The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe

neha19

• Total Posts: 3
Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 5:33 AM (permalink)
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (4- to 5-pound) whole chicken, neck and giblets removed from the cavity
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced (optional)
  • Fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary, or thyme (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
    Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Place the chicken on a work surface or cutting board and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut off and discard any extra fat hanging around the body cavity. Drizzle the oil on the chicken and rub it all over the skin. Season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Place the lemon and herbs inside the cavity, if using. Place the chicken breast-side up in a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet. Roast the chicken in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and continue roasting until the juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into the inner thigh (but not touching the bone) registers 165°F, about 50 minutes to 1 hour more. Remove the chicken from the oven and place on a cutting board. Let it rest about 15 to 20 minutes before carving.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2016
    Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 8:22 AM (permalink)
    How about introducing yourself.  Tell us a little about who or what you are.  Some members this forum might think you are spamming even though your 1st post is about food and the link in your profile is to a US restaraunt.

edwmax

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 8:31 AM (permalink)
      Now when I was in Saudi Arabia there was a roasted chicken sold which had a yellowish color.    The small chickens were stacked on multiple splits on a rotisserie.    i think the yellow color was from saffron.    ... Can you describe or tell me what the seasonings were.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
        Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 10:09 AM (permalink)
        I don't trust the OP. Their "basic whole roasted chicken" recipe is very well known by all and can be found everywhere. Sorry to offend but, I still don't trust this OP.

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 10:26 AM (permalink)
          Given more thought, why would someone from India offer a simple Western world basic roast chicken recipe that obviously appears to be plagiarized from most any cookbook or link? As I've noted regarding this OP's basic marshmallow frosting recipe from their first thread, I'm not trusting this OP's motives.
          Sorry, but those are my personal thoughts.

<message edited by Twinwillow on Sat, 10/19/13 10:57 AM>

neha19

• Total Posts: 3
            Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 10:56 AM (permalink)
            Hi there,

I am nehal and i am not a spammar because i am interested in cooking & still trying to learn some more recipes. For that i has join these forum .
            because i am new learner for that i am not perfect in cooking. but if you think i am a spammar so next time i  Advertence before any post.

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 11:03 AM (permalink)
              Could you please explain to me and others, why on your profile does your home page link to an Italian restaurant in Freeport, NY?
              <message edited by Twinwillow on Sat, 10/19/13 11:06 AM>

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 11:40 AM (permalink)
                Why do my instincts tell me that that neha19 and Albert12 are the same person? 

edwmax

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 11:59 AM (permalink)
                  neha19

Hi there,

I am nehal and i am not a spammar because i am interested in cooking & still trying to learn some more recipes. For that i has join these forum .
                  because i am new learner for that i am not perfect in cooking. but if you think i am a spammar so next time i  Advertence before any post.

Then you need to read though the the threads on the forum.    Posting common basic recipes of which everyone here already has access to will only get you banned.     If you want to post recipes, then post regional and ethnic recipes of your country or culture and why they are special to you.    

Where do you live or what country are you in?    .... from your profile, you appear to be in India ...

bartl

• Total Posts: 1210
                    Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 10/19/13 11:39 PM (permalink)
                    I didn't flag it, but the recipe is stolen from chow.com: http://www.chow.com/recip...-whole-roasted-chicken

Bart

edwmax

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sun, 10/20/13 6:59 AM (permalink)
                      Actually, I don't like roasted chicken.       ... So my 
                      'basic' recipe is to salt & pepper the chicken; shove into a hot oven and roast until dry as hell (about 1 hr 20 min).  Then serve to guest you don't really like.    .... They wont be back again.

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sun, 10/20/13 12:01 PM (permalink)
                        edwmax

Actually, I don't like roasted chicken.       ... So my 
                        'basic' recipe is to salt & pepper the chicken; shove into a hot oven and roast until dry as hell (about 1 hr 20 min).  Then serve to guest you don't really like.    .... They wont be back again.

As in, serve it to Mr. Neha19?

edwmax

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sun, 10/20/13 1:17 PM (permalink)
                          YOU know if you don't like this thread, You don't have join in or post here.  YOU are the one spamming the thread!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                            Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sun, 10/20/13 4:25 PM (permalink)
                            Ed, I'd agree with you if it were not for the plagiarism

edwmax

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sun, 10/20/13 6:24 PM (permalink)
                              TJ Jackson

Ed, I'd agree with you if it were not for the plagiarism

Understood, but  the plagiarism is not the problem.   Attacking a 'suspect spammer' is not a good image for the forums.    .... The admin can handle spammers.    

If this OP just made a bad judgement in his desire to fit in, then the above comments will certainly drive him away.   

