The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think?

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 116 of 116
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7742
Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/5/13 11:47 AM (permalink)
12/17 is National Maple Syrup Day.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/5/13 12:43 PM (permalink)
    This is what I will be making that day 
    Maple Cream Pie

Make 2 graham cracker crusts and put in 9 inch pie plates and bake as directed on graham cracker box.  Let cool.

Filling
    1/4 cup corn starch
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1 1/2 cups grade B maple syrup
    dash of salt
    4 beaten egg yolks
    2 tablespoons butter

Mix first four ingredients and cook over double boiler until thickened.  Stir a few times while cooking This takes about 20 minutes.  Then add a few tablespoons to beaten egg yols and stir.  Return the egg mixture  (slowly)  to the maple mixture and cook 2 more minutes Remove from heat and stir in the 2 tablespoons butter.  Refrigerate until cold. 

1 pint heavy cream
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Whip cream until stiff and fold half of it into the cold maple mixture.  Divide the filling between the two crusts.  Add the sugar and vanilla to the remaining whipped cream and decorate the tops of the the pies.  You can also put some walnut halves  (if desired) to the top of the whipped cream. "A must try" for pie lovers!
    <message edited by Greymo on Thu, 12/5/13 12:45 PM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/5/13 3:00 PM (permalink)
      If you can get up to Minnesota's North Shore to The Pie Place in Grand Marais you can partake in this Maple Cream pie. They had over two feet of snow yesterday so it might be difficult.

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/5/13 9:47 PM (permalink)
        It is very expensive to buy in the store in CA so cannot blame the owners for charging more...the question is how much do you get for how much? Was at a fru fru place with coworkers in bay area years ago (would never have picked it myself- do not remember where) and paid two fifty  for what turned out to be about a large  thimblefull-told them I thought it was ridiculous ,they gave me another large  thimbleful but by then the french toast was  cold  

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/19/13 12:56 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for the perspective on this, everyone. After reading this discussion, I agree with those who say to just raise the price for the menu item by $2 instead of making real syrup an extra item. I think what bothers me is not so much the price, but the idea that a quality restaurant that's already rather expensive would consider using fake syrup in the first place.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/19/13 3:08 PM (permalink)
            would gladly pay for real maple vs corn syrup

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1269
              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/19/13 3:58 PM (permalink)
              Davydd

If you can get up to Minnesota's North Shore to The Pie Place in Grand Marais you can partake in this Maple Cream pie. They had over two feet of snow yesterday so it might be difficult.

OMG!!!  Was this as wonderful as it looks??

grey - did you make that recipe you listed?  Maybe this should move over to the recipes/techniques thread...

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 12/19/13 6:41 PM (permalink)
                danimal15

Thanks for the perspective on this, everyone. After reading this discussion, I agree with those who say to just raise the price for the menu item by $2 instead of making real syrup an extra item. I think what bothers me is not so much the price, but the idea that a quality restaurant that's already rather expensive would consider using fake syrup in the first place.
                  I do not think that you realize how expensive it is to produce maple syrup.  My daughter in laws dad produced 315 gallons of maple syrup this year..............his all time record..  However, because of buying new equipment, he did not make a penny.

I do not care about the quality of a restaurant; you will have to pay for real maple syrup, and believe me, it will be not all you want to pour!

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                  Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 12/24/13 12:01 AM (permalink)
                  I wouldnt pay the extra for it. Although the real maple syrup is great tasting, the fake stuff is good enough for me.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
                    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 7:18 AM (permalink)
                    Well, it looks like there are changes in maple syrup grading and production...

https://www.yahoo.com/food/maple-syrups-whole-world-is-changing-75523018681.html

As far as the grading system is concerned, I'd prefer that they leave it alone.
                    <message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 02/4/14 7:19 AM>

love2bake

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 10:28 AM (permalink)
                      Hmmm... so Vermont is changing its grading system, but what about everyone else, I wonder??  Are they expected to follow, and will they?  The industry is a whole lot bigger than Vermont...

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6207
                        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 10:42 AM (permalink)
                        I used the last of the bottle of Grade A Dark Amber last night on butternut squash.  What does that translate to on the new grading system, I wonder?

CCinNJ

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 10:56 AM (permalink)
                          Syrup will be differentiated by a "descriptor" based on color... clarity and taste:

Grade A Light - Golden/Delicate Taste - Grade A Medium - Amber/Rich Taste - Grade A Dark Dark/Robust Taste and Grade B now Grade A - Very Dark/Strong Taste.

Some Sugarmakers will resist the new system.
                          <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 02/4/14 11:12 AM>

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 11:15 AM (permalink)
                            Maple-leaf-shaped  maple sugar candy is readily available in the duty free shops in the Montreal and Toronto airports, and probably other airports in Canada, too.  I often see it in hotel gift shops in Canadian ciites as well.

MellowRoast

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 2:10 PM (permalink)
                              Love2bake, that's my point.  Such efforts result in confusion everywhere.  The pork industry's move to change the name of pork cuts may prove to be another example.

Davydd

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                Maple syrup is pretty much the same no matter what the current grading system. It is mostly an appearance grading. They are all 100% Maple syrup and they all have pretty much the same sugar content and viscosity. My experience is the darker does not mean more robust. So, if they are changing the grading it is just from appearance to perception.

I do think it is interesting their discovery about lopped off saplings and sap flow. That could create dense fields of cultivated saplings to produce syrup. The labor and time is still the same so it won't cheapen it much other than they potentially could produce more with automated systems. I wonder if this will be like a comparison of natural harvested wild rice and cultivated. Cultivated wild rice is a recent phenomenon.

CCinNJ

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 6:39 PM (permalink)
                                  I decided to make maple candy today with the excellent Deep Mountain Maple Vermont maple syrup I have from Union Square Greenmarket.

Somebody stop me.

Davydd

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                    on the candy.

I've only made Maple candy by accident...once. It happens very fast when you are trying to boil down sap to syrup. It is kind of frustrating considering an all-day boil just to get to syrup.

love2bake

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/4/14 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                      Mellow - the move to rename all these cuts of meat is so pathetic.  But that's a different thread.

What a yummy project, CC!!

Davydd - you're my hero for actually making maple syrup!  Going somewhere in maple country during sugaring season is on my bucket list.

CCinNJ

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 02/6/14 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                        Thank you! It was a fun project & it must be so challenging to handle & manage a big pot of syrup....all day!

Davydd...I hope it was only a part of the syrup collection that turned to candy!

plb

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Sun, 02/9/14 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                          Harry's Roadhouse, an official Roadfood restaurant in Santa Fe charges an extra $2.00. I'm glad I did not order it this morning, it would have overwhelmed the mild taste of the blue corn waffles.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                                            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Sun, 02/9/14 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                            I wouldn't, not because I don't like it; I really do.  But because so many restaurant pancakes aren't worthy of real maple syrup to start with....

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 02/11/14 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                              Well I would hate for them to up the price of the pancakes to include real maple syrup. I ask for sugar free anyway (which some places used to charge extra for)

TomEN

• Total Posts: 34
                                                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 03/3/14 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                                I tend to think that it is crazy.  I would not pay the extra for it.  $2 is pretty steep to be charging this.

Davydd

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 03/4/14 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                                  The Pie Place in Grand Marais, MN had real (and local) maple syrup listed on its menu as a 75 cent upcharge.

MellowRoast

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Tue, 03/4/14 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                                    Davydd, I'd pay it.  That's unusually reasonable.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                      Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 116 of 116

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com