Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 102
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Mon, 11/18/13 5:18 PM (permalink)
jman

To me, it's amazing that anyone would think that what Stewart says about pizza deserves a thread at Roadfood.

I take it you have the "Miscellaneous - Off Topic & "Lighter Fare" forum filtered out?

Go take a look

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Mon, 11/18/13 6:20 PM (permalink)
    Michael, when you say Apizza, I wouldn't say what, I would say when!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17853
      Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Mon, 11/18/13 6:22 PM (permalink)
      Meet you at Jerry's in an hour.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
        Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Mon, 11/18/13 7:09 PM (permalink)
        jman

To me, it's amazing that anyone would think that what Stewart says about pizza deserves a thread at Roadfood.

Why? 

a)  Because I thought Stewart's rant was hilarious and most likely would be enjoyed by Roadfooders with either a sense of humor, or an opinion on Chicago vs. NYC pizza, or (hopefullly) both. 

(For some reaso - no doubt a perverse one - I am highly entertained by "rants":  Stewart, Lewis Black, Dennis Miller, Dennis Leary, Chevy Chase in the Vacation movies and Funny Farm, and the late, great Sam Kineson).

b)  Because I thought the topic might generate good humor, spirited exchanges, photos, and good information.  The proof of the pie is in the eating; here we are on page three.  Among other things I have learned is that there is such a thing as Milwaukee Pizza (which looks very much like its St. Louis cousin) and the correct term for square pieces:  The Tavern Cut.  And, I'll be checking out that thread that buffetbuster found to be so entertaining. 

Even though I considered the "Misc. - Food Related" forum, Stewart's rant was, after all, about pizza, so I put it here.

--------------------------

BTW: I am writing this in good humor and in a light spirit.  Unfortunately, cold print does not properly convey this.  But believe me, jman, if we were having this conversation over a beer we'd both be laughting our a$$es off. 

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
          Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Mon, 11/18/13 11:21 PM (permalink)
          Stewart tonight just said that since gay marriage is now legal in Hawaii, there is only one abomination left in Hawaii and even Chicagoans feel ham and pineapple on a pizza is just plain wrong!
          <message edited by MilwFoodlovers on Mon, 11/18/13 11:23 PM>

MetroplexJim

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 9:06 AM (permalink)
            MilwFoodlovers

Stewart tonight just said that since gay marriage is now legal in Hawaii, there is only one abomination left in Hawaii and even  Chicagoans feel ham and pineapple on a pizza is just plain wrong!

You beat me to the post!

Even though I Hawaiian pizza toppings:  extra cheese, carmelized pineapple, and Canadian Bacon on a thin, crisp crust , Stewart's comment still made me laugh.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1059
              Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 9:33 AM (permalink)
              Roger on the pineapple but just try getting a pizza from the pizza in Loudwater UK that doesn't have corn on it. Chicagoans might like that since their deep dish is more like a casserole anyway. HAH! 

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 9:57 AM (permalink)
                <intolerance>
                all real bbq is pork, as everyone knows, so of course all brisket is just glorified lunchmeat
                </intolerance>

MetroplexJim

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
                  TJ Jackson

<intolerance>
                  all real bbq is pork, as everyone knows, so of course all brisket is just glorified lunchmeat
                  </intolerance>

It is true that the real, genuine, and original barbecue is Eastern Carolina minced whole hog.

And, I must credit both Jewish Delis and Texas pitmasters for the time, care, skill, and technique they employ in converting a cheap cut of beef into something that is really quite tasty.  But, I will also commend only the Delis for 'truth in labeling'.

Since "barbecue" and "BBQ" were never trademarked, the misguided Texans are merely exercising their First Amendment right.  So, I'll cite Texans - like Chicagoans with their 'pizza' - as merely being confused rather than malignantly Orwellian in these instances.

All that said, I am not intolerant; I am merely a stickler for a language that is quickly and ominously becoming Orwellian.  I, in fact, find both Texas Smoked Beef and Chicago Tomato & Cheese Casserole to be really quite tasty. 

God Bless America!

(BTW: properly, barbecue is a noun, not a verb. )

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 10:48 AM (permalink)
                    Barbecue as a noun is used most typically in the South.
                    http://www.roadfood.com/F...n-or-verb-m103367.aspx

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1059
                      Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
                      This is getting funnier by the post.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
                        Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 11:15 AM (permalink)
                        brisketboy

This is getting funnier by the post.

You must mean something different than I do when you say "Funnier."

DT

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                          Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 11:24 AM (permalink)
                          I think in Gary, Indiana, the birthplace of pizza, barbecue is a verb. 

MilwFoodlovers

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 11:39 AM (permalink)
                            lleechef

I think in Gary, Indiana, the birthplace of pizza, barbecue is a verb. 

MetroplexJim

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 11:41 AM (permalink)
                              lleechef

I think ... barbecue is a verb.