Ranthael

• Total Posts: 1
                                Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 5:27 PM (permalink)
                                I do it like this:
                                Salt the chicken from the inside and outside, you can't oversalt it (unless you try really hard). Let it dry a little, a few hours. Then fill the pot (an oval one) with oil, not too much. Put the chicken in. And roast it on 200 degrees celsius. After about 15 minutes add chopped onions and potatoes. Poke the chicken so you know it's done. You can also pour it with hot oil once every 10 minutes so the skin stays crusty but not overburned. It should be done after an hour or hour and a half, depending how big your chicken is (if it's over 8 pounds, that's not a chicken...). So keep poking it, if you don't see blood or too many juices go out and your fork should enter like it would enter butter, it's over. And no infrigement in this recipe...

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                  Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 6:46 PM (permalink)
                                  Ranthael

I do it like this:
                                  Salt the chicken from the inside and outside, you can't oversalt it (unless you try really hard). Let it dry a little, a few hours. Then fill the pot (an oval one) with oil, not too much. Put the chicken in. And roast it on 200 degrees celsius. After about 15 minutes add chopped onions and potatoes. Poke the chicken so you know it's done. You can also pour it with hot oil once every 10 minutes so the skin stays crusty but not overburned. It should be done after an hour or hour and a half, depending how big your chicken is (if it's over 8 pounds, that's not a chicken...). So keep poking it, if you don't see blood or too many juices go out and your fork should enter like it would enter butter, it's over. And no infrigement in this recipe...

That is the dumbest recipe I have ever seen.

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 8:23 PM (permalink)
                                    Thomas Keller's own favorite roast chicken recipe from his Ad Hoc cookbook is also mine ever since the first time I made it after seeing the recipe in his book. I use an organically raised free range bird about 4 LBs and roast for no longer than an hour and 15 minutes.

The drier the chicken, the better the end result. I will dry the chicken very well, stuff paper towels in the cavity and let it dry out uncovered in my fridge for 1-2 days.

The final result gives amazingly crisp skin and very juicy meat. Even the breast! Which, I normally give away.
                                    http://www.simplyrecipes....kellers_roast_chicken/

lleechef

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                      Twinwillow
                                      You are right about "The drier the chicken, the better the end result."  I do this with duck.  I dry the duck for 3-4 days.  The skin is super crispy and the meat very juicy.  Works for chicken too.........we usually attack the breast first.

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 9:31 PM (permalink)
                                        IIeechef...
                                        Although I am totally mad about duck, I rarely make it. But when I do, I make after it's fully dried out after 3-4 days in the fridge. Just as you recommend.

I also use Julia Child's recipe that calls for pricking the duck all over the sides of the breast and turning the roasting duck a quarter turn on a rack every 15 minutes. This allows the copious amount of fat to drain and render the duck skin extra crispy.
                                        <message edited by Twinwillow on Fri, 01/10/14 11:35 PM>

lleechef

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                          Twinwillow
                                          Wow!  I am impressed!  Most folks don't know how to cook duck properly (or chicken, for that matter)!!!  I also follow Julia's method for "pricking" to let the fat drain.  You take the fat and make Pommes Darphin! 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                                            Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                            I was going to comment on "poking the chicken" until i read about attacking the breast.

Carrion...

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Fri, 01/10/14 11:42 PM (permalink)
                                              lleechef

Twinwillow
                                              Wow!  I am impressed!  Most folks don't know how to cook duck properly (or chicken, for that matter)!!!  I also follow Julia's method for "pricking" to let the fat drain.  You take the fat and make Pommes Darphin! 

Jacques Pepin's recipe for Pommes Darphin. Of course, we would substitute rendered duck fat for his corn oil.
                                              http://blogs.kqed.org/ess...9/23/darphin-potatoes/

<message edited by Twinwillow on Fri, 01/10/14 11:43 PM>

lleechef

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 01/11/14 11:01 AM (permalink)
                                                Twinwillow
                                                I have seen Jacque's recipe and I do mine entirely different.  I julienne peeled Idaho potatoes on the mandolin.  Do not rinse.  Put them directly into a hot sauté pan that has the duck fat in it.  Pack the potatoes in firmly with your hand.  Keep on med-high heat.  With a spatula go around the potatoes and under, keeping it together in a "cake".  When you can shake the pan and the cake moves on its own and is brown, flip it over.  I put a plate on top and invert.  Put it back in the pan and place on the floor of a 500 degree oven until brown. 
                                                This is the way I was taught at LaVarenne in Paris.  Caution:  it is very easy to get burned making this so be careful!!!

Twinwillow

Re:Basic Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe Sat, 01/11/14 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                                  lleechef:
                                                  Your version sounds much better!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com