The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

1983 P30 rebuild

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 107
kapowtruck

• Total Posts: 121
Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 10/28/13 11:48 PM (permalink)
Awesome thanks for posting! Question I have did you weld and mount that rack to the bus's frame?

Rcoy

• Total Posts: 91
    Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 10/29/13 12:48 AM (permalink)
    No, the box it sits in is fastened to the floor and the frame bolts to the bottom rim of the box.

The floor of the bus is 16g steel with 1x3 ribs every 8 in. we cut the hole so there was a rib on each end for support, and lapped over the existing floor with 2x2x1/8 angle welded to the top perimeter of the generator box. This is probably the biggest genset you will see in a food truck, it tips the scales @ nearly 900#. The good news is that we can remove it by pulling 10 bolts and sliding it out with a transmission jack, which is how we put it in as well.

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
      Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 10/29/13 8:22 AM (permalink)
      Rcoy, just curious, was your ground clearance sufficient, looks like you were well below the centerline of the wheels with the bottom of the gen frame.  I'm always overcautious about going too low...too many steep slopes and speed bumps.  But thxs for posting the pics link, looks like a fun conversion.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 10/29/13 10:17 AM (permalink)
        RodBangkok

Rcoy, just curious, was your ground clearance sufficient, looks like you were well below the centerline of the wheels with the bottom of the gen frame.  I'm always overcautious about going too low...too many steep slopes and speed bumps.  But thxs for posting the pics link, looks like a fun conversion.

Sawadee Krup. Sabadi Mai? Kun you tee nai? Krob Krua ma jak Ubon.

Rcoy

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 10/29/13 7:50 PM (permalink)
          RodBangkok

The bus has a factory underbelly lugggage area, that where my genset, house batteries and charger and water/grey water tanks are. it is all still @ factory height. I may airbag the rear axle for transport and deflate it for setup if it seems like it is going to be an issue.

https://www.facebook.com/KingBiscuitMobileCafe

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 10/29/13 9:04 PM (permalink)
            That's what i'm worried about on my p30. I would love most to move most of my stuff underneath the truck. I might just leave my Genny on the front of the truck and mount my battery pack  underneath customer side. I like the ideal of air suspension while driving. Thanks for the info Rcoy I liked your page also.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Wed, 10/30/13 9:57 PM (permalink)
              Worked on moving the waste water tank to underneath the truck today. Original owners had it under the sink hence why the legs are cut on the left. Going to move the HWH and fresh water tank under the sink next.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Thu, 10/31/13 8:51 PM (permalink)
                Alright so I'm attempting to mount my generac underneath my p30 like Rcoy, but its going to to sit too low. I need about 5k continous power for my hood, lights, water heater, and fridge. I think about buying 2 3k honda eu and run them parrell. The problem I can't find on the if there's a adapter to go from a 4 prong twist to a 3 prong so I could plug into this gennies. Any deal with this yet? This what my plug looks like coming off my breaker box.

Rcoy

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Thu, 10/31/13 10:21 PM (permalink)
                  kapowtruck

Alright so I'm attempting to mount my generac underneath my p30 like Rcoy, but its going to to sit too low. I need about 5k continous power for my hood, lights, water heater, and fridge. I think about buying 2 3k honda eu and run them parrell. The problem I can't find on the if there's a adapter to go from a 4 prong twist to a 3 prong so I could plug into this gennies. Any deal with this yet? This what my plug looks like coming off my breaker box.

Edit, I just looked at the parallel kit, it looks like it charges both conductors, and ends in a 4 prong plug, if thats the case you just need to put the correct end on the cable. It is 125v only.
                  I do believe the eu3000 is 120v and the 4 slot plug is 220. 2x 120v 1 neutral, 1 ground. I am sure you can wire the paralled gensets to your setup, but if you have a 220v box you will have to jumper to the second leg if you need all the breakers. Perhaps someone with more electrical knowhow will speak to the feasability of that approach.
                  <message edited by Rcoy on Thu, 10/31/13 10:24 PM>

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Thu, 10/31/13 11:33 PM (permalink)

Edit, I just looked at the parallel kit, it looks like it charges both conductors, and ends in a 4 prong plug, if thats the case you just need to put the correct end on the cable. It is 125v only.
                    I do believe the eu3000 is 120v and the 4 slot plug is 220. 2x 120v 1 neutral, 1 ground. I am sure you can wire the paralled gensets to your setup, but if you have a 220v box you will have to jumper to the second leg if you need all the breakers. Perhaps someone with more electrical knowhow will speak to the feasability of that approach.

Alright I'll check tomorrow to see what size box they installed.  I would be nice to have 2 quiet hondas mounted underneath my truck.
                    Thanks for the input

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 11/2/13 11:10 PM (permalink)
                      Alright here's a pic of my breaker box. If I wanted to add shore line power would I need to run separate line?

Rcoy

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 11/2/13 11:22 PM (permalink)
                        Generally adding shore power is done by removing the genset from the circuit, either with a transfer switch or adding a plug and socket, you unplug the feed from the generator and plug in your shorepower cord.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 11/2/13 11:36 PM (permalink)
                          Got it thank  you. I saw a food truck yesterday with this plug socket on the driver side of the truck which he plug straight into the city's light post.

So I found these RV dog bone's adapter, so I should be able to do the same thing.

Which I think will solve my problem of have a 30 amp 4 prong twist to a 20 amp plug.

