The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fish Camps?

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Fish Camps? Sun, 07/21/13 3:05 PM (permalink)
On a recent trip to Florida, I came across a number of "Fish Camps." I'd never heard of that expression before, but I understood what they meant. Is this an expression only in Florida,, or other places as well? And then, what are some good places to recommend, wherever?

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
    Re:Fish Camps? Sun, 07/21/13 4:51 PM (permalink)
    There's a delightful restaurant called "Fish Camp" a little east of Dallas in Royce City.  We liked it so well I recommended it to the Sterns and Bilmes/Boyle - and to anyone else who likes seafood and is around the Big D.

http://fishcamproysecity.com/

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Fish Camps? Sun, 07/21/13 10:20 PM (permalink)
      Sterns reviewed Mac's Fish Camp, in Mississippi in several of their early editions of ROADFOOD. I don't know if it still exists but it sounded like a great (if primitive) place for Catfish.

buffetbuster

Re:Fish Camps? Mon, 07/22/13 7:37 AM (permalink)
        In the middle of nowhere of west Alabama is Ezell's Fish Camp.  It is a rustic wood structure sitting right on the shores of Tombigbee and is pure Roadfood atmosphere.  I have been there twice so far and can attest that the catfish and the cole slaw that comes with every meal is first rate, but everything else we tried was average to downright awful.  Still, it is well worth seeking out if you are ever in the area. 

MetroplexJim

Re:Fish Camps? Mon, 07/22/13 8:14 AM (permalink)
          Here's the video that "lured" us to Fish Camp in Royce City, TX:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/food-drink/Flaming-Dessert-at-Fish-Camp-Will-Catch-Your-Eye-135935048.html

Even though it's only a mile or two off I-30 just east of Dallas, it does seem to be in the middle of nowhere - alone beside a several acre fishing pond where kids are free to fish.  It truly is a 'labor of love' for the owners and is well worth repeated visits.

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
            Re:Fish Camps? Mon, 07/22/13 9:05 AM (permalink)
            Fish camps are common in North Carolina, especially near Charlotte

MetroplexJim

Re:Fish Camps? Mon, 07/22/13 9:50 AM (permalink)
              Captain Morgan

When I hear "fish camp" I think of a "You catch 'em; We cook 'em" type of very rustic place.  Is that true where the sky is Carolina Blue?

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                Re:Fish Camps? Mon, 07/22/13 11:44 AM (permalink)
                There used to be a place out in McQueeny on lake McQueeny called Hot Shots.
                Never ate there, but they had fish frys and such.It was tucked away on a road off of FM78 as you went to Seguin,across the Guadalupe River. Had to cross the river and then you made a left down this road and wound around. One of those places you stumble on by accident, like the old Goerke's Tavern in the countryside out near Marion.There was an article about HotShots in the paper one day.Don't know if it is still around. I think it was closed for a bit,and then they reopened it. Goerke's sits empty.The family sold their place and someone opened  a steakhouse there,which didn't make it.The family opened a new place in Marion called GG's Cafe on FM78.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                  Re:Fish Camps? Tue, 07/23/13 1:30 AM (permalink)
                  Chuck the Corporate life!!!
                  Buy a Fish Camp in Alaska!
                  (Are you listening Leechef?)
                  http://www.alaskafishcamp.com/index.html

Captain Morgan

Re:Fish Camps? Wed, 07/24/13 8:44 AM (permalink)
                    MetroplexJim

Captain Morgan

When I hear "fish camp" I think of a "You catch 'em; We cook 'em" type of very rustic place.  Is that true where the sky is Carolina Blue?

I think they started out that way, but most now serve family style, bringing out large bowls of fish, slaw, and such.  Some places will still your catch though.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                      Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 07/25/13 11:25 AM (permalink)
                      Haven't eaten at a fish camp in many a year. Last time was at the Chunky Fish Camp in Chunky, MS, (just outside Meridian). They had great fresh caught catfish and hush puppies. If they're still there I guess I'll have to put them on a list of places to hit up next time I'm in the area.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 07/25/13 12:16 PM (permalink)
                        In several of the early RF book the Stern's reviewed a fish place called  "CATFISH N" in Dardenelles, Arkansas. It was located Just a couple of minutes off I-40 below a dam on the Arkansas River. A step up from the rustic lean-to type of fish camp, it was still real 'country-style' bungalow with a deck for outdoor eating and a dining room. It had a menu, but everyone came for the AYCE Catfish and fixin's.   Anyone been there recently??

buffetbuster

Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 07/25/13 12:23 PM (permalink)
                          Al-
                          Cousin Johnny and I ate at Catfish N just last year.  Not great, but still worth a stop by if you are in the area.  My report can be found here.

