The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

1983 P30 rebuild

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 107
kapowtruck

• Total Posts: 121
1983 P30 rebuild Thu, 09/26/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
Hey gang,
As you can see I'm a new member here. Found the forum by researching Food Truck Build outs and ran into reese's Sammich lab.  I just purchase my truck last weekend  off a retiring couple and got a sweet deal on it. Just needs some sprucing up and my personality on it.  

First things first drop it off to my buddy's shop to get a tune and all the fluids flush and changed and install air lift suspension.
I'm looking to purchase will be a 6500w generator since it didn't come with one.Every one says Generac is one of the best besides Honda.
I'm looking to move my waste water underneath the truck to open up some space for storage.Then I want to put a new bigger concession window in with awning.
Then either painting and vinyl decals or wrapping the whole truck and propane tanks.

Cool thing about the truck is that the original owners already pass inspection and health code for All DE and Philadelphia PA! 
Here's the link for pics:  photobucket .com /user/ kapowtruck/ slideshow/
here's the facebook page: www. facebookbook .com / kapowtruck

Cheers,
~Thai Guy

<message edited by kapowtruck on Thu, 09/26/13 11:21 PM>

reese77

• Total Posts: 508
    Re:1983 P30 rebuild Thu, 09/26/13 10:56 PM (permalink)
    Sammich Lab... :)

You have to break up your link since you are a new member. I.e f l i c k r . c o m versus flickr.com

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Thu, 09/26/13 11:23 PM (permalink)
      thanks for the help and fixed my typo ;)

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 09/30/13 10:36 PM (permalink)
        Anybody know where i can find a roof top ac unit? There's nothing around my way.

thank
        ~Thai Guy

gonzojuice

• Total Posts: 87
          Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 10/1/13 12:18 AM (permalink)
          Yes. I ordered mine from the internet. An Atwood 12500. They did charge shipping so it ended up being closer to $700 but it installed very easily and blasts very coldly. It was the first thing I installed on my build and sure was glad I did.

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 223
            Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 10/1/13 1:51 AM (permalink)
            eBay. Amazon. Anything rv ac will get what you're looking for. Word has it there's a guy on here that mounted a mini split on his truck...30k btu. Works like charm. In south Florida. Just sayin'

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Wed, 10/2/13 12:52 AM (permalink)
              Awesome thanks for the info guys! Another question did any of you guys do a slide in slide out generator yet? I read that a few people were looking to do it, but those threads are a couple years old now. Again thanks for the help!

~Thai Guy

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 10/6/13 9:01 PM (permalink)
                Alright so my 83 Grumman didn't come equip from the factory with a radio , so I have been complicating where to mount one in this beast. The only thing I can think of is having a buddy frame a wood dash right above the engine hatch.  Anybody with older grumman p30 done this?

Rcoy

• Total Posts: 91
                  Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 10/6/13 10:17 PM (permalink)

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 10/6/13 10:34 PM (permalink)
                    Rcoy

This comes to mind.

Mmmm that looks like a fix! thanks!

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/7/13 5:32 PM (permalink)
                      Thinking about roof mounting this to add more light and security for my truck. What do you guys think? Or should I buy hardwired ones.
                      http:// www. amazon.com/  Maxsa-Solar-Powered-10-Hour-Floodlight/dp/B00432S99U/ref=sr_1_3?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1381181497&sr=1-3&keywords=solar+power+flood+light

reese77

• Total Posts: 508
                        Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/7/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
                        kapowtruck

Thinking about roof mounting this to add more light and security for my truck. What do you guys think? Or should I buy hardwired ones.
                        http:// www. amazon.com/  Maxsa-Solar-Powered-10-Hour-Floodlight/dp/B00432S99U/ref=sr_1_3?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1381181497&sr=1-3&keywords=solar+power+flood+light

Good idea. My flood lights are 12V and are wired to my AC to DC converter that all my truck's 12V appliances run off of.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/7/13 6:18 PM (permalink)
                          reese77

kapowtruck

Good idea. My flood lights are 12V and are wired to my AC to DC converter that all my truck's 12V appliances run off of.

