Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Country Ham Buying Guide

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44
scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 2:02 PM (permalink)
1) Colonel Bill Newsom’s Aged Kentucky Country Hams. Princeton, Kentucky, western part of the state. From the website “Newsom's ham was honored to participate in the 5th World Congress of Dry Cured Hams in Aracena, Spain, in May '09 and a two-year-old Newsom's ham was encased for continuing display in the Jamon Museum there... the only ham in the United States of America to be invited.”

Newsom's was established January 1, 1917, by H.C. Newsom. The business is now into year 96.

208 East Main Street, Princeton, Ky. 42445 ... Phone: 270-365-2482  M-F 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST and Sat. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. CST) ... e-mail: newsomsham@yahoo.com

2) Broadbent’s. Kuttawa, Kentucky, western part of the state. Est. 1901. In 2010 a Broadbent ham brought 1.6 million dollars at the big ham auction in Louisville. From the website: On Feb. 27, 1974, the late James Beard wrote in his column, “It was only lately, while in Kentucky, that I became acquainted with these superb hams. There’s a company called Broadbent-Bingham that sells cured and aged country hams. If you visit them, you can also buy extraordinarily good ham hocks, thick ham steaks and hams, all cured the same way. I carried back a cooked ham for Thanksgiving which was much admired by all who tasted it”.

Winning a total of 15 Grand Champion Kentucky State Fair Ham Competitions since 1967, including being named Grand Champion six times since 2004. The American Association of Mean Processors has named Broadbent’s National Grand Champion Winners four of the last five years. 900 lb gorilla of country hams.

257 Mary Blue Road, Kuttawa, Ky. 42055. 1-800-841-2202. www.broadbenthams.com. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

3) Finchville Farms. Halfway between Lexington and Louisville. Est 1947. From the website: “Finchville hams are still cured and processed using the same recipe from 1947. In an age of fast food and artificial preservatives, these country hams are cured with only salt, peppers and brown sugar. All natural ingredients used throughout the centuries to preserve food before refrigeration”

Seen on Food Nation on the Food Network

5157 Taylorsville Rd, Finchville, KY 40022 (502) 834-7952

4) Scott Hams. Western part of the state. Est. 1910. From the website. 16 time national champion ham award. 2009 ham sold for 1.3 million dollars at the big ham auction in Louisville.

1301 Scott Road Greenville, KY 42345. Phone: (270) 338-3402 Phone: 1-800-318-8881
Email: scotthams@muhlon.com Website: www.scotthams.com 8am till 4:30 Monday thru Friday. 8-noon on Saturday. Closed Sundays.

5) Meacham Country Hams. Western part of the state. Est. 1932. The web page shows this concern to sell a lot more than just ham. They’ve got all manners of bourbon balls, jams, chow chow relishes and what have you in addition to smoked meats.

From the pen of Evelyn Meacham “Not unlike a fine wine, a good country ham can’t be rushed; it needs to age slowly and naturally. In 1932 William Meacham began curing hams for his family and friends using the cure handed down in the Meacham family for generations. When people tasted his ham, the word spread that he had a ham to delight the country ham connoisseur. “

Amen sister.

705 O’Nan Dyer Road Sturgis Kentucky 42459.  Mon-Friday 8:30-3pm. Open on Saturday during the holiday season. 800-552-3190

6) Father’s Country Hams. Western part of the state. Est 1959 with historical antecedents stretching back to the 1800s. In addition to country hams Father’s also sells 15 different kinds of bacon. Vanilla bourbon bacon? I like mine with salt and pepper but to each his own.

All the meats are dry cured the old fashioned way. Watching a youtube video from the business, I learned that you can take a pack of the cryo-vacced bacon and leave it on a counter for 90 days with no ill effect. That’s a serious cure.

6313 Kentucky 81, Bremen, KY 42325 (270) 525-3554 mon-fri 7am-3pm Sat 8am-noon.

7) Harper’s Country Hams. Western part of the state. Est. 1951. I wrote about Harper’s earlier this year when they had the winning entry in the big ham contest in Louisville. Their ham brought in 350k. A pittance compared to some years but still respectable. A fire destroyed the business in the late 70s but the family fought back and now they’re bigger than ever.Compared to a lot of the other ham producers, Harper’s product line is brief but apparently they’re about to launch a double smoked bacon.

2955 U.S. Hwy. 51 N. Clinton, KY 42031. 1-888-427-7377 Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

8) Browning’s Country Hams. Northern part of the state; east of I-75. Est. 1970. The business was sold by the Browning family in 2011 to David Sponcil, and has been moved from Paris, in Central Kentucky, to Dry Ridge. In addition to curing hams, the new Browning’s also churns and produces their own cheeses.

