The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business

Hungry Hornet

• Total Posts: 1
What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Wed, 08/21/13 12:19 PM (permalink)
I'm looking to get into the foodtruck business and was wondering what tips and advice could you give me, I'm thinking of doing burgers, fried breakfast items and coffee on my truck

roadkillgrill

• Total Posts: 174
    Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Wed, 08/21/13 3:16 PM (permalink)
    I would say, that you would have a better ROI during a stock market crash.... 

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Wed, 08/21/13 5:50 PM (permalink)
      I'd say you should spend at least 2 hours a day for a year reading post on here about the food industry in general and concessions before you decide to jump into the food business. Especially with a menu like you mentioned which is so generic in this day and age. And as your reading find a job in the industry and work from the bottom up so that you feel eventually that your ready to jump into the business. Then go for it. What the hell you can only make money or lose your shirt.

BelCibo

• Total Posts: 155
        Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Thu, 08/22/13 8:05 AM (permalink)
        Find a truck locally or close by that will not directly compete with your branding and work for them for free for a while.  You'll see the business first hand and get to pick their brains.  This experience will be priceless if you decide to get a truck or save you $60k if you do not.

On your menu, review the other Food Truck options in your area and find something that is not already being served.  If you are going to be doing events you need to be unique or the existing guy doing burgers will be getting the invites.  Many promoters only invite one truck of each food type.

Do lots of reading here, Food Truck books, but most importantly find an experienced Truck owner to learn from.

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
          Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Thu, 08/22/13 1:38 PM (permalink)
          best way to make a million with food trucks is to start with 10 million.

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
            Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Sat, 08/24/13 6:58 AM (permalink)
            HAVE SOMEONE HIT YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH A B.F.H.  then hit you on  the foot to take your mind off your head!
            then work for McDonalds for a year, then....... B.O.H. at THE first greasy spoon you come to                                oh yea do this for free................. 

hpx

• Total Posts: 22
              Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Wed, 09/4/13 10:12 AM (permalink)
              Best advice to anyone getting in the food business at all; BE PATIENT. very patient. Do not believe the stories of making your old years pay every month and working only when you want.

kagor

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Thu, 09/5/13 2:31 PM (permalink)
                Like I've been telling people for over twenty years who suggest that they want to get into the "food business" try working in the business for two or three years first.  It's not like on TV.  It's low paying blue collar work.  I graduated, over a million years ago, from culinary school with a class of 34.  Within two years there were only about 6 or 7 of us left in the industry.  Most of the class was made up of young kids or people starting second careers who had watch to much "Food Network".  They thought life in the kitchen was going to be one big "bam".  They quickly found out that if you like cutting and burning yourself, standing on your feet all day, having no personal life and taking home very little pay then this is the life for you.  Now don't get me wrong.  If your crazy enough, like me, to stick it out it can be a very rewarding career.  I owned three restaurants before being forced into retirement because of a bad wheel a few years back.  In a nutshell what I'm saying is "do not go into this with no experience and unrealistic expectations".  Remember that three in five restaurants fail in the first year, and that includes chains.  Imagine what the rate on failure is for independents.  Good luck.

hpx

• Total Posts: 22
                  Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Thu, 09/5/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
                  I have always said you gotta be a certain kind of crazy to be in foodservice. IT IS NEVER FUN but can be very satisfying. DO NOT believe those phoney food truck shows, they have no connection to reality whatsoever.

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 224
                    Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Thu, 09/5/13 5:23 PM (permalink)
                    I think most of it is fun...sure it's stressful, loose sleep, no time, not much money, etc. etc. but if you can't find fun and make the best of what's an already tough job then life will be very, very long and miserable.  Gotta have fun.  If its not make it fun!

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Fri, 09/6/13 7:09 AM (permalink)
                      hpx
                      I have always said you gotta be a certain kind of crazy to be in foodservice. IT IS NEVER FUN but can be very satisfying. DO NOT believe those phoney food truck shows, they have no connection to reality whatsoever.

Right on target.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:What advice would you give someone getting into the foodtruck business Fri, 09/6/13 7:12 AM (permalink)
                        kagor
                        Like I've been telling people for over twenty years who suggest that they want to get into the "food business" try working in the business for two or three years first.  It's not like on TV.  It's low paying blue collar work.  I graduated, over a million years ago, from culinary school with a class of 34.  Within two years there were only about 6 or 7 of us left in the industry.  Most of the class was made up of young kids or people starting second careers who had watch to much "Food Network".  They thought life in the kitchen was going to be one big "bam".  They quickly found out that if you like cutting and burning yourself, standing on your feet all day, having no personal life and taking home very little pay then this is the life for you.  Now don't get me wrong.  If your crazy enough, like me, to stick it out it can be a very rewarding career.  I owned three restaurants before being forced into retirement because of a bad wheel a few years back.  In a nutshell what I'm saying is "do not go into this with no experience and unrealistic expectations".  Remember that three in five restaurants fail in the first year, and that includes chains.  Imagine what the rate on failure is for independents.  Good luck.

Another thought and good reply. Although most won't follow your advice and will jump in with only stars in their eyes. If only real life were more like the movies...lol.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com