The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

NEW INFO - Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - APRIL 12, 2014

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 23, messages 31 to 60 of 682
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 08/28/13 2:34 PM (permalink)

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 08/28/13 3:28 PM (permalink)
    WOW TJ your homestyle restaurant actually looks good, and home made pies too. BB will have to check that one out.

karilyn

• Total Posts: 142
      Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 09/1/13 11:22 AM (permalink)
      My sister and her family live in Blue Ash.  In all the years that I've visited out there I've only been to Blue Ash Chile and Skyline Chile.  Depending on your timing in the Spring, I might like to join you.  I've managed to try Montgomery Ribs too but not much else that would be Roadfood worthy in the area.  We're always focused on family when we go so we don't do too much exploring.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 09/1/13 4:50 PM (permalink)
        Karilyn - We would be glad to have you join us this coming spring.  I am looking at a few non chili or ice cream stops to break up the day.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 09/2/13 6:14 PM (permalink)
          L2B's pies just came through Chicago....didn't even take a full Benjamin to reroute that delivery....you really would have enjoyed them!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
            Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 09/2/13 7:44 PM (permalink)
            If you are doing a Chili Crawl in the Cincy area you really have to cross the river and hit Dixie Chili. http://www.dixiechili.com/

If you have never been there I think it is the best in the area for its type and I have eaten Camp Washington, Blue Ash, Price Hill and all the others. 

Founded in 1929 by Nicholas D. Sarakatsannis, Dixie Chili set the standard for quality food at reasonable prices. "Papa Nick" developed his secret chili recipe using only the highest quality ingredients: 96% Fat Free Beef Chuck, Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, Bermuda Onions, and 100% Semolina Wheat Spaghetti. He passed the recipe down to his sons — George, Chris, Panny and Spiros — who continue to serve the delicious and nutritious chili Nick served back in 1929, fresh from the kettle, everyday.

...Russ

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7399
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 09/2/13 8:18 PM (permalink)
              Russ Jackson

If you are doing a Chili Crawl in the Cincy area you really have to cross the river and hit Dixie Chili. http://www.dixiechili.com/

If you have never been there I think it is the best in the area for its type and I have eaten Camp Washington, Blue Ash, Price Hill and all the others. 

Founded in 1929 by Nicholas D. Sarakatsannis, Dixie Chili set the standard for quality food at reasonable prices. "Papa Nick" developed his secret chili recipe using only the highest quality ingredients: 96% Fat Free Beef Chuck, Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, Bermuda Onions, and 100% Semolina Wheat Spaghetti. He passed the recipe down to his sons — George, Chris, Panny and Spiros — who continue to serve the delicious and nutritious chili Nick served back in 1929, fresh from the kettle, everyday.

...Russ

I did enjoy Dixie Chili, however my favorite is still Blue Ash Chili
              I still wish I could make this tour  - the Spring is just going to be way to busy for us. 

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 09/4/13 7:37 PM (permalink)
                wanderingjew

Russ Jackson

...Russ

I did enjoy Dixie Chili, however my favorite is still Blue Ash Chili
                I still wish I could make this tour  - the Spring is just going to be way to busy for us. 

US????

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 09/4/13 7:38 PM (permalink)
                  Russ

When we did the tour 5 years ago we started with dixie chili, we can always add it to the list I was just going with the ones that we hadnt been to yet.

Big_g

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 10/28/13 6:29 PM (permalink)
                    Thats not a bad drive from E. TN...may try to make it depending on the dates.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 10/30/13 9:05 PM (permalink)
                      Cincy is 1 of my favorite cities to visit, I'm all over this. Camp Washington is my favorite.

I think we should make Izzy's one of the stops too, not for chili but for corned beef or pastrami. Or both!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
                        Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 10/30/13 9:30 PM (permalink)
                        Cincinnati has corned beef and pastrami?  Well......I'm definitely going now.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                          Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 10/30/13 9:45 PM (permalink)
                          I think you'll like Rascal's (fairly near the original blue ash chili location) better than Izzy's

Lisa, I can't imagine you'll find better pastrami or corned beef here in Cincinnati than you can get at http://dreamingofthenextb...rs-deli-columbus-ohio/ (not that I am claiming that it the best in Columbus, rather its just the only one I have heard of)
                          <message edited by TJ Jackson on Wed, 10/30/13 10:09 PM>

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
                            Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Thu, 10/31/13 12:30 PM (permalink)
                            TJ Jackson

There are four (3 locals, one Chicagoan) who have met me, but naturally, they are reluctant to admit it, and honestly now -- who could blame them?

