Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Restaurants categories facing extinction

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 65
CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:01 PM (permalink)
They did have good greasy hamburgers!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
    Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:07 PM (permalink)
    Ed,
    Speaking of Hungarian restaurants.......going here in August.
     http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/7586/jozsa-corner

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:08 PM (permalink)
      Glenn1234

"Coffee Shops" are rapidly disappearing.  I'm not talking about  "coffee houses", where the birkenstock-clad "new hippies" and "hipsters"  hang out leeching the free Wi-Fi. 

I'm not sure which coffee houses you're going to  but I find a diverse array of folks who go to local coffee houses, and of all ages too, in fact the locals who go to my coffee house look like a casting call from the Sopranos.

The only reason why I go to coffee houses is because of the  hot water with food coloring that they try to sell off as coffee elsewhere.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
        Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
        lleechef

Ed,

Looks like a great place. I trust Ralph! 

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 510
          Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:26 PM (permalink)
          wanderingjew

Glenn1234

"Coffee Shops" are rapidly disappearing.  I'm not talking about  "coffee houses", where the birkenstock-clad "new hippies" and "hipsters"  hang out leeching the free Wi-Fi. 

I'm not sure which coffee houses you're going to  but I find a diverse array of folks who go to local coffee houses, and of all ages too, in fact the locals who go to my coffee house look like a casting call from the Sopranos.

The only reason why I go to coffee houses is because of the  hot water with food coloring that they try to sell off as coffee elsewhere.

That is excellent!  Sometimes it seems almost everywhere in RI (northern RI at least) looks like a casting call from the Sopranos!   LOL!  Man, sometimes I miss RI. 

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Tue, 07/30/13 5:35 PM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
            Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:26 PM (permalink)
            EdSails

lleechef

Ed,

Ed
            We're going with some real Roadfood professionals........Ralph and Lori, buffetbuster and Mariton, wanderingjew and Sandra!!! 

Glenn1234

Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:29 PM (permalink)
              EdSails

Glenn,
              Read the post I did a few weeks ago on the restoration of a real Googie-era diner in Downey by Bob's Big Boy. You'll find that things are looking up---a bit, at least.

That would be great to see Googie coffee shops make a comeback!

Glenn

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:43 PM (permalink)
                lleechef

EdSails

lleechef

Ed,

Ed
                We're going with some real Roadfood professionals........Ralph and Lori, buffetbuster and Mariton, wanderingjew and Sandra!!! 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:47 PM (permalink)
                  Glenn1234

wanderingjew

Glenn1234

That is excellent!  Sometimes it seems almost everywhere in RI (northern RI at least) looks like a casting call from the Sopranos!   LOL!  Man, sometimes I miss RI. 

Glenn

It's spread to Southern RI too...

However for the ultimate experience...

Brewed Awakenings in Johnston---- the crowd is totally out of "central casting"

Take a gander at some of those photos and you'll see what I mean!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 5:51 PM (permalink)
                    wanderingjew

lleechef

EdSails

lleechef

Ed,

Ed

Watch Out Dale before long Sandra will be like Mariton and have her own list of over 500 RF places. 

Extreme Glow

Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
                      Lutefisk-on-a-stick places don't seem to be doing well either.

Glenn1234

• Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                        Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 6:05 PM (permalink)
                        wanderingjew

Glenn1234

wanderingjew

Glenn1234

Glenn

I'm not much "into" coffee, and more often than not, if I go to a real coffee place, it's to get tea and a muffin.    But, next time I go to RI, I'll have to go to Brewed Awakenings just to see the "cast of characters."   Johnston is about as close as you can get to a Sopranos cast outside of "Joisey".  

Glenn

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 6:20 PM (permalink)
                          Glenn1234

wanderingjew

Glenn1234

wanderingjew

Glenn1234

Glenn

I'm not much "into" coffee, and more often than not, if I go to a real coffee place, it's to get tea and a muffin.    But, next time I go to RI, I'll have to go to Brewed Awakenings just to see the "cast of characters."   Johnston is about as close as you can get to a Sopranos cast outside of "Joisey".  

Glenn

I think that sopranos/jersey concept is mostly Hollywood's doing...It used to be that way.. but not any more...

Being a native New Yorker with a few friends living in North Jersey this guy still comes to mind (Jewish or not)

EdSails

Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 6:56 PM (permalink)
                            lleechef

EdSails

lleechef

Ed,

Ed

Sure wish I could join you.....sounds like my kind of visit! and what a great crowd!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 7:53 PM (permalink)
                              CajunKing

wanderingjew

lleechef

EdSails

lleechef

Ed,

Ed

Watch Out Dale before long Sandra will be like Mariton and have her own list of over 500 RF places. 