Captain Morgan

Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 07/25/13 1:46 PM (permalink)
                            this website claims Gaston county, NC, near Charlotte has
                            around 30 fish camps.

Seems high to me, but I'm not gonna go counting.
                            http://www.visitgaston.org/great-stories-of-gaston-county/item/fish-camps-a-gaston-county-tradition.html

Captain Morgan

Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 07/25/13 1:50 PM (permalink)
                              here's a good article about one...

Ask folks along the Catawba River in Gaston County how to spend an old-time weekend, and pretty quickly the talk will turn to fish camps.
                              Luther Lineberger started the first of these down-home restaurants back in 1948. According to a small, delightful exhibit at the Belmont Historical Society, “He began cooking up a mess of fish on Friday and/or Saturday nights for his friends and fellow mill workers of Cramerton Mills.”
                              Pretty soon he slapped up an eating house out of rough-sawn lumber, recalls Historical Society volunteer Max Robinson. “Burned off the splinters with a blowtorch,” says another volunteer, Jack Cannon.
                              By the 1960s half a dozen “fish camps” had folks lined out the door on weekend evenings. Catfish, carp and crappies caught right out of the Catawba gave way to shrimp, flounder and other fish from distant waters, battered and deep fried. Lineberger's burned in 1998 but many of the rest remain, clustered near the textile town of Belmont off Interstate 85 across the Catawba from Charlotte.

you can read the whole article at
                              http://www.historysouth.org/food/fishcamp.html

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 07/25/13 4:49 PM (permalink)
                                Back in the 80's my husband and I went to a fishing camp in Maine. We enjoyed it. They would either cook the fish you caught or you could eat what they offered in the dining room. I remember the food being so good. I don't know if it really was or if I was just so hungry from hiking and fishing all day!

Captain Morgan

Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 08/15/13 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                  Here's a definitive article about what makes a fish camp different from other restaurants, from the fish camp capitol of the world.

"The county has played host to numerous fish camps and seafood restaurants over the years. So what separates a makes a fish camp from a regular seafood restaurant?
                                  A camp is usually family-owned, often more modest in appearance, and almost always serves up larger dishes than a seafood restaurant, explains Walter Israel, director of Gaston County Travel & Tourism.
                                  But there is one test that a restaurant has to pass above all others: “A fish camp’s old standby has been fried, fried, and fried,” he says."

read more at   http://www.ourstate.com/gaston-county-fish-camps/

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                    Re:Fish Camps? Thu, 08/15/13 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                    I spent some time in Jacksonville FL a couple years ago and a business vendor took me to Clark's Fish Camp.    Went back twice, always a fun dinner.  Crazy menu.
                                    http://www.clarksfishcamp.com/Appitisers.aspx

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                      Re:Fish Camps? Sat, 08/17/13 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                      Did any of the camps mentioned have swamp gravy? 
                                      http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=450473&high=swamp+gravy

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                        Re:Fish Camps? Sat, 08/17/13 9:16 AM (permalink)
                                        Captain Morgan

Here's a definitive article about what makes a fish camp different from other restaurants, from the fish camp capitol of the world.

"The county has played host to numerous fish camps and seafood restaurants over the years. So what separates a makes a fish camp from a regular seafood restaurant?
                                        A camp is usually family-owned, often more modest in appearance, and almost always serves up larger dishes than a seafood restaurant, explains Walter Israel, director of Gaston County Travel & Tourism.
                                        But there is one test that a restaurant has to pass above all others: “A fish camp’s old standby has been fried, fried, and fried,” he says."

read more at   http://www.ourstate.com/gaston-county-fish-camps/

How true.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com