The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Who has Peter Luger been with for the past 30+ years?

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
Who has Peter Luger been with for the past 30+ years? Mon, 10/14/13 11:28 AM (permalink)
This weekend I was on a cemetery crawl at Cypress Hills Cemetery on the Brooklyn Queens border. We were allowed access to the Cypress Hills Abbey, a mausoleum built in the early 20's.  It houses quite a cast of characters.

http://kozel.homelinux.com/P1010399.JPG

http://kozel.homelinux.com/P1010412.JPG

http://kozel.homelinux.com/P1010411.JPG

bigbear

• Total Posts: 59
    Re:Who has Peter Luger been with for the past 30+ years? Mon, 10/14/13 3:21 PM (permalink)
    He's been with Mae West, who said, "“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
      Re:Who has Peter Luger been with for the past 30+ years? Mon, 10/14/13 4:13 PM (permalink)
      "Is that a Double Porterhouse in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

kozel

Re:Who has Peter Luger been with for the past 30+ years? Mon, 10/14/13 4:32 PM (permalink)
        At the request of the West family, her section of the Abbey is off limits to the general public.  Anyone notice that 'Gentleman Jim Corbet' has a room there a well?  While Peter passed in 1941, Mae was around to 1980, hence only 30+ years together. One of the oldest taverns in New York is Neir's Tavern just a few blocks away from the cemetery, it is supposed to be where Mae first entertained.  Neir's opened in 1829 as the Blue Pump Room when the Union Race Course was across the street.

http://www.neirstavern.com/

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
          Re:Who has Peter Luger been with for the past 30+ years? Tue, 10/15/13 10:18 AM (permalink)
          Even though I am hardly obssessed by where remains lie every now and then I come across something "interesting".  Here are two:

Here in McKinney, TX the remains of "Haystacks Calhoun", a native son, lie in a double-wide grave.

And, Walt Disney is buried, not frozen.

kozel

Re:Who has Peter Luger been with for the past 30+ years? Tue, 10/15/13 1:32 PM (permalink)
            MetroplexJim

Even though I am hardly obssessed by where remains lie every now and then I come across something "interesting".  Here are two:
            Here in McKinney, TX the remains of "Haystacks Calhoun", a native son, lie in a double-wide grave.
            And, Walt Disney is buried, not frozen.

In the mid 1800's most of Manhattan was closed to burials and cemeteries in Queens and Brooklyn exploded.  Growing up in Queens you were never far from a cemetery; St John's was a half block from my house. It was not uncommon to hear Taps being played almost any day.  St John's was noted for the members of the underworld that are interred there. Later on my involvement in genealogy further piqued my interest.   Maybe I just don't get out much!

BTW, your comment about the Double Porterhouse is funny!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com