Good thing about that you can switch them on and off. I don't think if I can do that with this solar ones.  Correction the on and off is on the light. I wonder if I could some how wire a manual switch?
                          <message edited by kapowtruck on Mon, 10/7/13 6:21 PM>

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/7/13 6:26 PM (permalink)
                            Oh Besides the lights another thing came to mind. Where are you  guys spare tires? The old owners had it inside the truck which take a lot of room.

gonzojuice

• Total Posts: 87
                              Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/7/13 9:13 PM (permalink)
                              My spare tire is in my wallet. It has AAA Plus written on it. To be fair though I'm totally full of crap since I haven't tried it yet, and I hear they won't do it. On top of that admission of silliness my generator is attached to the front so I guess if I break down or get a flat I'm bum outa luck. :-(

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Wed, 10/9/13 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                gonzojuice

My spare tire is in my wallet. It has AAA Plus written on it. To be fair though I'm totally full of crap since I haven't tried it yet, and I hear they won't do it. On top of that admission of silliness my generator is attached to the front so I guess if I break down or get a flat I'm bum outa luck. :-(

My genny is on the front now too. Good thing I have triple a also :).  

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Fri, 10/25/13 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                  Soooo just received some of my quotes back for wrapping my truck and the highest one out there was 5k! And its not even 3m vinyl. Makes me pondering if I should get a basic black paint job and add the vinyl decals

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:1983 P30 rebuild Fri, 10/25/13 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                    Welcome, I haven't read your entire thread but I promise I will. But that said this caught my eye(air lift suspension). Please do lots of photos and how to's, cost, etc as you go through that process.
                                    Thanks
                                    Jack
                                    Great photos in the food forum section.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Fri, 10/25/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                      Dr of BBQ

Welcome, I haven't read your entire thread but I promise I will. But that said this caught my eye(air lift suspension). Please do lots of photos and how to's, cost, etc as you go through that process.
                                      Thanks
                                      Jack
                                      Great photos in the food forum section.

Hey Jack!
                                       We had to put the air suspension on hold since we could not find  air struts/bags to handle our kitchen weight with in our budget. Right now I'm researching spring leaf helpers to get rid of the bounce I have on the cooking line.  

Thanks for the welcome and checking out my dishes in the food forum!

~Thai Guy

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Fri, 10/25/13 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                        Looks like I can finally post pics:
                                        Bought this Sept 21 2013 In the process of getting wrap quotes and install a a bigger service window.

Before I cleaned it all out

Afterwards should look similar to this mock my friend did. The second pic is the my truck in my friend's new zombie game Infected.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:1983 P30 rebuild Fri, 10/25/13 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                          kapowtruck

Hey Jack!
                                          We had to put the air suspension on hold since we could not find  air struts/bags to handle our kitchen weight with in our budget. Right now I'm researching spring leaf helpers to get rid of the bounce I have on the cooking line.  Thanks for the welcome and checking out my dishes in the food forum! ~Thai Guy

Do you have a brand name, link, or any information you may have saved from research you did on the air suspension system? I'd like to have my truck about 6 inches off the ground front and back.

Your P-30 has leaf springs front and back I assume same as mine? I'm going to a shop today or tomorrow to see how low I can drop my truck. So if plans go as expected I'm taking out a bunch of springs. I have like 17 under the back and 12 or 14 under the front. When do you get the bounce your talking about? Just walking in it or driving?
                                          Jack

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:1983 P30 rebuild Fri, 10/25/13 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                            By the way and this bit of information will surly get lost but for those of you cutting a hole in a SV the walls are 10 gauge. Which is pretty darn thick. And it doesn't take much to reinforce any hole you cut for a generator door or service window. They are extremely strong even after you take out a big section. In fact I may put in a 2nd window just for the extra light and additional air movement. I'll post some pictures of the first window instillation soon on my build thread.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 10/26/13 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                              Dr of BBQ

kapowtruck

Hey Jack!
                                              We had to put the air suspension on hold since we could not find  air struts/bags to handle our kitchen weight with in our budget. Right now I'm researching spring leaf helpers to get rid of the bounce I have on the cooking line.  Thanks for the welcome and checking out my dishes in the food forum! ~Thai Guy

Do you have a brand name, link, or any information you may have saved from research you did on the air suspension system? I'd like to have my truck about 6 inches off the ground front and back.

