The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Starting My New Venture!

Truladie

• Total Posts: 9
Starting My New Venture! Wed, 11/13/13 10:05 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
I am incorporating hot dogs into my ice cream shop! I'm so nervously excited to be able to offer a new addition to our menu! I will be using a roller, because I don't have the set up to grill them! And I will be steaming my buns in the microwave then keeping them in the bun warmer. I've read a lot of threads on here, so I'm pretty sure I got it. But I do have a couple of questions.. Did y'all guys throw away your hot dogs. I have been told to just freeze them and warm them the next day. But I Would Not want to eat something like that so I def don't wanna serve it. If you guys can think of ANY TIP at all to tell me, please don't hesitate. Thank you for your help in advance!

nshaw65

• Total Posts: 25
    Re:Starting My New Venture! Thu, 11/14/13 4:35 AM (permalink)
    Instead of a roller, why not use a electric hot dog steamer that you can steam the hotdogs and buns at the same time? Most all of the C Stores around here use rollers and the dogs are either cold because they haven't been on long enough or they are shriveled and dry because they have been on too long. I have a friend that owns a diner and he uses a steamer from Star Mfg. and the dogs stay at the right temp. for several hours.

Truladie

Re:Starting My New Venture! Thu, 11/14/13 12:39 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for replying NShaw.... The difference between the C store and my Ice Cream Shop is that I'm gonna be hands on. Serving the dogs myself, that way I can monitor them and make sure they are fresh and hot. 

Midnights

• Total Posts: 186
        Re:Starting My New Venture! Thu, 11/14/13 1:46 PM (permalink)
        I would think they'd take too long to get up to the proper temperature when you're serving on a truck. I'd also suggest the steamer.
        Another option that I've seen it to just get a double "burner" hot plate and put a cast iron griddle on it. You can split the hotdogs down the middle and use a grill press to hold them down as they cook. It's an easy way to add the grilling option, with little financial outlay or space required.
        <message edited by Midnights on Thu, 11/14/13 4:36 PM>

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1791
          Re:Starting My New Venture! Thu, 11/14/13 3:49 PM (permalink)
          [This post was marked as helpful]
          Trueladie - Having once worked in a shop with one of those rollers, I found them problematic for the reasons noted here.  The window where they're finally "properly warmed" to where they're getting "less than desireable" never seemed to fit the lunch rush very well.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 739
            Re:Starting My New Venture! Thu, 11/14/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
            IMO, you're setting yourself up for waste/throwing away.
            First, the rollers are for C-stores where they need them all day for self-serve. Folks who buy these don't expect much, and they sell for .89.
            Second, why would you microwave and then let them sit? MW for 10 seconds and serve.
            Just get a hot plate and keep boiling water in it. When someone says they want a Hot Dog, you ask them "How many?"  Throw 40f. dogs in the water then ask them how they want them. In about 2 min. they are hot enough to serve. MW the buns, then load them up. Cooked to order, zero waste.

Truladie

Re:Starting My New Venture! Fri, 11/15/13 9:18 AM (permalink)
              Thank's for the reply's! I have thought about what y'all said and it makes sense..believe it or not..lol... The Hubby and I brought a 3 compartment steamer last night and will put the roller up for sale on craigslist! I will use the microwave for sausages and to melt the cheese on the cheese dogs. I made a batch of Mr Russ Jackson chili w/ some added spices and It will begin today! I pray for a good outcome.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                Re:Starting My New Venture! Fri, 11/15/13 5:26 PM (permalink)
                A commercial flat Panini Press like this counter top unit: http://www.atozrestaurantsupply.com/single-electric-sandwich-grill-14-x-13.aspx  Get one with a flat top.

You could find one similar to it on ebay used for around $200. Cover it with foil so it is easy to clean....Russ  

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
                  Re:Starting My New Venture! Sat, 11/16/13 1:16 AM (permalink)
                  Glad you changed your mind. If I saw hot dogs on a roller grill I wouldn't buy one and Nuking Buns is a no-no! Makes them tough & chewy.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
                    Re:Starting My New Venture! Sat, 11/16/13 1:24 AM (permalink)
                    Here's Roadfooder TDJ_TX's Wiener Sauce Recipe. It's the best I've ever eaten and I've made and eaten a bunch!
                    TDJ_TX Texas Hot - Wiener Sauce
                    4-5 cups water Less if you like it thicker
                    12 to 16 oz. finely ground hotdogs (I prefer Hebrew National skinless all beef)
                    1/2 cup cornstarch (dissolved in a little cold water)

1/4 Cup White Vinegar
                    1 Tsp of Thyme
                    1 Tbls paprika
                    1 Tbls chili powder
                    1 Tsp sea or kosher salt
                    1/2 Tsp onion powder
                    1/4 Tsp white pepper
                    1/2 Tsp oregano
                    1/2 Tsp cinnamon
                    1 Tsp crushed red pepper flakes
                    A few grinds of fresh black pepper

Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch.
                    Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
                    Taste along the way, adjusting the salt or pepper as you like it.
                    Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.

Note; Each time you reheat the sauce, it will get thicker

nshaw65

Re:Starting My New Venture! Mon, 11/18/13 5:54 AM (permalink)
                      Truladie

Thank's for the reply's! I have thought about what y'all said and it makes sense..believe it or not..lol... The Hubby and I brought a 3 compartment steamer last night and will put the roller up for sale on craigslist! I will use the microwave for sausages and to melt the cheese on the cheese dogs. I made a batch of Mr Russ Jackson chili w/ some added spices and It will begin today! I pray for a good outcome.

Can we get a update on your new venture?

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1791
                        Re:Starting My New Venture! Mon, 11/18/13 7:51 AM (permalink)
                        Foodbme

Here's Roadfooder TDJ_TX's Wiener Sauce Recipe. It's the best I've ever eaten and I've made and eaten a bunch!

HAHAHA!!  I have that sauce saved too!  It's hands down the best hotdog toppping chili sauce I've ever come across. 

Truladie

Re:Starting My New Venture! Tue, 11/26/13 7:41 AM (permalink)
                          Hi all...well Nshaw.... It started off a little rocky. I thought I needed to melt the cheeses on my cheese dog so I nuked it. Ouch,, not so good then it turned out like y'all knew it would with a chewy hard bun. But luckily that was to one of my most understanding long time customers, so it was something I was able to recover from without tarnishing our rep to bad. I havent had many Dogs or Sausage customers, but I'm working on more advertisement avenues to help with that.

nshaw65

Re:Starting My New Venture! Wed, 11/27/13 4:45 AM (permalink)
                            If your putting chili or sauce on it will melt the cheese, if not, use what most of the doggers use, Cheese Whiz or a canned nacho cheese.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com