The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 1:09 PM (permalink)
I love a good Martini and a fan of Bombay. I also like Seagrams Extra Dry for a budget Martini. I try new stuff periodically. Recently I tried a Gin made in Columbus Ohio called Watershed and was not impressed at all. http://www.watersheddistillery.com/  

My Brother gave me a bottle of Death’s Door Gin. 

I found it to be excellent. And it makes a great Dirty Martini....Russ
http://deathsdoorspirits.com/home.php

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
    Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 2:20 PM (permalink)
    Like my late dad before me, I prefer Tanqueray gin. Although my second choice would be Bombay. Other than a well made Martini, I enjoy my Tanqueray on the rocks in a large tumbler with a light splash of Rose's Lime Juice and a good splash of tonic water. Very refreshing! Sometimes, I'll replace the Rose's lime juice with a light splash of Peychaud's aromatic cocktail bitters.

Twinwillow

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 2:21 PM (permalink)
      Btw, great topic. I'm eager to read other's comments.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
        Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 2:32 PM (permalink)
        I am also a gin drinker. I have found that the tonic I use regardless of the brand is inadequate. I recently learned of a tonic concentrate that you mix with club soda in very small amounts. It's called Jack Rudy Small Batch tonic and it's sold at Spec's here in Austin. I prefer Bombay but will drink Tanqueray when it's offered. Too bad some of the medication I take conflicts with grapefruit juice since I always loved a good Salty Dog.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
          Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 2:32 PM (permalink)
          I so wanted to love the Watershed Bourbon Barrel Gin and I just didn't.  I got a bottle for my father for Christmas last year and was excited to have him try it.  He took a sip and looked at me and said, "I'm sorry but I just don't like it."  I was disappointed so I thought that maybe I would just take it home but then I tried it and wholeheartedly agreed with him.  It was just bad.  I think they tried to get too cute with their 7 carefully selected botanicals and it did not pay off.

I don't buy gin often, so I usually just get Tanqueray.

brisketboy

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 2:37 PM (permalink)
            It's funny but when I stay in Plymouth in the UK my hotel is just up the hill from the Plymouth Gin distillery. Took a tour there once and had a tasting it was also not very good. But they were sure proud of it.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
              Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 2:44 PM (permalink)
              Once got sick on Gin & Tonic 40 years ago and even today the scent makes me queasy.  Sure was good going down, though!

brisketboy

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 2:47 PM (permalink)
                jackrudycocktailco.com

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                  Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 3:01 PM (permalink)

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                    Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 3:07 PM (permalink)
                    Bombay Sapphire for me!

Dipstick

• Total Posts: 337
                      Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 3:08 PM (permalink)
                      I too love Tanqueray and am looking forward to trying out the lime juice and bitters ideas. One thing I have noticed about some gins (primarily Beefeater and Boodles) is that that have an almost oily quality about them. I enjoy a crisper finish.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                        Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 3:20 PM (permalink)
                        Twinwillow

Other than a well made Martini, I enjoy my Tanqueray on the rocks in a large tumbler with a light splash of Rose's Lime Juice and a good splash of tonic water. Very refreshing!

Sounds almost like a Gimlet to me.

<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Mon, 09/23/13 3:22 PM>

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                          Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
                          Here is a pretty good review I found on it:
                          Death’s Door Gin comes from Death’s Door Spirits, a relatively new outfit based in Madison, Wisconsin. The company produces a vodka and white whiskey in addition to the gin.
                          Distilled in small batches from local red winter wheat, Death’s Door Gin is unique as far as gins go, in that it’s comprised of just three botanicals – juniper berries, coriander and fennel seeds. And they’re all organic, if you’re into that sort of thing.
                          Death’s Door Gin has a light aroma of juniper that’s somewhat muted by an initial hit of alcohol. Some fennel notes are present as well, folded neatly into the background. Take a sip and taste bright juniper, dry citrus and tons of spice. It’s really peppery on the tongue, but the spice moves toward a cooling hit of mint. Coriander comes through noticeably, with the fennel mostly taking a backseat. It finishes long and dry with more of that spicy bite.
                          Death’s Door Gin is a good example of what happens when you don’t muddle a gin’s flavors with 10-15 botanicals. It’s clean and very flavor-forward. Nicely done, Wisconsin. You’re now on our radar for more than just beer and cheese.

