Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A Line That has to be Drawn

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50
Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Fri, 09/13/13 5:08 PM (permalink)
The Monte Cristos made at most of the Greek-owned family restaurant/coffee shops in and around Chicago are basically ham, turkey and cheese on French toast. I prefer the whole-thing-dipped version, thought I must admit it's getting harder to get one of those entire bombs down these days.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
    Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Fri, 09/13/13 5:29 PM (permalink)
    What I really  hate is when they serve a Monte Cristo open faced

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
      Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Fri, 09/13/13 7:17 PM (permalink)
      This topic caused me to start thinking, and I hope it is not too far off topic.  Schwabl's here in Buffalo serves an outstanding beef on weck sandwich, which many Roadfooders have had the pleasure of eating.  Beef on weck is a Buffalo tradition, and Schwabl's has one of the best offerings.  Yet they also offer roast beef on white bread with gravy, and that is also a very good meal.  In some ways it has some advantages over the beef on weck because the meet is thicker than other restaurants' offerings.  It can be a challenge to eat the  beef on weck, but the hot andwich with gravy is easier with the knife and fork.

Anyway, is Anderson's getting away from its specialty by offering the hot sandwich, which you can find anywhere else in the country?  Should they stay with beef on weck only?  I suppose this is not a major point.  I doubt you will find Steve's Prince of Steaks offering a Steak-ums on white bread sandwich, to make another example.  And Schwabl's hot not decided to offer a chicken wing on weck sandwich.  Now that would be challenging...

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Fri, 09/13/13 7:41 PM (permalink)
        All I know is the version of a Monte Christo from the 70s. All I know is a club sandwich from the 60s. And I know Welsh Rarebit( not rabbit) from the 50s. Just wish I could get the versions I enjoyed.........

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 322
          Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Fri, 09/13/13 9:43 PM (permalink)
          Buffalo Tarheel

Anyway, is Anderson's getting away from its specialty by offering the hot sandwich, which you can find anywhere else in the country?  Should they stay with beef on weck only?  I suppose this is not a major point. 

Not a major point, but an interesting concept - are they gaining more by offering the hot open face beef sandwich at the expense of the more famous dish?  I suppose if you subscribe to the idea that they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't making a buck, the answer would be easy.  My guess is that they wouldn't be offering the hot beef sandwich if there wasn't a market.  But that still doesn't answer the question of whether the beef on weck is any the worse for it.  Is it this kind of Plain-Jane competition that hastens the demise of classic-type sandwiches?  I don't know, but my guess is that true classics like the BOW can handle a little competition.
          <message edited by Treetop Tom on Fri, 09/13/13 10:08 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9587
            Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Sat, 09/14/13 2:58 AM (permalink)
            Michael Hoffman

I've never heard of deep frying a Monte Cristo.

Replace the Batteries in your Hearing Aids!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9587
              Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Sat, 09/14/13 3:02 AM (permalink)
              Buffalo Tarheel

This topic caused me to start thinking, and I hope it is not too far off topic.  Schwabl's here in Buffalo serves an outstanding beef on weck sandwich, which many Roadfooders have had the pleasure of eating.  Beef on weck is a Buffalo tradition, and Schwabl's has one of the best offerings.  Yet they also offer roast beef on white bread with gravy, and that is also a very good meal.  In some ways it has some advantages over the beef on weck because the meet is thicker than other restaurants' offerings.  It can be a challenge to eat the  beef on weck, but the hot andwich with gravy is easier with the knife and fork.

Anyway, is Anderson's getting away from its specialty by offering the hot sandwich, which you can find anywhere else in the country?  Should they stay with beef on weck only?  I suppose this is not a major point.  I doubt you will find Steve's Prince of Steaks offering a Steak-ums on white bread sandwich, to make another example.  And Schwabl's hot not decided to offer a chicken wing on weck sandwich.  Now that would be challenging...

