Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31
scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/1/13 12:28 AM (permalink)
Upon eating at Santa Fe's Five and Dime General Store snack bar in New Mexico, Bourdain had this to say:

"Canned Hormel chile, and dayglo orange cheese-like substance dropped like a deuce (another roller in the night) right into a bag of Fritos. It feels like you're holding a warm crap in a bag."

This predictably did not go over well in New Mexico where a lot of pride it taken in Frito Pie.
Read about the life of Charles Elmer Doolin, the inventor of Fritos http://www.scrumptiousche...f-Charles-Elmer-Doolin

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1273
    Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/1/13 12:36 AM (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef

Upon eating at Santa Fe's Five and Dime General Store snack bar in New Mexico, Bourdain had this to say:

"Canned Hormel chile, and dayglo orange cheese-like substance dropped like a deuce (another roller in the night) right into a bag of Fritos. It feels like you're holding a warm crap in a bag."

And how would you know that, Mr. Bourdain, hmmmm???

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
      Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/1/13 12:42 AM (permalink)
      The guy is clueless....not even worth talking about.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
        Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/1/13 12:44 AM (permalink)
        love2bake

scrumptiouschef

And how would you know that, Mr. Bourdain, hmmmm???

Have you ever picked up after a large dog?

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
          Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/1/13 6:09 AM (permalink)
          So if one of us went into Santa Fe's Five and Dime General Store snack bar, ate FCP and reported it was ""Canned Hormel chile, and dayglo orange cheese-like substance dropped like a deuce (another roller in the night) right into a bag of Fritos. It feels like you're holding a warm crap in a bag"wouldn't the rest thank us for the heads up??

DT

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
            Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/1/13 7:46 AM (permalink)
            Don't think I'd ever consider doing that.  I've written many Trip Reports on this site and never felt the need to use such a description. 

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
              Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 10:18 PM (permalink)
              I really enjoyed his show on Copenhagen this evening.  After Paris, that is my favorite city on the continent.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 10:33 PM (permalink)
                I loved my visit to Copenhagen with my late father many years ago. The Danes really like Americans and the food and sites are wonderful. A real treat was a visit to Elsinore Castle and then an amazing, sumptuous Smorgasbord in a nearby hotel.
                A typical Danish Smorgasbord.....
                http://www.google.com/sea...&bih=821&dpr=1

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17828
                  Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 10:59 PM (permalink)
                  Please, Smorrebrod (and I can't do the lines through the Os). Living in the former Danish Virgin Islands, now the U.S. Virgin Islands (since we bought them from Denmark in 1917), I learned a lot about Denmark and Danes (including their heroism in hiding Jews during the Nazi occupation). I have a deep respect and admiration for the people, the food, and especially the Royal Family's brewing company, Tuborg.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6229
                    Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 11:04 PM (permalink)
                    MetroplexJim

I really enjoyed his show on Copenhagen this evening.  After Paris, that is my favorite city on the continent.

Paris is my favorite city too.  I was lucky to live there for 3 years and every day was an awesome experience.  After Paris, my favorite is Bruxelles.
                    No Frito pie at either location.........thank God!

Twinwillow

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 11:05 PM (permalink)
                      Michael Hoffman

Please, Smorrebrod (and I can't do the lines through the Os). Living in the former Danish Virgin Islands, now the U.S. Virgin Islands (since we bought them from Denmark in 1917), I learned a lot about Denmark and Danes (including their heroism in hiding Jews during the Nazi occupation). I have a deep respect and admiration for the people, the food, and especially the Royal Family's brewing company, Tuborg.

lleechef

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 11:13 PM (permalink)
                        Smørrebrød
                        Sheesh, do I have to teach him everything?

Twinwillow

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 11:17 PM (permalink)
                          Smörgȧsbord. (As close to Danish as I could get)

Twinwillow

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 11:19 PM (permalink)
                            lleechef

Smørrebrød
                            Sheesh, do I have to teach him everything?

Yes.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17828
                              Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/6/13 11:31 PM (permalink)
                              Out of the goodness of her heart lleechef just showed me how she did it. Smørrebrød. OK. She's smarter than I am.

But I'm a lot cuter.

MetroplexJim

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Mon, 10/7/13 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                lleechef

MetroplexJim

Paris is my favorite city too.  I was lucky to live there for 3 years and every day was an awesome experience.  After Paris, my favorite is Bruxelles.
                                No Frito pie at either location.........thank God!

Bruxelles must be ranked lower than Copenhagen for one very important reason:  they put seasoned mayo on their pommes frites; the Danes use Sauce Bearnaise! 

lleechef

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Mon, 10/7/13 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                  Oui, mais.......that spicy mayo on the frites along with a saucisse and a Chimay bleue is soooooo good! 

MetroplexJim

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/8/13 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                    The "other Bourdain/Frito Pie" thread was deleted, appropriately

Unfortunately, a lot of amusing/informative/thoughtful posts were lost in the carnage.

Bourdain is 'notorious' for mocking other hosts, among them Samantha Brown, Adam Richman, and Paula Deen.  So, here is a clip I find hilarious.  It also shows Samantha Brown (as the Cat Woman) and Adam Richman (as the voice on TV) to be "good sports"; they "get it".  And, Paula Deen has her revenge!

