The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Costco warning!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
Costco warning! Thu, 09/26/13 3:03 PM (permalink)
I love Costco, that said, they sometimes drop the ball, BIGTIME! Kinders Tri Tip Steak Sandwiches, a nasty item I bought today, consists of maybe 1 oz. of meat on a crummy roll with tasteless BBQ sauce and melted Chedder cheese, they are very cheap, $12.69 for 6, they should be cheap, as bad as they are...maybe my 9 Feral cats will like them, probably not!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
    Re:Costco warning! Thu, 09/26/13 3:10 PM (permalink)
    The highly touted black bean burgers from Costco (Touted by a radio food personality)
    are also not edible.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
      Re:Costco warning! Thu, 09/26/13 3:44 PM (permalink)
      Buy some Provolone, salami, and a good crusty bread and make your oven sandwich. Wrap it in foil, pop it in the over for 15 min.............You may even know someone who owns a restaurant, they may have some brisket. Slice it, pile it high and have it with a cold beer. You may even have a shot of whiskey, I figure Michael brought over some cheap whiskey and drank all your good stuff............your killing me buddy..........
      <message edited by pnwchef on Thu, 09/26/13 3:46 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
        Re:Costco warning! Thu, 09/26/13 3:45 PM (permalink)
        Ship them here. Our (currently) four feral cats will probably love them.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
          Re:Costco warning! Thu, 09/26/13 4:22 PM (permalink)
          chewingthefat

I love Costco, that said, they sometimes drop the ball, BIGTIME! Kinders Tri Tip Steak Sandwiches, a nasty item I bought today, consists of maybe 1 oz. of meat on a crummy roll with tasteless BBQ sauce and melted Chedder cheese, they are very cheap, $12.69 for 6, they should be cheap, as bad as they are...maybe my 9 Feral cats will like them, probably not!

Yeah I got suckered in on them as well........much ado about nothing

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
            Re:Costco warning! Thu, 09/26/13 8:58 PM (permalink)
            pnwchef

Buy some Provolone, salami, and a good crusty bread and make your oven sandwich. Wrap it in foil, pop it in the over for 15 min.............You may even know someone who owns a restaurant, they may have some brisket. Slice it, pile it high and have it with a cold beer. You may even have a shot of whiskey, I figure Michael brought over some cheap whiskey and drank all your good stuff............your killing me buddy..........

AMEN, chef!!!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Costco warning! Fri, 09/27/13 1:12 AM (permalink)
              I can't recall the Brand name for the racks of ribs buried in a big glob og sauce (already cooked--just heat and serve)... I think they are "CURLY'S", but may be in error... They are very Bad, sauce-soaked and mushy beyond any possible curing.

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 321
                Re:Costco warning! Fri, 09/27/13 2:59 PM (permalink)
                Had a similar experience with the frozen sandwiches carrying the Tony Luke's brand name.  Should've known better.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Costco warning! Fri, 09/27/13 3:31 PM (permalink)
                  One the other hand, Our store is carrying a 'Sourdough Chip' (think melba toast crisps) with garlic and Parmesean Cheese flavoring, in the chips and crackers area. Those 'Chips' with a bit of Liverwurst on them are unbelieveably good !

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                    Re:Costco warning! Fri, 09/27/13 5:13 PM (permalink)
                    mayor al

I can't recall the Brand name for the racks of ribs buried in a big glob og sauce (already cooked--just heat and serve)... I think they are "CURLY'S", but may be in error... They are very Bad, sauce-soaked and mushy beyond any possible curing.

Curly's shredded pork BBQ is available nationwide thru many stores and is not bad at all - I have only had their sauced version - never had their ribs.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                      Re:Costco warning! Fri, 09/27/13 11:35 PM (permalink)
                      There is also a Curly's dry rub BBR. About $10 for a 14oz serving. They are pretty good.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                        Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 9:14 AM (permalink)
                        mar52

The highly touted black bean burgers from Costco (Touted by a radio food personality)
                        are also not edible.

