The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Project I've been working on (pizza content)

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
Project I've been working on (pizza content) Sun, 09/8/13 9:29 PM (permalink)
My brother and his girlfriend decided a few months ago they were going to quit their jobs and open a restaurant, and they committed to doing just that. I've been spending weekends helping renovate the space and clean it up, and finally today we fired up the pizza ovens and cooked our first batch of pies.

(not me in the pictures)

They hired a guy with 20 years experience making pizza, and he hit it out of the park first shot. Super thin crust, great sauce, the right amount of cheese. We gave away at least 10 pizzas worth of slices today to people passing by. A family from out of state happened to walk in thinking we were open just as the very first pie came out, and they ate the whole thing, and came back later for another one to take with them. I think that's a pretty good sign.

The other part of the restaurant is an Italian grill, with a wonderful chef who put together a great menu... the traditional dishes like spaghetti and meatballs, with some other tasty dishes thrown in like salmon piccata, pork saltimbocca, a cioppino, some ridiculously good cheese ravioli in a brandy gorgonzola cream sauce with pistachios and shallots.

We've been working very hard for weeks to put it together, and proud of what's been accomplished so far. Doing a soft opening middle of the week this week, and while I'm not down there I'm working on the website and social media to get a buzz going. I'm going to be working weekends making pizza and chicken wings (learning how to toss a pie, it isn't anywhere as easy as it looks), and I couldn't be more excited. Had to share!

It's called Nina's, in downtown Oneonta, NY. If you're in the area, please stop by!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2366
    Re:Project I've been working on (pizza content) Sun, 09/8/13 9:44 PM (permalink)
    That looks really good.  Good luck with your restaurant.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
      Re:Project I've been working on (pizza content) Mon, 09/9/13 8:34 AM (permalink)
      Good luck to them and you.  They made the right decision to bring in experienced kitchen personnel.

So is this any particular "style" of pizza?

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
        Re:Project I've been working on (pizza content) Mon, 09/9/13 9:57 AM (permalink)
        Thanks! It's neapolitan style, not sure if it qualifies to be called 100% neapolitan or not though. The crust is super thin and quite crispy, standard pie is about 18".

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com