I'll won't start worrying  until she puts  Chi Town Diner to shame

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                                Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Tue, 07/30/13 11:27 PM (permalink)
                                lleechef

Ed,

When my son was assigned to Calgary, we ate one night at a lovely Hungarian Restaurant
                                http://jonasrestaurant.homestead.com/index.html

A bit of a surprise, but it was so good!  Mostly family run and they really cared.

Ralph Melton

Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Wed, 07/31/13 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                  Josza's Corner is certainly a great Hungarian restaurant, but it only barely contradicts a statement that there are no Hungarian restaurants in Pittsburgh.

A century ago, Pittsburgh had large numbers of Hungarian boarding houses. It seems natural to me that one or two of them would have evolved into Hungarian restaurants. But as far as I know, this did not happen, and I don't know why.

Besides Josza's Corner, I know of one Hungarian restaurant in the Laurel Highlands, and a bar in Bloomfield that often serves goulash, but Hungarian restaurants are few and far between.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                                    Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Wed, 07/31/13 12:40 PM (permalink)
                                    It's been several years, but my husband and I had a wonderful Hungarian dinner at Bandi's in Vancouver (BC).
                                    http://www.123vancouver.com/restaurants/bandis.htm
                                    Do not confuse with Brandi's, which is a strip club.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Wed, 07/31/13 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                      wanderingjew

CajunKing

wanderingjew

lleechef

EdSails

lleechef

Ed,

Ed

I'll won't start worrying  until she puts  Chi Town Diner to shame

Your safe then until the year 2347 or so.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                        Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Wed, 07/31/13 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                        We are lucky enough to have an independent chili restaurant in Milwaukee-Real Chili. Its been around forever. In the western suburbs of Milwaukee, there are a couple of ice cream stands that make root beer in house. Both are a dying breed, however.

EdSails

Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Wed, 07/31/13 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                          rumaki

It's been several years, but my husband and I had a wonderful Hungarian dinner at Bandi's in Vancouver (BC).
                                          http://www.123vancouver.com/restaurants/bandis.htm
                                          Do not confuse with Brandi's, which is a strip club.

Now there would be an interesting concept. A Hungarian restaurant AND strip joint. They could serve cocktails made with Naked Juice!

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
                                            Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Thu, 08/1/13 12:43 AM (permalink)
                                            MetroplexJim
                                            I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the lunch counters/ soda fountains at "old school" drug and '5 & 10' stores.

Look at the first message in the thread...

Bart

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                              Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Thu, 08/1/13 6:55 AM (permalink)
                                              Bamn! (the NYC automatish concept that was much more like the automats found overseas than Horn & Hardart ) has been closed since 2009. For some reason the website remains active. It was eh.

I'm not sure if this is still active but a few years ago this was going on in LA Chinatown...

More like creative vending machines filled with unique snacks & seating (and possibly more of an art project than serious business venture) but that's so quirky it's cool. If it's still there I'm putting it on the list.

Other than that the only other concept somewhat close in Los Angeles might be cupcake ATMs by Sprinkles. I'd do that as well.
                                              <message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 08/1/13 7:04 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                                Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Thu, 08/1/13 8:53 AM (permalink)
                                                [This post was marked as helpful]
                                                bartl

MetroplexJim
                                                I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the lunch counters/ soda fountains at "old school" drug and '5 & 10' stores.

Look at the first message in the thread...

Bart

I'm going to blame Evelyn Wood!

Truthfully:

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                  Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Fri, 11/22/13 3:56 AM (permalink)
                                                  Novak's in Albany, Oregon (sic) is a very fun and quite good Hungarian restaurant

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                                    Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Fri, 11/22/13 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                                    The Classic (old school) French Restaurant.

In my young Northern Virginia adulthood (1975 - 85) my very favorite restaurants were the classic French:  The Company Inkwell and l'Alouette in Arlington and Rive Gauche, Jean-Pierre, and Dominique's in DC. 

Here is a "must do" on our next trip to The City:

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                                                      • Location: Minneapolis, MN
                                                      Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Fri, 11/22/13 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                                      I remember Dominique's very fondly.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                                        Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Fri, 11/22/13 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        Not really a restaurant but Neighborhood candy stores -been  replaced by "C" Stores.

Foodbme

• Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Fri, 11/22/13 10:47 PM (permalink)
                                                          Fondue places and Creperie's

Foodbme

• Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                            Re:Restaurants categories facing extinction Fri, 11/22/13 10:48 PM (permalink)
                                                            Soda Shops

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 65

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com