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
                            Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sat, 11/2/13 11:54 PM (permalink)
                            This is probably more complicated than you want to go, but it is the safest and easiest way to switch or transfer power.  Below is a link to a tech article from Cummins:
                            http://www.cumminspower.c...-BypassTransfer-en.pdf
                            If you install a simple contactor which is basically a relay, you can insure you will never have a problem with having both shore and gen power being connected at the same time, but also provides the option of just throwing a switch to change from shore to gen, as both can be hooked up at the same time.
                            This can get much more complicated as instead of a switch to control the contactor you can have sensors to detect if the gen is running and the shore power drops, or conversely also.
                            I don't believe a small size contactor would be that expensive, and would certainly be more convenient that manually switching cables.
                            btw, Cummins has a lot of good tech articles about mobile power systems in their tech library.

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 224
                              Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 11/3/13 2:10 AM (permalink)
                              Ok, wow!  Slow down a sec...it's not that involved!!!!!  Simple transfer switch and call it a day...

http://www.homedepot.com/...100171587#.UnX185Sglss

Auto transfer switches are a very fancy way to automatically switch from one power source to another.  But having a manual switch allows you to choose which you want, when you want it without worrying about backfeeding or blowing any of your circuits up.  It can get way complicated...but for our applications if pretty much clear as mud...you want to provide yourself a power option-generator or shore power.  Plain and simple....whether you foot the price of an auto transfer or move the switch yourself its a pretty easy job.  Then you're generator(s) will always be permanently wired and the only plug you have to worry about is the shore power, when needed.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 11/3/13 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                Awesome thanks for the info guys! that made it so much easier! Now I can get my 3 hodna eu's and having an option of shore power while I'm at festival. This is why I love this site! Thanks everyone again!

fishscale28

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 11/3/13 7:01 PM (permalink)
                                  That one works well too...not super fancy but works.  I use it every day pumping 10KW from my diesel genny, can switch the power off then switch to shore power when I get ready.  Easy as pie!!!

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 11/3/13 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                    fishscale28

That one works well too...not super fancy but works.  I use it every day pumping 10KW from my diesel genny, can switch the power off then switch to shore power when I get ready.  Easy as pie!!!

Trying to figure out what plug i need for Shore Power. What's yours in FL?

fishscale28

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Sun, 11/3/13 11:08 PM (permalink)
                                      This is the plug I used for the truck side:

http://www.global-america...-Twist-dsh-Lock/Detail

Here is the recepticle:

http://www.hubbellcatalog..._Devices&PN=CS8369

Here is the cord I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R...oose-End-/390644483547

And the receptacle I used for that I bought at Home Depot or Lowes.  I would recommend finding the plugs and recepticles (except for the HD or Lowes one) on the ebay of Amazon...you'll save a ton and find them very reasonably.  For the truck receptacle I found a hubbell brand weather protected plug cover/housing that keeps it tightly closed and very well protected.  Or you could find a way to run it inside the cab and possibly incorporate that into your transfer switch.

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 11/4/13 12:52 AM (permalink)
                                        Fishscale you just saved me so much time! Thanks Brotha!

~Thai Guy

fishscale28

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Mon, 11/4/13 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                          I got you dawg!  Glad to help...let me know if you need anything else...not sure I can be of much assistance but doesn't hurt.  Direct email is david (at) box of chacos . com  (all together, obviously)

Cheers!

BelCibo

• Total Posts: 155
                                            Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 11/5/13 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                            We did it that same way Fishscale did.  50A 220V cord hard wired to the truck,
                                            50a to 30a rv adapter,
                                            http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55185-Powergrip-Dogbone-Electrical/dp/B000BUQOGI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1383662065&sr=1-1&keywords=Camco+55185
                                            30a 220 to 20a 110 adapter.
                                            http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-15M-PowerGrip-Adapter/dp/B00192JGA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1383662125&sr=1-1&keywords=Camco+55223

We plug in 110V at 90% of the events.  You have the adapters to plug in to 220V at events or a 50A Generator.  We often use a Honda 3000 so we also have an adapter that goes form the 30A straight blade to a 30A twist lock.
                                            <message edited by BelCibo on Tue, 11/5/13 9:39 AM>

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 11/5/13 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                              Yea I just saw those on  a RV site. WHen you down step can you still run all your equipment?

BelCibo

• Total Posts: 155
                                                Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 11/5/13 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                                kapowtruck

Yea I just saw those on  a RV site. WHen you down step can you still run all your equipment?

We don't have anything that runs on 220V.  If you did the 220 devices are not going to work properly.  The 110 plug shorts the hot lines.

I would bet simple electronics like a 220v steam table would work, they would just run at 1/2 the normal power output.  Don't take my word for it though.

fishscale28

• Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
                                                  Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 11/5/13 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                                  The more you keep 110 the easier things will be if you wanted to hook up to city power somewhere.  I'm kinda screwed into using 220 only (I have a residential AC on my truck which requires it-but in South Florida it's been a God send) but I have 220 shore power setup in my warehouse and just use my genny when out and about.  Occasionally I do take the truck home and run extension cords from the coolers to the house...just to keep the food cold.  Unless you have a rare circumstance you should be able to keep everything on 110V service

fishscale28

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 11/5/13 9:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    Which also means easier to find/cheaper plugs, receptacles, and a three conductor extension cable vs the four needed for 220V

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Fri, 11/8/13 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      fishscale28

Which also means easier to find/cheaper plugs, receptacles, and a three conductor extension cable vs the four needed for 220V

Thanks for the info! Just order those also!

kapowtruck

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 11/12/13 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hey Guys,

Here's a mock up of the truck so far by my vinyl team. Let me know what you think or any suggestions you have!

Thanks for looking!

fishscale28

Re:1983 P30 rebuild Wed, 11/13/13 12:52 AM (permalink)
                                                          Looking good!  

kapowtruck

• Location: Delaware
                                                            Re:1983 P30 rebuild Tue, 12/3/13 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                                            Hey Gang Selling my NSF triple sink and drop in hand sink so I can fit my generator to a smaller set up. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 107

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com