Bean, no matter the color,  and burger, words that should not even be mentioned in the same breath.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 11:36 AM (permalink)
                          Yesterday the 4- one lb pkg of Kirkland Regular Bacon jumped in price to over $15.00. Glad we bought 4 pkg a week ago.

chewingthefat

Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 12:21 PM (permalink)
                            mayor al

Yesterday the 4- one lb pkg of Kirkland Regular Bacon jumped in price to over $15.00. Glad we bought 4 pkg a week ago.

Yesterday I got a big supply, for home use, of "Burghers Smokehouse" City Bacon, Hog Jowl, and 1 3/4 oz. med spice Sausage patties, I won't mention the cost!

lleechef

Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 12:55 PM (permalink)
                              mayor al

I thought you made your own??

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                chewingthefat

mayor al

Yesterday I got a big supply, for home use, of "Burghers Smokehouse" City Bacon, Hog Jowl, and 1 3/4 oz. med spice Sausage patties, I won't mention the cost!

I was looking in the Burger's catalog the other day. The cost you won't mention is, um, not exactly supermarket style.

FriedClamFanatic

Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                  Burgers is not cheap......but "on sale" is reasonable given you don't have to drive anywhere.and their thick cut bacon and hog jowl are hard to duplicate in my area unless I want to drive 40-50 miles...............or order a full slab of bacon (which I won't know the leaness of until it arrives) 4-5 days in advance at my local butcher.at about the same price as Burgers. 

chewingthefat

Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                    Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

mayor al

I was looking in the Burger's catalog the other day. The cost you won't mention is, um, not exactly supermarket style.

So true, but lordy they have amazing products. Their Jowl is Bacon Crack!

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                      Lisa
                                      We made about 30 lbs of it from the Hogs last Fall, That was gone before Spring, and, Frankly we over-cured it by quite a bit (Salty). and gave up on using it independently as a meat.  it was fine as a wrap on things needing a fatty flavoring in cooking, but as Bacon and Eggs it did not do the job. (about 30% turned out that way. We learned after the first batch to tune-down the curing salt and increase the Brown Sugar.
                                      Here is one of the better attempts. 

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                        Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                        The fun thing-to me-is having a friend that belongs to Costco. Bob and I went there with Al and Janet-and Al and I had a wonderful trip there before the Glee Club meeting.I love this place. They have great things-and not so great-The Mayor and Janet know good and bad, as they have said.........

FriedClamFanatic

Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                          mayor al

Lisa
                                          We made about 30 lbs of it from the Hogs last Fall, That was gone before Spring, and, Frankly we over-cured it by quite a bit (Salty). and gave up on using it independently as a meat.  it was fine as a wrap on things needing a fatty flavoring in cooking, but as Bacon and Eggs it did not do the job. (about 30% turned out that way. We learned after the first batch to tune-down the curing salt and increase the Brown Sugar.
                                          Here is one of the better attempts. 

only one word..........YUM

to decrease the saltiness, you can try soaking for 8-12 hours, changing the water 2-3 times; pat dry, cut and cook

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                            • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                            Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                            chewingthefat

What a surprise.

As a rule, I do not buy prepared foods at Costco or any warehouse or grocer. I leave food preparation to restaurant professionals or do it myself with my family's assistance. Is there any good prepared food that you can buy frozen?

lleechef

Re:Costco warning! Sat, 09/28/13 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                              Al
                                              That bacon looks amazing! 

chewingthefat

Re:Costco warning! Sun, 09/29/13 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                                JRPfeff

chewingthefat

What a surprise.

As a rule, I do not buy prepared foods at Costco or any warehouse or grocer. I leave food preparation to restaurant professionals or do it myself with my family's assistance. Is there any good prepared food that you can buy frozen?

I like frozen White Castles nuked!...Good new topic??

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                                  • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                  Re:Costco warning! Sun, 09/29/13 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                                  I lied. I do enjoy the frozen pot stickers from TJ's.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
                                                    • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                    Re:Costco warning! Sun, 09/29/13 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    A big box of frozen taquitos can sometimes be found in my freezer.  Easy snack with tomatillo sauce.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                      Re:Costco warning! Sun, 09/29/13 6:25 PM (permalink)
                                                      Some frozen foods do manage to stand out from the crowd.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com