Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where to get unique tomatoes?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Sun, 09/1/13 12:23 PM (permalink)
You're welcome!

Jersey tomatoes are sweet...tangy...& a tad winey.

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 184
    Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Thu, 10/3/13 10:42 PM (permalink)
    Oh sorry guys.. I have a full review online here.. some pics too..

Next year I'm growing my own. My Cousin has a garden.. we pay $5 a year for a 20x20 plot of land and $25 for water. This year he fit in 64 plants of 17 varieties and we were bringing home like 80 pounds of tomatoes a week or so!

So, every year they have a tomato starter plant sale the Sunday before Mother's Day up in Bridgewater, NJ. They told me they sell just about every variety I was able to taste.. which was like 120 kinds.  Only day of the year they sell.

http://www.seriouseats.co...rs-tomato-tasting.html
    <message edited by yuppicide on Thu, 10/3/13 10:45 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
      Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Thu, 10/3/13 11:30 PM (permalink)
      My local Wholefoods is selling incredibly delicious Early Girl
      tomatoes. They're truly fabulous! But, they cost (are you sitting down) $6.99 LB. Highway robbery!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
        Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Thu, 10/3/13 11:56 PM (permalink)
        Dearfolk,
           You're buying mass-grown Florida tomatoes. The vine-ripened kind are wondrous, especially if you find them from Hardee or Desoto County. Publix stores usually have Florida homegrowns; they squish when you bite into 'em, unlike them crunchy kind that tain't nothin' but cellulose.
              Wholeheartedly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Thu, 10/3/13 11:57 PM (permalink)
          P. S. You'll pay a tad extra, but they're worth it. Remember you can grow tomatoes virtually year-round by the time you get as far south as Hardee County.

yuppicide

Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Fri, 10/4/13 8:17 PM (permalink)
            Florida tomatoes are terrible compared to New Jersey. There's just something about the taste and I can tell the difference. During the season I'll have a tomato sandwich almost every day.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
              Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Fri, 10/4/13 10:01 PM (permalink)
              yuppicide

Florida tomatoes are terrible compared to New Jersey. There's just something about the taste and I can tell the difference. During the season I'll have a tomato sandwich almost every day.

I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. As much as I love New Jersey tomatoes, I've had some vine ripened beefsteak tomatoes in a restaurant while in Florida that were truly amazing!

yuppicide

Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Fri, 10/4/13 10:09 PM (permalink)
                Every Florida or Canada tomato I've had was not good. Sometimes I find a good package of Kumato's. Wegman's grocery store carried some unique colored tomatoes from Canada. $3.99 for ONE freakin tomato so I put it back.

My Aunt lives in Florida now and my Mom lives in Hawaii. We ship them tomatoes every year.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                  Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Fri, 10/4/13 11:27 PM (permalink)
                  yuppicide

Ort. Carlton.

Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Sun, 10/6/13 9:50 PM (permalink)
                    Dearfolk,
                       Once I ate a vine ripened Hardee County tomato on a sandwich. My father's late Cousin Jack remarked "Now THAT'S a tomato!" "Those store-bought ones aren't tomatoes, Jack; they're doorstops," his wife Mae Frank quipped. I have used the phrase "doorstop tomatoes" ever since for that crunchy, pale kind. Mae Frank is alive and decently well; she'll be 101 next birthday.
                          Wholeheartedly, Ort. Carlton in Occasionally Crunchy Athens, Georgia.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                      Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Thu, 10/10/13 12:03 AM (permalink)
                      Unfortunately the weather is about the only thing in our favor for growing tomatoes here in South Florida. As an experienced gardener and a tomato grower I have to say between the virii, wilts and their seeming ability to destroy otherwise healthy plants almost instantaneously I've almost given up. The ones I have gotten to true vine ripened  status have kept me hanging on. Neem oil and Daconil are truly the gardeners friend here in steamy Florida

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
                        Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Sat, 10/19/13 2:03 PM (permalink)
                        The Florida tomatoes you are getting in NJ are mass produced and shipped green to prevent damage. If you could taste the vine ripes from around here (Tampa East and South) you would think differently and when they are about .69-.89 lb you think twice about growing them.

