The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater

Jasper1

• Total Posts: 51
Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater Mon, 09/23/13 5:12 PM (permalink)
I'm having a 16ft trailer built at Wells Cargo and am thinking about using a tankless water heater like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/140922282045?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ans wanting to know if it's better to use a standard tank water heater or one of these.
I know with a tankless heater then I will need to have an exhaust built into the trailer. And I don't think I'd need that for a tank heater.
The only thing I'd be cleaning is ice cream scoops and utensils and maybe a 5 liter pan once a day. So that's why I thought of tankless since the hot water would only be turned on rarely to clean and to was my hands.
It's a Gelato trailer so nothing is on propane unless I do a conversion to my 4.5kw Yamaha gas generator.
The charge is $360 for Wells Cargo to install two 30 pound tanks and all plumbing and this would run the water.

<message edited by Jasper1 on Mon, 09/23/13 5:28 PM>

Pacmob

• Total Posts: 16
    Re:Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater Mon, 09/23/13 5:48 PM (permalink)
    Hehe, I can answer this one to!

Go google Eccotemp L10 should be a shopping link for Global Industrial pop up.

Costs about the same, way better quality, and designed to exterior mounted so you skirt around interior tankless water heater regulations.

I have installed probably half a dozen of those things and they are pretty sturdy little units. Add in we only use Shurflo 3.3GPM 120V park model pumps, and the pressure needs of the water heater match the pump.

One thing to be noted, tankless water heaters need a certain amount of continual water pressure, and can get angry if they don't have it and will not function correct. Typically when doing a tankless we will use the norm shurflo pump, add a accumulator tank in the line, then put the water heater in. Works great never had any complaints.

Jasper1

Re:Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater Mon, 09/23/13 7:30 PM (permalink)
      OK, please fly here and install my system :)
      I'm totally new to all this and kind winging it. I'm hoping Wells Cargo knows a lot more than I do and can make decisions for me since I don't know what the heck I'm doing :)

Thanks, you say exterior mounted. Does that mean on the roof and have plumbing holes going into the trailer?
      Thanks
      <message edited by Jasper1 on Mon, 09/23/13 7:32 PM>

Pacmob

• Total Posts: 16
        Re:Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater Mon, 09/23/13 10:17 PM (permalink)
        On the sides or back or front of the trailer, back or front is preferable, back is best.

Wells Cargo is good at taking peoples money, as far as designing a efficient kitchen not so much. I have 3 years in the food truck industry, 17 years in construction and culinary.

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
          Re:Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater Tue, 09/24/13 12:54 AM (permalink)
          Ask your HD if you can have a tank less,I know a guy that told me he had to install a tanked heater because the HD said no to a tank less.

Jasper1

Re:Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater Tue, 09/24/13 1:21 AM (permalink)
            Thanks, hopefully Well Cargo can build to my standard.
            And the health department said no problem on tankless water heater. I even asked if it was okay to not use a NSF one because I saw NSF for $600 and non NSF for $200 and they said no problem at all.
            They seem really cool a and easy going as long as it's sanitary and safe for whatever your building.

Curb Hopper

• Total Posts: 86
              Re:Hot water heater or propane tankless water heater Tue, 09/24/13 11:11 AM (permalink)
              Problem I have with the L10 is that I wouldn't want it on the outside of my truck. Even boxed in, I wouldn't want it protruding. For other applications it can be an easy choice.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com