Enjoy!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7748
                                      Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/8/13 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                      I know when he visited the Tiki Bar/Restaurant Jade Island on Staten Island for a pu pu platter he was beaming with joy. He must have had a Love Potion as well.
                                      <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 10/8/13 10:11 AM>

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1273
                                        Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Tue, 10/8/13 11:30 AM (permalink)

MetroplexJim

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/9/13 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                          love2bake

Here's another laugh riot.  This one, however, was unintentional as Tony learns the hard way that good intentions sometimes pave the Road to Hell:

MetroplexJim

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/13/13 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                            Speaking of Bourdain's Copenhagen show, is there anyone here who is all "hot" to go eat at Noma, presently, "the best restaurant in the world"?

Thinking back, I have - more or less by accident and not intention - eaten at two such venues in my lifetime:  once, at The Jockey Club in Madrid in the mid- '70's and The inn at Little Washington several times in the '80's.  At those points in time it truly was credible that they were, then, "the best in the world".

And, Bourdain's visit for the final service at El Bulli was truly breath-taking for 'foodie TV'.  That was simply OMG! 

But, Noma leaves me at 'meh'.  Frankly, I think Guide Michelin is a little over-generous with deux etoiles.

Twinwillow

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Sun, 10/13/13 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                              Bourdain's show filmed at El Bulli was truly amazing. At that time, I never thought anyone else could ever duplicate the creativeness shown by the chefs at El Bulli. I was in total awe of the dishes that were brought out of the kitchen during that episode.

Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
                                                Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/23/13 12:12 AM (permalink)
                                                MetroplexJim
                                                Speaking of Bourdain's Copenhagen show, is there anyone here who is all "hot" to go eat at Noma, presently, "the best restaurant in the world"?

Just watched this episode today. But yeah, if someone else was paying. If my math is correct a meal at Noma will run about $300 US a person and that's without a wine pairing.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                                  Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/23/13 7:30 AM (permalink)
                                                  MetroplexJim

Thinking back, I have - more or less by accident and not intention - eaten at two such venues in my lifetime:  once, at The Jockey Club in Madrid in the mid- '70's and The inn at Little Washington several times in the '80's.  At those points in time it truly was credible that they were, then, "the best in the world".

And, Bourdain's visit for the final service at El Bulli was truly breath-taking for 'foodie TV'.  That was simply OMG! 

But, Noma leaves me at 'meh'.  Frankly, I think Guide Michelin is a little over-generous with deux etoiles.
                                                  Hey Jim...I agree with you about the Inn at Little Washington. Never made the Jockey Club. Question...my daughter is in Barcelona and my wife is visiting right after Christmas. They are spending 4 days in San Sebastian which supposedly has more Michelin restaurants per city block than any place in the world. Would you possibly have any suggestions? They are considering Arzak. Thanks.

MetroplexJim

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/23/13 9:04 AM (permalink)
                                                    Pancho

MetroplexJim

Hey Jim...I agree with you about the Inn at Little Washington. Never made the Jockey Club. Question...my daughter is in Barcelona and my wife is visiting right after Christmas. They are spending 4 days in San Sebastian which supposedly has more Michelin restaurants per city block than any place in the world. Would you possibly have any suggestions? They are considering Arzak. Thanks.

The last time I visited Fuenterrabía / San Sebastian was in the 1970's, so I have no recommendations.  But, Bourdain certainly does and Arzak is among them. 

I do recall, however, that it was so delightful that an intended overnight became three days.

As for The Jockey Club, sadly, they have closed.  When I ate dined there it was still in its prime.  The food was magnificent, but three things stick in my memory:

• The service was the best I ever have experienced.  The potables were kept filled, silver replaced, and courses appeared - all as if by magic.  While serving they would wait until my gaze was averted.  I actually had to observe other tables to see how they accomplished this.
                                                    • Due to the weakness of the Peseta vis a vis the then almighty dollar the bill for three came only to $120!
                                                    • The attended restroom was so ornate and pristine I (almost) felt guilty using it for its intended purpose!
                                                    R.I.P., Club Jockey.

<message edited by MetroplexJim on Wed, 10/23/13 4:31 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/23/13 10:54 AM (permalink)
                                                      If I may butt in here, I remember watching a show with Bourdain at Arzak a few years ago. All I can say about Arzak is, I would not miss it by any means! Yes, it's a must do!

Twinwillow

Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/23/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                                        If I may add my 2 cents. A few years ago I watched a show with Bourdain at Arzak. My mouth was drooling during the entire time watching this show. So in my opinion, I would say, yes! Arzak is definitely a must do!

MetroplexJim

• Location: McKinney, TX
                                                          Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/23/13 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                                          Twinwillow

If I may add my 2 cents. A few years ago I watched a show with Bourdain at Arzak. My mouth was drooling during the entire time watching this show. So in my opinion, I would say, yes! Arzak is definitely a must do!

Here you go.  Enjoy!

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                                            • Joined: 10/20/2004
                                                            • Location: Madison, WI
                                                            Re:Bourdain Kicks Up A Fuss In New Mexico Over Frito Pie Wed, 10/23/13 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                                            MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

Here you go.  Enjoy!

Wow! Many thanks to both of you! I just sent the video to my daughter in Barcelona and will save it for my wife. Now why didn't I think of that! Arzak is closed for a few days before and after the New Year, but she is trying to get in right after. Here's another place she is looking at...recommended by the owner of the house they are renting. Also, a link for the place they are renting. Seems like a great deal and location.
                                                            http://www.tripadvisor.co...a-Donostia_San_Sebasti
                                                            https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/961100
                                                            <message edited by Pancho on Wed, 10/23/13 2:07 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com