475 Sherman Newtown Road, Dry Ridge, KY 41035 859.948.4426  

9) Penn’s Country Hams. Central part of the state. Est 1957. Founded by Donald Penn who used an old time country ham recipe and proceeded to sell the meat out of his general store in Mannsville. Very little information on this business, which to my mind is good. Phone: (270) 465-5065 Email: pennshams@aol.com 8850 Liberty Road, Campbellsville, Kentucky 42718 8am-6pm Mon-Sat

10) Jim David Meats. Western part of the state. Est.1991. They boast of their salads which frightens the country ham lover in me. They also have an enormous line of prepared foods.196 Hodgins Rd Uniontown Ky 42461  (270) 882-4866  6 A.M to 5 P.M Mon-Fri 8A.M to 1 P.M Saturdays

11) Ballance Country Hams. Western part of the state. Est. 1948. Closed 2007.

12) University of Kentucky Butcher Shop. A collaboration between UK’s College of Agriculture and UK Dining Service. Central part of the state.  Est 2013. A brand new butchery that is practicing old school techniques in the heart of Lexington, Kentucky at the University. All butchered animals were grown on Kentucky soil.  Gregg Rentfrow, 859-257-7550. The UK butcher shop is open Wednesdays and Fridays from 1 to 5 p.m. It's behind Garrigus Hall, next to the loading dock. Garrigus Hall is on Cooper Drive, near the intersection with South Limestone. http://ukcc.uky.edu/cgi-bin/mapper?maps.391+campus+s=1+m=0+x=07+y=07 Building number 215 on the hotlinked map.

backstory + pic of a cooked ham from Benton's in Madisonville TN http://chowpapi.com/wordp...ntry-ham-buying-guide/

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
    Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 2:19 PM (permalink)
    Those are some very reasonably priced hunks of porky love!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
      Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 4:22 PM (permalink)
      I've been a Broadbent customer for nearly forty years.  A few years ago, they moved to Kuttawa from Cadiz, Ky.
      Anyone who has ever been to the Country Ham Festival in Cadiz knows how special that can be. 
      I'm convinced Broadbent is the best ham, bacon and sausage in the USA.  I have a two pound sleeve of pepper sausage in my reefer at the moment,  but I doubt it will last the weekend.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
        Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 4:43 PM (permalink)
        I've been to Cadiz and I've been to Kuttawa. I never heard of the Country Ham Festival, and I'd never heard of Broadbent. I was in Cadiz at the Knight and Hale game call factory, and Kuttawa to get a houseboat for a couple of weeks on Kentucky Lake (the Tennessee River) and Lake Barkley. You must be making all this up.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 8:09 PM (permalink)
          PP, Bushie, Jan and I visited Cadiz to see the Ham Festival a few years ago..Fun time but we were TTM'd trying to find ham at the Festival... So we went to the Broadbent Outlet Store and chowed down on snack packs and various pork products.

BTW  I woud put Alan Benton's Tennessee Hams and Bacon in a dead-heat at the top of my list...tied with Broadbent  !!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 8:41 PM (permalink)
            I tried to order stuff from Benton's a little over a month ago as Christmas gifts, and they couldn't guarantee delivery this year, let alone for Christmas.

Poverty Pete

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 8:55 PM (permalink)
              There is an outlet in Nashville for Alan Benton's products.
              I wanted to take Buffetbuster and Mariton to Mitchell's Deli last week, but they were in the process of relocating to a new building.  Besides having Benton's bacon on the breakfast menu, the bacon is available for $12 a pound.  Benton's prociutto is $17.  Al and I have purchased the prociutto directly from Benton for $7,  unsliced.
              Mitchell's also has Sprecher's soft drinks on draft, serve yourself in the dining area.  Al, you need to visit this place...Root beer, cherry cola, orange soda, creme soda, and more.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 9:02 PM (permalink)
                Well, if you need to have it sliced I just happen to have an electric slicer. I don't charge much.

Poverty Pete

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Wed, 12/11/13 9:23 PM (permalink)
                  We used Al's penknife, in a motel room in Sweetwater.  It wasn't a pretty sight, but we got the job done.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                    Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/12/13 11:57 AM (permalink)
                    I bought Newsom's "Preacher Ham" last year, excellent Ham!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/12/13 5:38 PM (permalink)
                      MH- The Penknife that PP refers to is my 55 year old KaBar. No telling what else it has sliced over the years, but it did  "do the job".

Michael Hoffman

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/12/13 5:41 PM (permalink)
                        Now that's what I call a penknife. You could hunt Russian boar with one of those things.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/12/13 8:08 PM (permalink)
                          Bobs cousin visited us from Raleigh, NC one Christmas and brought us a gorgeous country ham......huge, and we ate off of it for months. I will have to find out which brand.........

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                            Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/13/13 6:35 PM (permalink)
                            For the last 35 or 40 years, our family has always purchased Meacham Country Hams.  It's just down the road from me, about a 30 minute drive.  Meacham supplies The Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg, Kentucky with their country hams.

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
                              Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Sat, 12/14/13 8:08 AM (permalink)
                              Michael Hoffman

I tried to order stuff from Benton's a little over a month ago as Christmas gifts, and they couldn't guarantee delivery this year, let alone for Christmas.