Sad, but understandible. 

After I left "our Mother Fair" I went South to continue my education; you went to France to continue yours.

(And, in fairness, I must also note that in our Pittsburgh youth "barbecuing" always involved a charcoal grill).
                              <message edited by MetroplexJim on Tue, 11/19/13 11:43 AM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/19/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                Why sure!  "Are yinz barbecuin steaks for supper?"
                                Or in French: "On va faire une barbecue!"
                                Sheesh, it's so simple.  Even the folks in Gary know that.

MetroplexJim

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Thu, 11/21/13 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                  Last night Jon Stewart bowed to the pressure put on him by Chicagoans and explained scientifically why NYC Pizza is superior:  It's Magic!

(Spoiler alert:  At the end, Stewart takes a bite of Chicago "Pizza" and concedes that it is "tasty"). 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Thu, 11/21/13 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                    Cheesy NY accent?

Discount Daaa-ble Check.
                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 11/21/13 9:30 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                      Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Thu, 11/21/13 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                      Good stuff!  I'm not surprised that a Chicagoan took advantage of the marketing opportunity.  It's also a chance for Mike Ditka to show up on set with a plate of cheese and ask, "Want to guess where it's from?"

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1598
                                        Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Thu, 11/21/13 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                        Next stop: Calf.?

MetroplexJim

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Thu, 11/21/13 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                          cavandre

Yeah, sure. 
                                          After all, nothing says "pizza" like a fat-free white pie on a gluten-free crust topped with poached, organic free-range chicken breast and arugula washed down with a lovely sulfite-free Chardonnay!
                                          <message edited by MetroplexJim on Thu, 11/21/13 6:20 PM>

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
                                            Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Fri, 11/22/13 8:13 AM (permalink)
                                            It has to be pizza, you don't drink beer with casserole...........

Michael Hoffman

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Fri, 11/22/13 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                              You do at my house.

Bonk

• Total Posts: 505
                                                Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 11/26/13 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                                Just catching up on this thread. Normally Roadfood -- for all its great qualities -- is not known for its sense of humor, but am definitely enjoying this thread.

Thank you brisketboy for immediately correcting the "Chicago-style" stereotype. I grew up in the northwest suburbs and never even tried the stuff until I was an adult.

The best thing about the Chicago area is I didn't realize chains existed until I moved away because they couldn't survive against the local mom-and-pops.

That said, I do like an occasional slice of Giordano's or Lou Malnati's, but that stuff does not reheat well. 

rexfullerupperville

• Total Posts: 7
                                                  Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 12/10/13 2:49 AM (permalink)
                                                  NY PIZZZA!! I miss NY :(

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3593
                                                    • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 12/10/13 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                                    MetroplexJim

cavandre

Yeah, sure. 
                                                    After all, nothing says "pizza" like a fat-free white pie on a gluten-free crust topped with poached, organic free-range chicken breast and arugula washed down with a lovely sulfite-free Chardonnay!

Boy, where can I find that? I've never had one here. I did have a good sausage and pepperoni pie last Friday though. Washed it down with a non-vintage Victory Feistbier. Now, that's pizza in California!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 12/10/13 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                                      Pepperoni? On an apizza? Pepperoni is for sandwiches.

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
                                                        • Location: La Crosse, WI
                                                        Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 12/10/13 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                                        MetroplexJim

MilwFoodlovers

Stewart tonight just said that since gay marriage is now legal in Hawaii, there is only one abomination left in Hawaii and even  Chicagoans feel ham and pineapple on a pizza is just plain wrong!

You beat me to the post!

Even though I Hawaiian pizza toppings:  extra cheese, carmelized pineapple, and Canadian Bacon on a thin, crisp crust , Stewart's comment still made me laugh.

Jim, your ingredients for Hawaiian doesn't include the sauce.  I didn't think pineapple would work at first, but liked it right away.  But in the beginning, here in the upper Midwest, my experience was that it had regular pizza sauce.

But lately it seems everyone wants to use barbeque sauce instead.  Seems like we're getting a lot of copycat recipes as the idea spreads.

Not for me, I like it with regular.  But I wonder if it's not getting mixed up with barbecue chicken pizza.  Both of them hit central Wisconsin (says me, the 'expert'), in the early 90's.  I like 'em both just fine.  And all those other kinds too.

Never been to Connecticut, but I'd sure like to have some appizas and tomato pies.

MilwFoodlovers

• Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                          Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 12/10/13 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          Shakey's had pineapple on a pizza maybe 30 years ago.

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take Tue, 12/10/13 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                                            I can remember seeing a pizzeria sign on U.S. 22 in New Jersey in 1965 advertising, among other things, apizza with pineapple on it. I remember that quite clearly for two reasons. First, I had never heard of such an abomination and second, I was driving to Charleston, West Virginia to start a job as news director at radio station WKAZ.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 102

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com