Your P-30 has leaf springs front and back I assume same as mine? I'm going to a shop today or tomorrow to see how low I can drop my truck. So if plans go as expected I'm taking out a bunch of springs. I have like 17 under the back and 12 or 14 under the front. When do you get the bounce your talking about? Just walking in it or driving?
                                              Jack

Hey Jack,
                                              Yes I do have leaf springs on the front and back.
                                              I'm getting a the bounce while walking in the truck and the swaying while driving on the highway around 60mph. I did find an anti sway bar for the p30. When I get back to DE on monday I'll look for the paper work I had it was similar to an airbag system that lower riders used but more heavy duty. It had a compressor, air tank, and air bag shocks. thanks for the info about the metal. That's good to know!

Sway bar jcwhitney.com/ anti-sway-bar-kit/ p2005923.jcwx?filterid=d50266y1983g731j1

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 10/26/13 8:46 PM (permalink)
                                                Oh also guys just coded most of my website! Let me know what you think please.

www.kapowtruck.com
                                                www.  kapowtruck.   com

kozyman

• Total Posts: 7
                                                  Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 10/26/13 8:52 PM (permalink)
                                                  Sharp website!!

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 10/26/13 10:56 PM (permalink)
                                                    kozyman

Sharp website!!

Thank you!

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 10/27/13 9:16 AM (permalink)
                                                      kapowtruck
                                                      Hey Jack,
                                                        I'm getting a the bounce while walking in the truck and the swaying while driving on the highway around 60mph. I did find an anti sway bar for the p30. When I get back to DE on monday I'll look for the paper work I had it was similar to an airbag system that lower riders used but more heavy duty. It had a compressor, air tank, and air bag shocks. thanks for the info about the metal. That's good to know!

Ok don't worry about the information on the air bags/shocks, I have already studied the low rider systems  and that's not what I want to do. The sway issue is a little worrisome as well as the bounce in just working the line. Something I'll need to guard against. I didn't make it to the shop yet but may do it Monday. I do have two thoughts though that you might want to give some thought to or not. LOL

1st. When I first started doing some local research into lowering my truck I started asking some friends that run a local mechanical shop/machine shop, and was surprised to find out there is a company in Decatur Illinois (30 miles away) called the Decatur Spring Company and that is all they do is springs for trucks/cars etc. So you may have some company in a short drive that is similar. I havn't contacted them yet but most likely will.

2nd. Now here is a thought that I'm in the process of pursuing, new young mechanics are really into the computer aspect of cars and trucks, and are mostly parts changers. As in oh this is broke replace it, but older guys in their late 50s and early 60s have been around working on cars and trucks for so long that they have done most everything from a to z in car/truck repair. They can take a starter apart and rebuild it rather than just replace it. And they have at some points worked  on projects that required some inventive process. You know had to create a fix where there was no book to tell them how to do it. Most are wielders - fitters - fabricators, (at least to some degree) and have a great understanding as to what works and how everything on a car or truck reacts with everything else.  And finally have been around for so long they have seen it and done it. So talking to young guys is great but don't ignore the old-timer that runs the self owned shop in some out of the way location. I'm not saying just pick one and drop off your truck just thinking go by and talk to them. And at lot of times some of their willingness to take on a project like this is a personality thing. If they like you, your project or ideas, and don't demand it be done in a heartbeat the price and job might get special attention in both areas. And if it does after your open call them every once in awhile and tell them your buying lunch for the crew. You'll get great service every time you walk into that garage forever.

Sorry for the length of this just an early Sunday post LMAO.

Jack
                                                      PS the web page is awesome good job.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 10/27/13 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hey Jack,

I will def keep that in mind. Its funny because your point hits the nail on the head lol.  Thanks for viewing the site and commenting! Going to update the plumbing this week. I.E. put the grey water underneath the truck. Adding a fill port from the outside of the truck etc.I'll post pics of the work

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/28/13 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                                          Does anybody have good pics of a Genny mounted underneath the truck? I'm trying to see show my welder how to make the frame to hold the genny.    Thanks in advance!

Rcoy

• Total Posts: 91
                                                            • Location: Bremerton, WA
                                                            Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/28/13 10:50 PM (permalink)
                                                            You can't see a lot, but this is the mount we made for a qd12000

This is what that side looks like at this point

https://www.facebook.com/KingBiscuitMobileCafe

<message edited by Rcoy on Mon, 10/28/13 11:05 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 107

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com