The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 116
MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1937
Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 5:31 PM (permalink)
I've eaten pancakes in top restaurants and hotels all over the country as well mom 'n pop shops, and there's nothing wrong with or cheap about IHOP's Harvest Grain 'N Nut pancakes.  Roadfood-reviewed Pancake Pantry is no slouch either. 
<message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 12/3/13 4:19 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 10:46 PM (permalink)
    WarToad

wanderingjew

I just can't see wasting even fake maple syrup on ICRAP I mean, IHOP....really??????seriously?????
    Completely agree.  If I'm going out for a cheap breakfast, I'm not expecting real maple syrup.
    Not to change the subject, but what makes you think IHOP is the place to go for a "cheap breakfast".  After years of avoidance, I went to the local franchise a while back out of late night necessity.  A short stack of pancakes and a side of hash browns ran me more than ten bucks, plus a tip.

In contrast, the same meal at the local Mom & Pop diner we usually frequent (only open daytime hours) would have cost me around $6.  Oh, and that diner tosses in a few complimentary hunks of grilled ham off the bone with every meal.

That was the last time I'll ever patronize IHOP, no matter how hungry I am, or how late the hour.

Buddy

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1502
      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 11:37 PM (permalink)
      TJ Jackson

Davydd

Actually no. It reaches a certain point and it can then instantly flash over to hard brittle sugar.

Interesting, I had no idea

Is it that the remaining liquid isn't water (and if so, what the heck is it?), or is it that the water remaining at that point is sucked inside (I lack the proper word(s) here) sugar crystals?

One of my memories of my long ago youth is a story about a young person helping out in the "sugaring off" barn where they had to add cream or something to help keep it from going brittle.  In the story, I think the "kid' falls asleep and the whole 20 hour process is ruined. became brittle burnt sugar.  Anyone else remember this story?

MellowRoast

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 8:40 AM (permalink)
        BuddyRoadhouse, you're right.  Although I love their Harvest Grain 'N Nut pancakes, IHOP can really put a dent in the wallet (the location I frequent also has spectacular service). On the other hand, there are several mom 'n pops locally where I can get a $5 breakfast that's as good as my grandmother's.  I probably tend to base my restaurant choices on the taste of individual menu items rather than the prices alone, but everyone has their likes and dislikes.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 8:56 AM (permalink)
          MellowRoast

I've eaten pancakes in top restaurants and hotels all over the country as well mom 'n pop shops, and there's nothing wrong with or cheap about IHOP's Harvest Grain 'N Nut pancakes.  Roadfood-reviewed  Pancake Pantry is no slouch either.  Would I rather have syrup from a tree or a laboratory?  I should think a tree.

I'm sorry, I can't take someone who previously said that "In and Out are the best burgers ever" seriously.... I guess some just have more discriminating tastes...
          On an aside, I live in a  small-medium sized city and although I  keep "normal" hours meaning I'm never out past 11pm or before 7am, I have never had to resort to going to chains...It is simply beyond mycomprehension why this is "such a problem" for others.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 9:14 AM (permalink)
            wanderingjew

On an aside, I live in a  small-medium sized city and although I  keep "normal" hours meaning I'm never out past 11pm or before 7am, I have never had to resort to going to chains...It is simply beyond mycomprehension why this is "such a problem" for others.

As Vincent Vega might say:
            Because Bojangles is good. Smashburger is good. Culver's is good.
            There may just be a reason that some single location restaurants remain single location restaurants.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 9:15 AM (permalink)
              BuddyRoadhouse

WarToad

wanderingjew

I just can't see wasting even fake maple syrup on ICRAP I mean, IHOP....really??????seriously?????
              Completely agree.  If I'm going out for a cheap breakfast, I'm not expecting real maple syrup.
              Not to change the subject, but what makes you think IHOP is the place to go for a "cheap breakfast".  After years of avoidance, I went to the local franchise a while back out of late night necessity.  A short stack of pancakes and a side of hash browns ran me more than ten bucks, plus a tip.

In contrast, the same meal at the local Mom & Pop diner we usually frequent (only open daytime hours) would have cost me around $6.  Oh, and that diner tosses in a few complimentary hunks of grilled ham off the bone with every meal.

That was the last time I'll ever patronize IHOP, no matter how hungry I am, or how late the hour.

Buddy

Oh, I know that diner well!

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 10:25 AM (permalink)
                BuddyRoadhouse

I've just never considered IHOP exactly upscale, being a chain and I've never really been impressed with them. 

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                  Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
                  Here is my photo tutorial for home made Maple syrup. I tap Sugar Maple Trees with these disposable bags.

