Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
  • Roadfood Insider
A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 4:58 PM (permalink)
 One of my favorite 'pudding-pie fillings' from my youth was  Junket's  "DANISH DESSERT" a Raspberry flavored , corn-starch based pudding/sauce/glaze. No one else in my family cared for it plain, but over a bowl of peaches it made a fine 'Peach Melba' dessert.  Two cups of water, the mix and bring to a boil  til it thickens...much like all the Jell-o  mixes. Sometime in the 70's ( I think) the demand dropped and it disappeared from store shelves.... although the strawberry version still can be found now and then.

Recently I found a source for my old favorite--on Amazon's grocery section. I have ordered some and will try it to see if the memories remain positive with the renewal of an old favorite.

As a boy, I would make a box just for me... Licking the spoon and the cooking pan clean before washing them, it would make two servings of 1 cup each...one I would eat while it was still warm/hot and usually a bit runny, the second one would be refrigerated and eaten chilled and quite thick.  My fingers and mouth area would be stained deep red from the stuff..so to preserve my image I would not do this on a school night, as I took a lot of 'girlie' comments if I showed up the next day at school with lipstick stains all over my face.
Taste test report and maybe a photo will follow in a week or so.

Anyone else remember this delicious kid-pleaser??
AL

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
    Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 5:35 PM (permalink)
    I remember Junket, and not fondly. I had "cousin"  who used to make it all the time and bring it to our house as a treat (according to her). I can remember she would ring the bell and bring whatever she'd made that day into the kitchen and say to my mother that she thought she'd see if we wanted it, because she was going to throw it out anyway. I always wished she had thrown it out before we had to.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
      Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 5:58 PM (permalink)
      Michael, I remember the custard version was gritty and I did not care for it at all.  But the raspberry  was made with water and had a very smooth strong berry flavor.
      P S I never liked your cousin either...

Michael Hoffman

Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 6:09 PM (permalink)

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 6:19 PM (permalink)
          You're talking about the one who played the accordion at the Roller Rink and sang "Lady of Spain" for the "couples only" skate-time.  She had a voice like "Gravel Gertie" and would rent the only pair of size 14 skates on the shelf.    Heaven help the guy she would grab to carry her accordion case out to her fathers Packard after the rink closed.
            I thought I recognized the family resemblance....  

mar52

• Total Posts: 7605
            Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 6:26 PM (permalink)
            My brother LOVED Junket.

I did not.

Consistency thing.

Michael Hoffman

Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 6:26 PM (permalink)
              My "Cousin" Ida played the harp, and if she sang anything it would probably have been Josephine Please Don't Lean On The Bell.

Sundancer7

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 6:43 PM (permalink)
                  Paul
                  The price is for a case of 12 boxes of the mix.  Not too bad in today's money.  That is the stuff !!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                    Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 7:05 PM (permalink)
                    I'm 65. 

My mother, who worked, occasionally used Junket; it was among the tasty "quick desserts" of my youth.  And I do recall raspberry, a taste mother acquired in the course of her upbringing. 

Her mother, born six years after her parents emigrated from France, prepared "the real deal".

When I was a kid I witnessed and ate truly wonderous things which I came truly to appreciate only after I had become able to travel anywhere I wished.  She prepared from scratch treats that would make these folk weep.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
                      Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Thu, 10/31/13 8:25 PM (permalink)
                      Your great grandparents were from France?  Wow.  Lucky you.  You must have had some great meals.  My great grandmother was from Italy.  I also was fortunate to eat truly wonderful things.  After serving the Sunday dinner to all of us (sometimes 30) she would stand at the stove and cry.  "It didn't come too good this time, huh, nobody ate."   "No Nona, it was wonderful, we just can't eat any more."  She would still cry.  

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                        Re:A Fond Memory Returns- DANISH DESSERT Fri, 11/1/13 1:16 PM (permalink)
                        lleechef

Your great grandparents were from France?  Wow.  Lucky you.  You must have had some great meals.  My great grandmother was from Italy.  I also was fortunate to eat truly wonderful things.  After serving the Sunday dinner to all of us (sometimes 30) she would stand at the stove and cry.  "It didn't come too good this time, huh, nobody ate."   "No Nona, it was wonderful, we just can't eat any more."  She would still cry.  

Yes.  A coal miner, my great grandfather emigrated from France to be able to work for the first time "standing-up" in the fabulously rich Pennsylvania vein.  Having by his own volition become an American, he refused to communicate with any of his five children in French.

This post is going horribly off-topic.  But ...

An only child of only children, my family gatherings were rather small.  In retrospect, the meal-memory I treasure most was the Tuesday dinner:  boiled navy beans flavored by salt and a slice of bacon over a slice of white bread.  My grandfather was truly a Man in Full, a fearsome grey-eyed Scot elevated by his Fellows to the 33rd Degree.  He insisted that hard times - the Depression and the Nazis - never be forgotten. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com