.....and I once spoke to the legendary Cheesewit (whose posts got me started here) on the phone

I can confirm that TJ is indeed  real, but he was gone after a 2 sentence exchange of greetings much like Batman the Dark Knight.
                            Hahahahaha.

It's been 4 years since I've seen BB's glorious mug in person? Jeebus!

And , of course, I;m in to eat the vile filth of a foodstuff known as Cincinnati Chili.
                            And LOTS of it.

Yum-O.

:)

<message edited by jjjrfoodie on Thu, 10/31/13 12:32 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Thu, 10/31/13 12:57 PM (permalink)
                              Big_g

Excellent!  I hope you can make it.  You would be a fine addition to the group.

lleechef

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Thu, 10/31/13 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                TJ Jackson

I think you'll like Rascal's (fairly near the original blue ash chili location) better than Izzy's

Lisa, I can't imagine you'll find better pastrami or corned beef here in Cincinnati than you can get at http://dreamingofthenextb...rs-deli-columbus-ohio/ (not that I am claiming that it the best in Columbus, rather its just the only one I have heard of)

Oh yes, I have been to Katzinger's!  The past two times PP was driving through Columbus we ended up there for lunch.  Love their pastrami and the all-you-can eat Kosher dill pickles out of the barrel!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sat, 11/2/13 10:57 PM (permalink)
                                  OK folks time to think of a weekend for this wonderful event to take place.

Let me here your ideas.  Valentine's wknd & President Day Wknd are out, but anything else at this point might work.

rneiner

• Total Posts: 87
                                    Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                    I used to live in Dayton love Cincy chile and have not been on any tour's yet---I am in.

Can't wIt to meet everyone! !!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2375
                                      • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                      Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 8:11 AM (permalink)
                                      CajunKing - How does the start of March work? The 1st or the 8th?

Big_g

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                        buffetbuster

Big_g

Excellent!  I hope you can make it.  You would be a fine addition to the group.

Thanks BB....I promise to leave my cold at home this time =)

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                                          Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 12:10 PM (permalink)
                                          I've been back to Cincinnati but three times since graduating from UC in 1968. But I did stop for Cincinnati Chili off the freeway my last RV drive through a few years ago.

We will be in Indiana most of the month of May starting with the inaugural Indianapolis Grand Prix Indy Car race, then an RV.net B camper van Rally at Lake Monroe and then the Indy 500.

During my 6 years in Cincinnati chili really hadn't taken hold as a signature food. I don't recall ever having it back then. Maybe all that rotgut 3.2 beer they had back then clouded my brain.

buffetbuster

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                            I would prefer to avoid February all together, for weather reasons and because that is when Cousin Johnny and I will be making our annual trip.

Anytime in March will work for me, although there is no guarantee the weather will be better.
                                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 11/4/13 7:21 AM>

lleechef

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                              Anytime in March is good for us. 

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                                I am looking at March 8th.

Baseball season will have not started yet, weather can be decent usually
                                                Lent will have just begun.

The cyclones play saturday night at 7:30pm

What do you all think?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                                                  Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 11/3/13 3:19 PM (permalink)
                                                  We can make the long drive at that time.

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
                                                    • Location: Overland Park, KS
                                                    Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 11/4/13 7:15 AM (permalink)
                                                    I was kind of hoping it would be later in the Spring. Is late April/Early May a possibility?

CNW

ChiBears15

• Total Posts: 75
                                                      Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 11/11/13 11:32 PM (permalink)
                                                      March 8th works fine for me, and any weekend in April/May would be okay as well.  Let's work on setting an official date... 

-Danny

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                                        Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Tue, 11/12/13 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                                        Russ Jackson

...Russ

I think one of the things that stands out about Dixie is the quality of the beans -- plump, meaty, done but not mushy.

You can get a six-way there: Five way with chopped fresh garlic.

buffetbuster

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Tue, 11/12/13 10:03 AM (permalink)
                                                          jmckee-
                                                          Interesting!  The 6-way at Blue Ash Chili is with jalapeno slices.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
                                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Tue, 11/12/13 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                                            Depending on how we recover from the Savannah/JAX Glee Club Session, we might be able to join the fun..commuting from Louisville.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 23, messages 31 to 60 of 682

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com