I called ahead before I ordered a country ham on Nov. 18 and was told there was at least a 5 week wait but to put a request in the order comment box for delivery before Christmas. I received a shipping notice yesterday and it is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. That's great customer service!
                              No, I wouldn't have ordered it if it was a gift. Also, I have a Scott's country ham hanging in the closet so I had nothing to lose.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Sat, 12/14/13 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                Poverty Pete

I've been a Broadbent customer for nearly forty years.  A few years ago, they moved to Kuttawa from Cadiz, Ky.
                                Anyone who has ever been to the Country Ham Festival in Cadiz knows how special that can be. 
                                I'm convinced Broadbent is the best ham, bacon and sausage in the USA.  I have a two pound sleeve of pepper sausage in my reefer at the moment,  but I doubt it will last the weekend.
                                I had my first taste of a Broadbent ham over Thanksgiving. I've lived all over the South and have tried numerous varieties from the "country ham famous" states. Broadbent was by the far the best I've ever had. My wife had been a "city ham" woman all her life and has not stopped talking about the Broadbent.
                                http://www.broadbenthams.com/

scrumptiouschef

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/19/13 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                  Who's bought their country ham for the holiday feasting? What was your source?

Pancho

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/19/13 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                    scrumptiouschef

Who's bought their country ham for the holiday feasting? What was your source?
                                    I ordered one from Broadbent for Thanksgiving. It was here in three days. Best country ham I've ever had.
                                    http://www.broadbenthams.com/

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                      Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/19/13 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                      Poverty Pete

How far & how much Drive Time would it be from Franklin TN Pete?

Pancho

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/19/13 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                        Foodbme

Poverty Pete

Since I know, I'll answer for Pete...it's right at 2 hours just up I-24W all the way.

Poverty Pete

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/19/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                          Pancho

Foodbme

Poverty Pete

Since I know, I'll answer for Pete...it's right at 2 hours just up I-24W all the way.

Right on the money, Pancho.  Two hours from Franklin will do it.  The Broadbent outlet there also serves sandwiches and snacks.  They still have the outlet in Cadiz, which is 30 or 40 miles closer to Nashville, if all you're doing is picking up the product.  If I were going up that way, I'd try to get to Knockum Hill for lunch, then hit the Broadbent store on the way back.

Pancho

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Thu, 12/19/13 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                            Poverty Pete

Pancho

Foodbme

Poverty Pete

Right on the money, Pancho.  Two hours from Franklin will do it.  The Broadbent outlet there also serves sandwiches and snacks.  They still have the outlet in Cadiz, which is 30 or 40 miles closer to Nashville, if all you're doing is picking up the product.  If I were going up that way, I'd try to get to Knockum Hill for lunch, then hit the Broadbent store on the way back.
                                            Hey Pete...what ham do you generally get from Broadbent? I got a 4.5-5 lb. semi-boneless cooked this last time. There's just the two of us, and we had plenty for a few days. Are the uncooked more flavorful? I almost felt like I was cheating it was so easy just to warm up. Open for suggestions and I sure do agree with you about Broadbent. I even sent them a thank-you note telling them how much we liked it.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                              An uncooked, fully cured country ham provides far more pleasure than it's brethren. But, and it's a big but; you have to breathe life into the brick hard beast. Here's how http://www.scrumptiousche...to-A-Cured-Country-Ham

Poverty Pete

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                                I always go with the Grand Champion uncooked ham, sliced and repackaged, two or three slices to a pack.  That way, I get the real McCoy, with no waste.  I also highly recommend the breakfast sausage, and the pepper bacon is to die for.

Sundancer7

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  scrumptiouschef

An uncooked, fully cured country ham provides far more pleasure than it's brethren. But, and it's a big but; you have to breathe life into the brick hard beast. Here's how http://www.scrumptiousche...to-A-Cured-Country-Ham

Very good info.  I always viewed country ham a bit like jerky and the info you provided gave me a totally different view.
                                                  Thanks
                                                  Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

scrumptiouschef

Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                                    Can't wait to run down to Madisonville and visit a spell with Allan Benton-and of course pick up a 16lb country ham and a big sack of grits.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                                      Chef,
                                                      When you stop in at Benton's, please pass on our personal greetings and Best Wishes to Allan. He is a fine gentleman who has built a reputation for providing excellent Pork to some of the better restaurants in the Eastern USA...Plus he is a very nice person to chat with and swap stories...Former Teacher's tend to be good talkers !
                                                      AL Bowen

Poverty Pete

• Location: Nashville, TN
                                                        Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                                        scrumptiouschef,
                                                           Are you familiar with Rice's hams, in Mt Juliet, Tn.?
                                                          I nearly always have one or more of their products in the house.  I especially like to use their hocks for cooking beans and split peas.

http://www.ricescountryhams.com/

scrumptiouschef

• Location: austin, TX
                                                          Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 6:57 PM (permalink)
                                                          I am now. Just watched a video with the patriarch. Good story.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
                                                            • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                            Re:Country Ham Buying Guide Fri, 12/20/13 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            Poverty Pete

scrumptiouschef,
                                                              Are you familiar with Rice's hams, in Mt Juliet, Tn.?
                                                            I nearly always have one or more of their products in the house.  I especially like to use their hocks for cooking beans and split peas.

http://www.ricescountryhams.com/

"Smoke House of Champions". I like that!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com