The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS"

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9587
The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/19/13 10:32 PM (permalink)
HERE'S 20 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE BLOOD SPORT:
http://izismile.com/2013/09/05/facts_for_football_fans_20_pics.html
I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE ORIGIN OF THE HUDDLE. DIDN'T KNOW THAT!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
    Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Fri, 09/20/13 9:33 AM (permalink)
    Probably because I lived in Metro DC for years I knew the huddle was invented at Gallaudet University for the Deaf. 

The "huddle" question was on Jeopardy recently.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
      Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Fri, 09/20/13 10:33 AM (permalink)
      Those are some neat facts, many of which I did not know, especially about the huddle.  A saying we used to have when I played rugby was:

Soccer is a game of gentlemen played by gentlemen
      Rugby is a game of brutes played by gentlemen
      Football is a game of brutes played by brutes

I predict rugby 7's will be a huge hit after it is "introduced" in the next Olympics.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
        Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Fri, 09/20/13 1:44 PM (permalink)
        What I want to know is why, with the bit about Georgia Tech clobbering Cumberland they used a picture of Slingin' Sammy Baugh of the Washington Redskins.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
          Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Fri, 09/20/13 2:24 PM (permalink)
          The fifth "F" goes to the author who apparently overlooked the fact that there were two Dallas Texans franchises that played pro football.

But that's understandable, seeing as how the story is about football.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
            Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/26/13 1:10 PM (permalink)
            Football is one of two American pasttimes represented in the murals adorning the ceiling of the Library of Congress's Jefferson Building, opened in 1897. The other sport is baseball.

Why football in 1897? Although baseball was/is/was the national pasttime, football was a sport played in the colleges. The placement of a mural depicting an activity occuring in American colleges in the Library, a place of academic learning and understanding, seemed appropriate.

But, too keep in congruency with the other art (murals, mozaics, sculptures) in the building, the players are depicted as (naked)classical Greek figures.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
              Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/26/13 1:48 PM (permalink)
              I suspect that Venus de Milo is not lined up as a wide receiver...because the forward pass wasn't legal in 1897.
              <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Thu, 09/26/13 1:50 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/26/13 3:43 PM (permalink)
                Scorereader

Football is one of two American pasttimes represented in the murals adorning the ceiling of the Library of Congress's Jefferson Building, opened in 1897. The other sport is baseball.

Why football in 1897? Although baseball was/is/was the national pasttime, football was a sport played in the colleges. The placement of a mural depicting an activity occuring in American colleges in the Library, a place of academic learning and understanding, seemed appropriate.

But, too keep in congruency with the other art (murals, mozaics, sculptures) in the building, the players are depicted as (naked)classical Greek figures.

As it happens, that's how we played football back then. None of that padding or helmets, or even restrictive clothing for us. It was a mans game then. And we were men.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/26/13 8:03 PM (permalink)
                  Earl of Sandwich

Those are some neat facts, many of which I did not know, especially about the huddle.  A saying we used to have when I played rugby was:

Soccer is a game of gentlemen played by gentlemen
                  Rugby is a game of brutes played by gentlemen
                  Football is a game of brutes played by brutes

I predict rugby 7's will be a huge hit after it is "introduced" in the next Olympics.

I love me some rugby 7s, I wish it was around back when I was in HS/COL I would love to have played.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/26/13 8:05 PM (permalink)
                    Michael Hoffman

Scorereader

As it happens, that's how we played football back then. None of that padding or helmets, or even restrictive clothing for us. It was a mans game then. And we were men.

I AM BLINDDDDD by the mental image!!!!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                      Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/26/13 9:04 PM (permalink)
                      And just where are these depictions of NAKED FOOTBALL PLAYERS THAT LOOK LIKE CLASSICAL GREEK FIGURES????????  Inquiring female minds really want to know. 

Michael Hoffman

Re:The 4 "F's" - FACTS FOR FOOTBALL FANS" Thu, 09/26/13 9:31 PM (permalink)
                        Well ........

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com