...Russ

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                            Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 4:05 PM (permalink)
                            We also have Yahara Bay, which is within walking distance of my office.  I'm not a big gin fan but I see that Death's Door offers an unaged whiskey.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 8:19 PM (permalink)
                              Gin makes me mean........! Mom had one gin martini a week and was saint. But it was a big one! Bombay Sapphire-she would have liked the new ones on the market...

Twinwillow

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                Michael Hoffman

Twinwillow

Other than a well made Martini, I enjoy my Tanqueray on the rocks in a large tumbler with a light splash of Rose's Lime Juice and a good splash of tonic water. Very refreshing!

Michael, correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the only difference between a Gimlet and a 
                                Martini using cocktail onions in a gimlet instead of olives in a Martini?

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2370
                                  Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                  Twinwillow - That's a Gibson you are describing.

I haven't tried Death's Door Gin, but have bought Rehorst Gin after a tour of Great Lakes Distillery in Milwaukee. They use 9 botanicals in their gin, but are lighter on the juniper than I prefer.

Twinwillow

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                    JRPfeff

Twinwillow - That's a Gibson you are describing.

I haven't tried Death's Door Gin, but have bought Rehorst Gin after a tour of Great Lakes Distillery in Milwaukee. They use 9 botanicals in their gin, but are lighter on the juniper than I prefer.

Thanks. I didn't realize that.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                                      Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 10:27 PM (permalink)
                                      Not a Gimlet.  I don't think Gimlets have tonic in them.

It's a great gin and tonic.

Twinwillow

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 11:10 PM (permalink)
                                        mar52

Thanks, Mar for reinforcing my description of what I think of as a "Gimlet". A Martini with cocktail onions instead of olives. 

Twinwillow

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Mon, 09/23/13 11:13 PM (permalink)
                                          I'm so confused now. 

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                                            Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Tue, 09/24/13 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                            There's no tonic in a gimlet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimlet_(cocktail)

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
                                              Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Tue, 09/24/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                              And....If you make your Gibson with Scotch....wait for it.....You call it a HOOT GIBSON...

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                                                Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Tue, 09/24/13 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                                Great thread

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                                                  Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Tue, 09/24/13 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                                  Great thread

Michael Hoffman

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Tue, 09/24/13 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                                    Twinwillow

Michael Hoffman

Twinwillow

Michael, correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the only difference between a Gimlet and a 
                                                    Martini using cocktail onions in a gimlet instead of olives in a Martini?

With onions it's a Gibson.

Michael Hoffman

Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Tue, 09/24/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                                      mar52

Gimlets don't have tonic. I said almost.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2370
                                                        • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                        Re:If you are a Gin Drinker I give this a thumbs up! Fri, 10/18/13 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                                        brisketboy

I am also a gin drinker. I have found that the tonic I use regardless of the brand is inadequate. I recently learned of a tonic concentrate that you mix with club soda in very small amounts. It's called Jack Rudy Small Batch tonic and it's sold at Spec's here in Austin. I prefer Bombay but will drink Tanqueray when it's offered. Too bad some of the medication I take conflicts with grapefruit juice since I always loved a good Salty Dog.

I found Jack Rudy's tonic concentrate at my grocery store. It seemed pricy, but I bought it anyway.

I first used it with bottled club soda and was not impressed by Rudy's concentrate. I have since fired up my soda siphon and used that with Rudy's and Tanqueray in my G&T. EXCELLENT!

Thanks for the tip brisketboy.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com