokie where we ran into the JRPfeff group. A very popular stop on a Sunday morning judging by the crowd. I picked up a dozen bagels and some vegetable cream cheese.

First stop on the Open House Chicago tour was the Emil Bach House. The rest of the group was there when we arrived and the line was really long so instead of there   
                                                          some had gone and visited the Cat's Cradle B&B next door. 

The tour moved south and we went to the Bridgeview Bank. Scenes from the movie Public Enemies were filmed here

the vault which isn't normally open to the public

And then a quick stop across the street to The Green Mill where Al Capone's favorite booth still is.

For lunch we went to Milt's BBQ for the Perplexed for some very tasty eats
                                                          pickles

chicken wings

fried chicken skins

smoked brisket sandwich

Next stop was the Prairie Avenue District, the "original Gold Coast." Very cool. We took in the Clarke House

and the Glesnner House

Then we had a little snack at Ed's Potsticker House. It was my first trip there and did not disappoint.    
                                                          Tianjin Style Steamed Pork Buns

Pan Fried Smoked Pork Cake

Eggplant with Garlic Sauce

Cumin flavor lamb

After that we enjoyed a dessert a la trunk of PieDiva's outstanding butterscotch pie with curry crust 

Then we walked a few blocks to our last architectural stop St Mary of Perpetual Help

MilwFoodLover & I left and stopped at Nhu Lan's Bakery on the way home for Banh Mi
                                                          Banh Mi Chao Tom

<message edited by Gyp on Tue, 10/22/13 12:39 PM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4714
                                                            • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                            Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Tue, 10/22/13 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                                            Nice coverage, Gyp!  I'm sorry I wasn't able to participate; it looks like it was a good day.  Does the Green Mill Lounge have any connection to the Green Mill chain here in the Midwest?

St. Mary of Perpetual Help sounds like a place where Bears GM Phil Emory could be often found these days...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 152

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com