mike

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                          Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Sat, 11/23/13 12:02 PM (permalink)
                          Yesterday, I saw in WAL*MART (of all places) a prepak with 4 different kinds of heirlooms in it. They were grown in Mexico, and variety was not stated. There was a red, a brown, a yellow, and a black. A month or so ago, I bought a prepak of black tomatoes (Canadian greenhouse) at the supermarket. Again, the variety was not stated.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                            Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Sat, 11/23/13 12:36 PM (permalink)
                            tmiles

Yesterday, I saw in WAL*MART (of all places) a prepak with 4 different kinds of heirlooms in it. They were grown in Mexico, and variety was not stated. There was a red, a brown, a yellow, and a black. A month or so ago, I bought a prepak of black tomatoes (Canadian greenhouse) at the supermarket. Again, the variety was not stated.
                            They sound very pretty, BUT how did they taste?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6220
                              Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Sat, 11/23/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
                              I will not be buying tomatoes until next year's crop.  Boo hoo.  I don't care for all the different striped, crazy colored heirlooms, find them pretty but tasteless.  We ate our share of big, fat, red beefsteak tomatoes this past summer so I'm not complaining.

tmiles

Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Fri, 11/29/13 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                Pancho

tmiles

I didn't buy the Walmart tomatoes, but the Canadian greenhouse ones were very good for off season. Home garden IS the best, I agree, but compared to the cardboard tomatoes of 20 or 30 years ago, the supermarket kinds are now (IMO) fairly good year 'round. All the "new" colors and shapes make it all the more interesting. I know that most of them are not really heirlooms, but rather look alikes, but they are better than anything growing in my garden this time of year! 

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                  Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Fri, 11/29/13 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                  tmiles

Pancho

tmiles

I didn't buy the Walmart tomatoes, but the Canadian greenhouse ones were very good for off season. Home garden IS the best, I agree, but compared to the cardboard tomatoes of 20 or 30 years ago, the supermarket kinds are now (IMO) fairly good year 'round. All the "new" colors and shapes make it all the more interesting. I know that most of them are not really heirlooms, but rather look alikes, but they are better than anything growing in my garden this time of year! 
                                  Agreed, and I've found that the Roma variety found in supermarkets aren't all that bad. Especially if used for sauces, salsas, etc. Thanks for the feedback!

tmiles

Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Wed, 03/5/14 3:11 PM (permalink)
                                    The new Johnnys seed catalog has LOTS of tomato seed, but a 2 page spread of a dozen or so new, especially colorful kinds caught my eye.

As Johnny is a major seed supplier to growers who sell at farmers markets, I predict a wonderful supply of interesting tomatoes at farm markets, and farm stands this summer.

Johnny's is now 100% employee owned, but founder Rob Johnston was at a trade show a few years ago. I've met him a few times, and was one of his earliest customers. I had lunch, a year ago, at the New England trade show, and got to sit with some of the Johnnys staff.........good people.

Johnnys is up in Maine, but easy to find on the internet, if you are looking to grow some interesting tomatoes yourself.  

Update... I've ordered and started way to many seeds for this season!!!! I'm growing about 20 kinds of tomato, and by the time I get extra plants from other gardening friends, I'll probably have 25!!!! I'm especially looking forward to some new "black" varieties. One is said to be the darkest and most flavorful yet........we will see.
                                    <message edited by tmiles on Tue, 03/11/14 1:44 PM>

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
                                      Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Fri, 03/21/14 10:27 PM (permalink)
                                      State by state, heritage seed companies http://www.scrumptiousche...eirloom-Seeds-In-Texas

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                                        Re:Where to get unique tomatoes? Sat, 03/22/14 2:07 AM (permalink)
                                        AZ climate is not conducive to growing tomatoes at home.
                                        I'm find the Tomatoes "On the Stem" at the stores have a pretty decent flavor and if you leave them on the stem, they keep better than those off the stem. Must still get nutrient's from the stems.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com