The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Sat, 07/27/13 11:55 PM (permalink)
Smithsonian.com has a blog titled "The Daily Meal" www.dailymeal.com
In a recent edition, they published an article presenting a road trip that covers 60 BBQ Joints and over 5,120 miles!
The trip can be broken up into 3 segments if you don't have the time or BBQ Capacity to do it all at once.
Many of the Joints have been covered on here but here they are in all of one dose! 
http://www.thedailymeal.com/ultimate-bbq-road-trip-2013?page=0,1

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
    Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Sun, 07/28/13 12:14 AM (permalink)
    Sounds great, I'd be in, but not for east coast....sorry, but I never considered  vinegar based sauce as real Q.  IMO.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
      Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Sun, 07/28/13 12:22 AM (permalink)
      myterry2

Sounds great, I'd be in, but not for east coast....sorry, but I never considered  vinegar based sauce as real Q.  IMO.

That's strange? I never considered that sickening sweet gooey goop they call BBQ sauce in the Midwest real Q either! (IMO)

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Sun, 07/28/13 6:44 AM (permalink)
        There's room in the generic term for many regional specialties...Sweet, Spicy, Mustard, Vinegar, NO-SAUCE, they all count !
        i won't even start to define the meats (or other stuff) that becomes a BBQ entree in some areas !

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 409
          Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Sun, 07/28/13 5:08 PM (permalink)
          Ultimate FAIL!

Seriously, they suggest you leave Knoxville (in pt 3), skip all the good BBQ around Chattanooga, and all the good BBQ around I-75 and I-575 and when you get to Atlanta, you head to the way-outta-the-way northern suburb of Cumming for... a Jim n' Nick's franchise?!

Even if you INSISTED on a Jim n' Nick's, there's a closer one in Smyrna.  But THAT is the Atlanta example?  Over fifty others that I could name, a Jim n' Nick's?!   Hogwash!

Also, the pork at Paul's is chopped, not sliced.  Good grief.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Sun, 07/28/13 5:16 PM (permalink)
            It is one of those you make of it what you can.

There could never be a true Ultimate BBQ trail guide, because there are so many side of the road places that don't make it on anyone's list.

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
              Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Mon, 08/19/13 6:16 PM (permalink)
              The list is a start, especially for someone who is new to roadfooding.  After they've gobbled down all the food in the restaurants on this list, they can then venture into more exotic territory like where I live--where barbecued mutton is the meat of choice.

<message edited by Louis on Mon, 08/19/13 6:17 PM>

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
                Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Mon, 08/19/13 6:55 PM (permalink)
                myterry2

Considering you're from Illinois ....................

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                  Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Mon, 08/19/13 7:45 PM (permalink)
                  Considering your from redneck NC...I can understand why you feel that way...I was raised in the south, but live in IL....where I can make real living....and have my own opinons....heck, you people couldn't even elect one of the greatest race car drivers ever, R Petty, as your Secretary of State, and you are going to call me out for not liking vineger based sauce...please spare me.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Mon, 08/19/13 8:08 PM (permalink)
                    Great way to get this thread locked, people.....my family is from N.C.-I don't like either sauce...I like sauces I have had in other parts of the country-even here in Wisconsin.Its a matter of taste. What isn't a matter of taste is name calling.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                      Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Mon, 08/19/13 8:18 PM (permalink)
                      I didn't know Richard Petty ran for Secretary of State of NC. 
                      Sounds like Mayberry gone wild.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Mon, 08/19/13 8:58 PM (permalink)
                        The humor in "Bashing" grows old quickly , folks.   Let's keep the opinions polite, Please.  We all have Personal likes and dislikes in 'Que -- Meat choices , Presentation-  Chopped, Minced, Sliced, or Whole,  Side Dishes from Beans to Zuchini, are all things that folks vary on a lot...then there is the sauce/no sauce decision and all the variations from Asian to Zulu of stuff to put on the BBQ (???)... 

So quit knocking what someone else likes and brag about how good your favorites are.
                        I like a variety of meats... Whole Hog Pickin' is one of my favorites. Louis Muellers Beef  Ribs and Fatty Brisket, Black's BBQ Garlic Jalopena Sausage, The Brick Pit's Ribs and Pulled Pork, Moonlit BBQ Mutton Chunks, Arthur Bryants BBQ Beans,   All of these are noteworthy and worth a long side-trip when searching for good BBQ.  We don't get over to North Carolina much so I won't comment on the search area that is the theme for this thread...but the rest of the country has some outstanding places to visit, and should receive your attention if you ever do the same search outside of N C .
                        <message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/19/13 9:10 PM>

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                          Re:The ULTIMATE BBQ Roadtrip for 2013 Mon, 08/19/13 9:24 PM (permalink)
                          the tour is big, Mayor, but what they're fighting about is small.
                          And BTW FBM, the Best KC sauces are not sweet and goopy but hot and nasty. :)
                          <message edited by 1bbqboy on Mon, 08/19/13 9:27 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com