The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Wed, 10/30/13 12:11 PM (permalink)
Irv's has been around since just after WWII. A sad day for Angelenos.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-irvs-burgers-20131030,0,146999.story#axzz2jDnDbQ00

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
    Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Wed, 10/30/13 12:14 PM (permalink)
    Fortunately it sounds as if Irv's might have a future at a new location.  Good luck to Sonia and her family!

buffetbuster

Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Wed, 10/30/13 2:41 PM (permalink)
      It's a shame it has come to this, but the important thing is that the Hong's are able to stay in business and keep Irv's going.  Sonia will make anyplace she hangs her hat a special place to visit.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
        Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Wed, 10/30/13 2:50 PM (permalink)
        Hope this story has a happy ending for Sonia. (get your minds out of the gutter) At least the Apple Pan is still open and going strong. It was my favorite burger joint when I lived in LA during the late 60's.

EdSails

Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Wed, 10/30/13 4:42 PM (permalink)
          I hope it has a happy ending too. It's just sad that unlike their present location, they'll probably just be relegated to a site in a strip mall.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
            Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Wed, 10/30/13 6:11 PM (permalink)

Noooooooo!    First, the Wheel Inn,  .. Now Irv's!!   .... Just before our visit to SoCal in a month from now.     

BuffettBuster, that looks like a College of William and Mary logo on the shirt drawn on the plate.   Is it?   Janet and I are graduates of  W&M.

Glenn

buffetbuster

Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Thu, 11/7/13 3:14 PM (permalink)
              Glenn1234-
              Yes, I was wearing my William & Mary t-shirt that day, so it ended up in the drawing.  Great school!  That is a shame that these classic places will be closed, but luckily Southern California has so much great food......

Glenn1234

Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Thu, 11/7/13 6:00 PM (permalink)
                buffetbuster

Glenn1234-
                Yes, I was wearing my William & Mary t-shirt that day, so it ended up in the drawing.  Great school!  That is a shame that these classic places will be closed, but luckily Southern California has so much great food......

Buffetbuster -  Are you a W&M grad, as well?   Or, like I do, you wear shirts from other colleges?   As a TarHeels basketball fan, I probably have more UNC clothing than W&M clothing, even though I never attended UNC.    Anyway, in case you went to W&M, for timeframe reference, Janet and I graduated from W&M back in the Reagan era.  

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Thu, 11/7/13 9:39 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Thu, 11/7/13 6:06 PM (permalink)
                  You guessed correctly, I am one of those people who likes to visits college bookstores wherever I go, picking up a t-shirt or sweatshirt.  Today, work attire was an East Carolina hoodie.  I can tell you that the William & Mary t-shirt gets just about as many comments as any. 

Glenn1234

• Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                    Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Thu, 11/7/13 9:49 PM (permalink)
                    buffetbuster

I can tell you that the William & Mary t-shirt gets just about as many comments as any. 

I'm surprised to hear that.   Outside of VA and nearby surrounding states, a lot of people have never even heard of W&M.  Good to hear that W&M is getting recognition. 

Glenn

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Thu, 11/7/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
                      Glenn1234

buffetbuster

I can tell you that the William & Mary t-shirt gets just about as many comments as any. 

I'm surprised to hear that.   Outside of VA and nearby surrounding states, a lot of people have never even heard of W&M.  Good to hear that W&M is getting recognition. 

Glenn

William is that Jes...... NEVERMIND!      I don't need to be saying any more Hail Mary's than I already have to.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                        Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Thu, 11/7/13 11:11 PM (permalink)
                        My cousins went to W&M in the late '70s so I've heard of it. That and because it's the second university in the United States. 

I've never been to Irv's.  I hope Sonia relocates to a successful location.

buffetbuster

Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Sun, 01/5/14 7:14 AM (permalink)
                          According to George Motz's twitter feed, Irv's has reopened at 7998 Santa Monica Blvd @Laurel.  Best of luck to Sonia and the rest of the Hong family.

If anyone gets there, please report back! 

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                            Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Sun, 01/5/14 8:39 AM (permalink)
                            Perhaps EdSails and I can investigate the matter , when I visit him in June.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                              Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Mon, 01/6/14 8:20 AM (permalink)
                              Mar, is the new location any closer to where you live?

Every so often on my way into work I see a car that has a license plate that reads "WM N MARY".

EdSails

Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday Mon, 01/6/14 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                Poverty Pete

Perhaps EdSails and I can investigate the matter , when I visit him in June.

I may have to reconnoiter before then. Wouldn't want to take you on a wild goose [burger] chase.  
                                <message edited by EdSails on Mon, 01/6/14 11:54 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com