Boneless Wings on a Weck! Now THAT Sounds Interesting!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
                Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Sat, 09/14/13 11:22 AM (permalink)
                Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

I've never heard of deep frying a Monte Cristo.

Replace the Batteries in your Hearing Aids!

Considering the fact that a Monte Cristo is supposed to be fried in a skillet or on a flattop then it is clear that when someone puts a battered sandwich in a deep fryer what comes out of said fryer is something other than a Monte Cristo.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                  Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Sat, 09/14/13 12:09 PM (permalink)
                  [This post was marked as helpful]
                  Having worked at a lot of diners over the years, I feel qualified to answers the Monte Christo question. In the 70's a Monte Christo was always ham, turkey, American and Swiss cheese, dipped in French toast batter, fried, dusted with powdered sugar, and served with currant jelly. I have seen it made lately by cooking the French toast and then assembling the rest of the ingredients. I don't consider this to be a true representation of the classic but a poor imitation... 

David O.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
                    Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Sat, 09/14/13 12:22 PM (permalink)
                    boyardee65

Having worked at a lot of diners over the years, I feel qualified to answers the Monte Christo question. In the 70's a Monte Christo was always ham, turkey, American and Swiss cheese, dipped in French toast batter, fried, dusted with powdered sugar, and served with currant jelly. I have seen it made lately by cooking the French toast and then assembling the rest of the ingredients. I don't consider this to be a true representation of the classic but a poor imitation... 

David O.

David, well said........I think they do this to save time, not caring about quality.......The problem with doing it right is, you have to grill both flat sides of the sandwich, then turn on it side and brown all four sides.......takes time, it's a pain in the butt..................I had a sandwich on my menu, triple decker club using egg bread, crust cut off, ham, swiss, turkey and american cheese. I then dipped it in egg batter, then into seasoned bread crumbs. We then deep fried it until golden brown..........The outside was not greasy, it had a nice crunch with a hot cheesy inside......The chicks loved it.....................pnwc

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
                      Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Mon, 09/16/13 2:29 PM (permalink)
                      Treetop Tom

a Reuben can be made with either corned beef or pastrami (or amongst some scofflaws, even turkey, substituting slaw for kraut [sometimes referred to as a Rachel]). 

In my neck of the woods a Reuben made with turkey would be called a turkey sandwich.  And likely thrown back at the kitchen.  That's just blasphemy.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                        Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Mon, 09/16/13 3:27 PM (permalink)
                        WarToad

In my neck of the woods a Reuben made with turkey would be called a turkey sandwich.  And likely thrown back at the kitchen.  That's just blasphemy.

That's the same way I feel about a so-called chicken cheesesteak. There ain't no such critter.

The Monk

• Total Posts: 9
                          Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Mon, 09/16/13 3:28 PM (permalink)
                          Well, maybe you should be required to use quotations to delineate one from the original. For example, a "Reuben" made with pastrami from a Reuben made with corned beef!!! Only trying to help. 

Michael Hoffman

Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Mon, 09/16/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
                            If it isn't corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and thousand Islands dressing on rye, grilled, then it isn't a Reuben.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                              Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Tue, 09/17/13 4:58 PM (permalink)
                              Isn't a Pastrami a "Hot Pastrami" or has that disappeared from the lexicon too?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Tue, 09/17/13 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                Isn't a Pastrami a "Hot Pastrami" or has that disappeared from the lexicon too?

Michael Hoffman

Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Tue, 09/17/13 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                  I don't know. I always order a hot pastrami sandwich. I don't recall whether it was ever Hot Pastrami on a menu. Hot Pastrami was what my father and grandfather ordered, and I guess that's where I got it.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1598
                                    Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Tue, 09/17/13 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                    And don't get me started on all the faux Martinis out there!

Michael Hoffman

Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Tue, 09/17/13 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                      There are no faux Martinis. There are Martinis and there are other drinks.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                        Re:A Line That has to be Drawn Tue, 09/17/13 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                        Monte Cristo is way over the line in my Dept. of Donuts...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com