This is a typical tap. Drill a 7/16” hole upward and insert. That clear liquid is sap that is almost the consistency of water and will leave just a very slight stickiness on your fingers if you touch it.

I use my old home brewing equipment to boil the sap down. I should make a shallow stainless steel pan and make a wood burning pit outside to save money. I have more wood than I can ever use. All day long I am continually adding sap to boil down in this pot.

When I reach a critical point where most of the water has boiled out and the temperature starts to rise I bring it inside and put it on the stove for precise observation, temperature monitoring and final jar filling.

Even the last bit boils down in the pot to this after about 18 hours from over 30 gallons. Now you know why Maple syrup is so expensive.

Some of my treasured stash poured off into sterilized canning jars. If you look back at the comparison photo I posted you’ll see I can produce Grade A syrup. One thing I didn’t do was filter it through a cheese cloth and you can see that difference in that previous photo.

<message edited by Davydd on Tue, 12/3/13 10:35 AM>

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1502
                    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 11:06 AM (permalink)
                    Davydd...a true work of art!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 4:08 PM (permalink)
                      Blue cheese dressing was mentioned earlier. Nobody around here that I know of charges extra for it anymore, but some just don't have it at all. IMO, it is just an option. Nobody complains that the steak costs more than the pork chop. Do you expect your "favorite" breakfast place to give up it's profit on your meal? I doubt that many places net $2 on a stack of pancakes.

....But then again, I used to pay for blue cheese dressing,  now I get it for "free" , so I guess that those who order a cheaper dressing are subsidizing my blue cheese....I like that.
                      <message edited by tmiles on Tue, 12/3/13 4:11 PM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
                        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 4:32 PM (permalink)
                        Great post. Davydd. Nice to see that things like that can (and are) still be done at home.

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
                          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 4:51 PM (permalink)
                          I'd pay the extra $2.00 because I'd rather have maple syrup. I really don't want high fructose corn syrup or sugar water with a lot of additives. It's a lot like choosing city ham or country ham.

MellowRoast

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 4:56 PM (permalink)
                            Regarding Food & Wine's 25 Best Burgers list, I simply said: "Considering Julia Child was such huge fan of In-N-Out, along with countless other chefs, I'll concur it belongs on the list."  And I still concur, even though I never said it was the best burger ever.  If you're asserting that Julia Child didn't have discriminating taste, well, I guess I'll have to take that under advisement.  While  I review the matter, I hope you'll consider a truce on this.
                            <message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 12/3/13 4:57 PM>

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/3/13 6:50 PM (permalink)
                              Fabulous post davydd!!!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 8:44 AM (permalink)
                                MellowRoast

Regarding Food & Wine's 25 Best Burgers list, I simply said: "Considering Julia Child was such huge fan of In-N-Out, along with countless other chefs, I'll concur it belongs on the list."  And I still concur, even though I never said it was the best burger ever.  If you're asserting that Julia Child didn't have discriminating taste, well, I guess I'll have to take that under advisement.  While  I review the matter, I hope you'll consider a truce on this.

Not to venture off the original topic, but didn't the late Julia Child specialize in French Cooking?  Her opinion of burgers doesn't really mean much to me.
                                In my little hamlet of East Greenwich RI, I can walk a square mile in any direction and find at least a handful of restaurants that serve burgers that would walk all over In and Out...That's not an opinion...it's a fact

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                  Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                  Dale, I've been to your house.  Only Jesus could walk a mile east from there.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                    Poverty Pete

Specifically North and South on Main street- (where Jigger's Diner is)

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
                                      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                      Dale
                                      As you well know, we don't even need to walk 1 mile to get to the Gahanna Grill where the burgers are much better than In-N-Out!!
                                      As I said before, I'm not a big fan of pancakes or waffles but I could be persuaded to swing by Davydd's house for some of that real maple syrup!  I put it in the cavity of butternut and acorn squash with a pat of butter.   

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
                                        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                        There's only one way to settle this. Dale and Lisa-----send me your best burger each. I will go to In-n-Out and have all three. We shall see!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 2:00 PM (permalink)
                                          Give me a break. In-n-Out is nothing but a fast food burger and not the best even in that category. WJ is right. You can do that almost anywhere and find much better burgers. In-n-Out benefits from the regional only mystique. In the past Krispy Kreme donuts and Coors Beer among two pulled off that schtick until they went national.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                            Davydd

Give me a break. In-n-Out is nothing but a fast food burger and not the best even in that category. WJ is right. You can do that almost anywhere and find much better burgers. In-n-Out benefits from the regional only mystique. In the past Krispy Kreme donuts and Coors Beer among two pulled off that schtick until they went national.

