The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Unusual ship on the Tennessee River

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
Sundancer7

Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Thu, 10/31/13 2:19 PM (permalink)
The sailboat club that I was a member of had a wonderful beautiful site on the Tennessee River.  It was wide and long but there was a sandbar not too far from the dock and occasionaly one of the members would get hung up there.  They would have to buy a case of beer for the club.  I never got hung up there though.  Perhaps I was too slow to make it???

My brother had a 25 O'day and quite frankly, it was a bit like my 25 Hunter, slow and lunky although he had more sails than me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
    Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Thu, 10/31/13 6:02 PM (permalink)
    My Loran would tell me I was in Bermuda when I was entering Boston Harbor!  Good thing I knew where the yacht club was!  And the mooring.

Sundancer7

Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Thu, 10/31/13 6:51 PM (permalink)
      lleechef

My Loran would tell me I was in Bermuda when I was entering Boston Harbor!  Good thing I knew where the yacht club was!  And the mooring.

I guess that is the reason that everybody has a GPS.  I have one on my boat although I rarely use the boat.  I have them in all my vehicles.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
        Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Thu, 10/31/13 8:30 PM (permalink)
        Give me a map and a depth chart and I'm all set.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Thu, 10/31/13 11:31 PM (permalink)
          The closest I ever came to being an active boater, was the evening I took Helen Seixxxx, my Prom Date, to watch the Submarine Races on the Los Angeles River after the Prom ended. December 1959. You L A folks know what an adventure that could have been !!!  

if you are not familiar with the L A area, think of the drag race scene in the original  "GREASE" Movie.  That's the L A River !

Sundancer7

Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Fri, 11/1/13 5:47 AM (permalink)
            mayor al

The closest I ever came to being an active boater, was the evening I took Helen Seixxxx, my Prom Date, to watch the Submarine Races on the Los Angeles River after the Prom ended. December 1959. You L A folks know what an adventure that could have been !!!  

if you are not familiar with the L A area, think of the drag race scene in the original  "GREASE" Movie.  That's the L A River ! 

Al: 1959?? I am proud of you recalling your dates name. I recall my proms but not the dates.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

<message edited by Sundancer7 on Fri, 11/1/13 5:48 AM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
              Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Fri, 11/1/13 8:55 AM (permalink)
              I'm not a sailor but have sailed in Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island, San Diego Bay in California and the British Virgin Islands. Other than that it has been "sailing" in the US Navy, motor boating on Lake Minnetonka and mostly paddling canoes and kayaks of late.

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
                Re:Unusual ship on the Tennessee River Sat, 11/2/13 9:33 AM (permalink)
                That picture of the Star of India brings back memories. When I was stationed in Cali we visited San Diego a few times, and would usually eat at least once at Anthony's, which is virtually under the Star's bowsprit. You can see part of it in that picture. I haven't been there in 25 years, but it used to be awfully good eating.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com