The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 3:40 PM (permalink)
Easiest way to start a heated discussion on Roadfood?
Just ask, "Who has the best pizza?"
Our friends at Zagat's just published another list similar to their "50 States, 50 Hamburgers" only this time for Pizza.
How does your state rank on this one?
http://www.zagat.com/b/50-state-50-pizzas?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=desktopboost#4

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
    Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 4:40 PM (permalink)
    I can see this one going nowhere fast....to me pizza is so subjective based on locality and regions. Narrowing it down to states is fairly fruitless, as having way to many choices and styles. New Haven/NYC (also Chicago to many) pizza certainly reigns among the best, but beyond that it is nearly impossible to narrow it down to each states best, IMHO. 

Foodbme

Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 6:32 PM (permalink)
      Wintahaba

I can see this one going nowhere fast....to me pizza is so subjective based on locality and regions. Narrowing it down to states is fairly fruitless, as having way to many choices and styles. New Haven/NYC (also Chicago to many) pizza certainly reigns among the best, but beyond that it is nearly impossible to narrow it down to each states best, IMHO. 

You didn't read very well.
      They NEVER said that they were each state's BEST pizza's.
      They only said they were an example of what was located in each state to be indicative of what could be found there as an example of a good pizza pie.
      Read it again:
      "...... we're touring the U.S. to find truly standout pies in every state. Whether it's regional specialties like Detroit deep dish or white clam pie in Connecticut, or unusual varieties like python pizza down in Florida, we've got something for every palate and every citizen in our slide show."
      They're saying "Standout" pies, not necessarily the best pies. They're telling you to make your own decision.
      <message edited by Foodbme on Fri, 01/24/14 6:37 PM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
        Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 6:37 PM (permalink)
        Foodbme

Wintahaba

They only said they were an example of what was located in each state to be indicative of what could be found there as an example of a good pizza pie.

Then I feel sorry for Iowans.

Foodbme

Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 6:39 PM (permalink)
          Davydd

Foodbme

Wintahaba

Then I feel sorry for Iowans.

I don't think anyone ever accused Iowa as being a Hotbed of Pizzadom!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
            Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 7:23 PM (permalink)
            So, National Geographic names this place "the best pizza in the world".

Last May I found myself within 25 miles and went.

Really, I can't argue; it was wonderful.

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
              Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 7:53 PM (permalink)
              @Foodbme, I apologize for my opinion....I did READ it, and I still feel those examples of pizza could be found anywhere across the USA...having lived in 9 state I unfortunately must have missed the best representatives of what was available. My mistake.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/24/14 8:27 PM (permalink)
                In Texas, two pizza joints make the best pizza, IMHO. Neither are "Texas" pizza. One is authentic Neapolitan style pizza. 
                In Dallas: Il Cane Rosso
                http://ilcanerosso.com/

The other, Real New York style in Austin.
                http://www.yelp.com/biz/360-pizza-austin
                http://atxpizza.com/

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Sat, 01/25/14 9:43 AM (permalink)
                  The Wisconsin choice sounds disgusting to me.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                    Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Sat, 01/25/14 9:56 AM (permalink)
                    ann peeples

The Wisconsin choice sounds disgusting to me.
                    I agree and it's too bad. I've been to that place in Door County and they have otherwise great pizza. Of the bunch give me the White Clam from Pepe's in Connecticut. I'd also like to give Florida's a shot. To think I used to live in the Everglades and never heard of one of these.

<message edited by Pancho on Sat, 01/25/14 10:03 AM>

Pancho

Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Sat, 01/25/14 9:59 AM (permalink)
                      MetroplexJim

Wow! Right out of Charlottesville....my best high school buddy's Dad in McLean was from Crozet. Thanks for the tip.

MetroplexJim

Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Sat, 01/25/14 12:49 PM (permalink)
                        Pancho

MetroplexJim

Wow! Right out of Charlottesville....my best high school buddy's Dad in McLean was from Crozet. Thanks for the tip.

Small world.  I went to U.Va., lived in McLean for many years, had an ex-wife who settled in Crozet, and have a daughter living in Charlottesville, but had never tried Crozet Pizza until visiting the area last May for my other daughter's wedding.  Even after hearing it praised here on Roadfood, my high expectations were exceeded. 

Pancho

Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Sat, 01/25/14 1:05 PM (permalink)
                          MetroplexJim

Pancho

MetroplexJim

Small world.  I went to U.Va., lived in McLean for many years, had an ex-wife who settled in Crozet, and have a daughter living in Charlottesville, but had never tried Crozet Pizza until visiting the area last May for my other daughter's wedding.  Even after hearing it praised here on Roadfood, my high expectations were exceeded. 
                          My buddy went to U.Va. as well...law school mid-60's. Martin Teel...he's a federal judge in DC now. Have you ever been to the C&O is C'ville?

<message edited by Pancho on Sat, 01/25/14 1:06 PM>

MetroplexJim

Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Sun, 01/26/14 12:22 PM (permalink)
                            Pancho

MetroplexJim

Pancho

MetroplexJim

My buddy went to U.Va. as well...law school mid-60's. Martin Teel...he's a federal judge in DC now. Have you ever been to the C&O is C'ville?

Both the C&O and the late, great Gaslight which was #1 in the '70's.  My first year there was the first where jackets and ties were not required.  Two years later they started admitting women as first yearmen.  It's been downhill ever since!

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                              Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Sun, 01/26/14 3:22 PM (permalink)
                              If you order giardiniera on your pizza in Chicago, it's probably going to be with Italian beef, not pepperoni. Still, the most typical pizza topping in Chicago is sausage ... on a THIN crust, tavern-cut pizza ...

Davebassman

• Total Posts: 116
                                Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Mon, 01/27/14 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                MetroplexJim

Indeed a small world. I went to VA. Tech , but had many friends at UVA. My sister taught high school at Western Albemarle HS in Crozet for many years (now retired). Never been to Crozet Pizza, but a must stop the next time I'm passing through. You mentioned the C&O restaurant in C'vile. I used to go there occasionally with my brother-in-law who was a partner in an architecture firm there. First place I ever had Guiness on tap (mid-70's)

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                  Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Tue, 01/28/14 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                  I live in New Jersey, and I think the choice on there for my state is pretty bizarre. I've never heard of a steak and french fry pizza (and it being representative of a good pizza). They don't get very good reviews either. Now the place in Delaware I'd like to try if I can figure out which one it is! The Ciao's that's listed on a review site I frequent and contribute to has comments that say, "This ISN'T the Ciao's featured on Zagat's" blah blah blah). Well, which one is? I do not see addresses on the Zagat list, and it would be nice to know which of the four different Ciao's in the Wilmington area it is! Anyone in that area know?

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                                    Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Thu, 01/30/14 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                    It says it is the one in Trolley Square in Wilmington.  I do not know if it is the same as the others in the area.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                      Re:50 STATES, 50 PIZZA'S! Fri, 01/31/14 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                      RC51Mike

It says it is the one in Trolley Square in Wilmington.  I do not know if it is the same as the others in the area.

Thanks much. We'll probably be going down to Delaware to walk in Bellevue State Park tomorrow or Sunday, but we just had a really good pizza from Wegman's up here in Mt. Laurel Wednesday night, so we'll have to think of something else down in that neck of the woods.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com