Wow!
                                            Davydd and I actually agree on something !

In all fairness, In and Out is a better than average  fast food burger, but certainly far from the best. On an overall scale of burgers from 1-10 it's "the perfect 5"
                                            Coors Beer on the other hand tasts like carbonated water...it's no different from Miller, Bud or similar products..
                                            Krispy Kreme no matter how "fresh" it is tastes like boiled sugar reduction.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 6:04 PM (permalink)
                                              wanderingjew

Davydd

Wow!
                                              Davydd and I actually agree on something !

WOW - Now I know why SNOpocolypse is coming this weekend!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 8:58 PM (permalink)
                                                wanderingjew

Poverty Pete

Specifically North and South on Main street- (where Jigger's Diner is)

Jigger's makes an excellent breakfast.  Hold the coffee milk.

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                  Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  wanderingjew

wanderingjew

In all fairness, In and Out is a better than average  fast food burger, but certainly far from the best. On an overall scale of burgers from 1-10 it's "the perfect 5"

wanderingjew

wanderingjew

On an aside, I live in a  small-medium sized city and although I  keep "normal" hours meaning I'm never out past 11pm or before 7am, I have never had to resort to going to chains...It is simply beyond my comprehension why this is "such a problem" for others.

Hmmmmm, for never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever having dined in a chain restaurant, WJ seems to be awfully familiar with chain restaurant offerings. I think thou doth protest ... no, this is more appropriate ... He who smelt it, dealt it!

Dale - Are you a closet CHAINER? It's okay to admit it.  We are a diverse online community at Roadfood.com and no one will hold it against you.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 9:55 PM (permalink)
                                                    JRPfeff

wanderingjew

wanderingjew

wanderingjew

wanderingjew

On an aside, I live in a  small-medium sized city and although I  keep "normal" hours meaning I'm never out past 11pm or before 7am, I have never had to resort to going to chains...It is simply beyond my comprehension why this is "such a problem" for others.

Hmmmmm, for never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever having dined in a chain restaurant, WJ seems to be awfully familiar with chain restaurant offerings. I think thou doth protest ... no, this is more appropriate ... He who smelt it, dealt it!

Dale - Are you a closet CHAINER? It's okay to admit it.  We are a diverse online community at Roadfood.com and no one will hold it against you.

Jim.....

Am I a closet chainer????? A resounding nooohhhh.....

If you'll look at one of my earlier trip reports from way way back in 2005, I ended up going to IHOP in St Augustine FL because that was the only place open that early for breakfast as I wanted to get to Miami by noon time... I swear....I have not been back to any IHOP since. This was in fact before 7AM as I needed to be on the road by 7 AM....

In and Out is or at least was a regional chain....If you will recall my Beach Bums and Beach Blondes Trip Report back in 2009 I strictly went there for the sake of research... 

Back in 2002 I was on a business trip to Phoenix...I had never had Krispy Kreme before... Someone brought them into the office  (hot and fresh) . I was curious...were they as incredibly amazing as everyone made them out to be??? Well you know my answer...

Now have I been to chains in the past....well, my ex girlfriend forced me to go to Applebees back in 2010 with her kids... I drank.............................................and that's the reason why she's an ex girlfriend...Actually we have our own buffetbuster to thank for the "straw that broke the camels back"

Last year we had a very infrequent guys night out at Cheese Cake Factory... I begrudgingly agreed and only because I chose the previous  spot 6 months earlier....After our very disappointing meal...I let out multiple resounding "I told you so's"....I have not been invited back to a guys night out ever since (only kidding!) We had our last guy's night out at McCoy Stadium this past August.....

So... am I a closet "chainaholic?" you decide..............

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      Dale,

I think the trash talk on this thread should stop and the thread be allowed to get back on topic - paying extra for real maple syrup.

Your posts did get me thinking of starting a new thread to address chain vs. Mom & Pop restaurant quality. Most non-chains are rubbish... it's a fact. That's why books and a website are needed to point out the good ones.

Jim

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Wed, 12/4/13 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                                        JRPfeff

Dale,

Your posts did get me thinking of starting a new thread to address chain vs. Mom & Pop restaurant quality.

That sounds like a great idea...

JRPfeff

Most non-chains are rubbish...
                                                        Jim

I don't know...I only go to the good ones...

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/5/13 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                                          My Mom was a fabulous cook-often compared to Julia Child( and no-Julia wasn't exclusively a French chef)But boy oh boy, did she enjoy a Mcdonalds cheeseburger and shake on occasion.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                            • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/5/13 8:48 AM (permalink)
                                                            And yes-I would pay extra for real maple syrup.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 116

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com