The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Charging DDs for fountain drinks

Bonk

• Total Posts: 505
Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 4:34 PM (permalink)
My wife and I alternate who gets to drink alcohol when we go out to dinner, and the one that isn't drinking typically gets a fountain pop. Some places charge for it and some don't, and it seems like more have been recently.

I know fountain pop costs literally pennies, so I guess I'm of the opinion that you don't pop (no pun intended) the person who's the designated driver $2 when two people are having a meal and one of them is having a couple of drinks.

I'll usually tip an extra $1 when I'm not charged for a pop.

Other than delivering pizzas 20 years ago in college I've never worked in the food industry, so I'm curious what you guys think.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2235
    Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 4:44 PM (permalink)
    I never thought of the DD being for two people. I thought it would be more for a larger party..........

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
      Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 4:48 PM (permalink)
      I never heard of a restaurant not charging for any non-alcoholic beverage other than water.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
        Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 4:50 PM (permalink)
        I think a Bib of Pepsi syrup costs me $70.00, the gas to carbonate it isn't free. Bottom line, Restaurants that give away freebies, won't be around long. free refills sure, that's already figured in, but n/c for a soda because your spouse is drinking alcohol, no way.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
          Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 4:51 PM (permalink)
          I never thought of it as something that happened at dinner. If there are only two of you, and only one of you is having just a couple of drinks, then how are they to know the other person is a DD as opposed to simply not having a drink? In that scenario, I think it's more a factor of a restaurant choosing to not charge for a soda regardless of why someone is choosing it instead of a cocktail. It'd be different if one of you was getting drunk, but most places and people don't consider a drink or two with dinner something that would require a DD. Even the guy doing my alcohol assessment after I got my DWI said he sometimes has a drink with dinner and then drives.

Many bars have a DD program, where the person who is the DD has a wristband, and drinks sodas free all night. I've never heard of that at a restaurant, though.
          <message edited by felix4067 on Sun, 01/26/14 4:52 PM>

Bonk

• Total Posts: 505
            Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 8:39 PM (permalink)
            OK, thanks for the feedback. It sounds like my thinking on the subject was wrong.

Like I'd said, it seemed like about half did that and half didn't but that number has dwindled recently. Maybe that's a Cincinnati thing.

I guess I should've pointed out that we often sit at the bar at places we frequent if there's no other seating (which is fairly often). Maybe that makes a difference. A lot of servers at the places we go regularly also know us and I've always tipped well.
            <message edited by Bonk on Sun, 01/26/14 8:47 PM>

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
              Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 9:56 PM (permalink)
              Bonk

OK, thanks for the feedback. It sounds like my thinking on the subject was wrong.

Like I'd said, it seemed like about half did that and half didn't but that number has dwindled recently. Maybe that's a Cincinnati thing.

I guess I should've pointed out that we often sit at the bar at places we frequent if there's no other seating (which is fairly often). Maybe that makes a difference. A lot of servers at the places we go regularly also know us and I've always tipped well.

I think the part about sitting at the bar and being a regular who tips well is what made the difference for you.  
              I have never heard of the free sodas/pop for a "DD" at a typical dinner situation.  I have seen it plenty of times at bars, especially if it's a larger group that are drinking. 

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Sun, 01/26/14 9:59 PM>

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
                Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 10:15 PM (permalink)
                Bonk

That's the big difference right there. A lot of servers will choose not to ring up a soft drink for someone they know even if they're supposed to charge for them. The last month I haven't been drinking when I go to my regular tavern because I'm on narcotics, and I'm not charged for my sodas. Which means my night there is free (I still give him money, because I'm not a horse's behind ), but if someone walks in only orders a soda without being a DD for a party of folks, they pay $1.50 for it.
                <message edited by felix4067 on Sun, 01/26/14 10:16 PM>

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                  Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Sun, 01/26/14 10:26 PM (permalink)
                  I came from a beer and wine drinking family, but never really liked either. When I was in college, I attempted to develop a taste for alcohol; that is when I discovered I can't metabolize it properly, and I get sick long before I would get drunk. It didn't stop me from going to bars with friends. When it came time to get a pitcher of beer for the table, I would offer to go up and get it. I'd order a pitcher and a soda, and the bartender pretty much always comped me with the soda. On the other hand, we were good tippers (especially for college aged people).

Punch line #1: Something which only people who grew up in New York City would understand: I didn't get a driver's license until I was 27. The term "designated driver" hadn't been invented back then, but it was commented frequently that the only member of the group who was in condition to drive couldn't.

Punch line #2: When I was 17, I looked like I was in my 20's. So, when I was in a state where the drinking age was 20, my 19 year old friends would send me to get beer; I was never carded.

Bart

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                    Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Mon, 01/27/14 12:40 AM (permalink)
                    How are restaurants & bars supposed to know you're a DD?
                    Unless you or someone else tells them, they just probably think you're a non-drinker or a recovering alcoholic!
                    If you told them, I'll bet your chances of getting Comped would be greater.
                    Bars/Restaurants appreciate DD's. Lessens their possibility of legal issues. 

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                      Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Mon, 01/27/14 7:26 AM (permalink)
                      OH heck   ... I thought from the title this was about girls showing their DDs for free drinks and pics were being posted ...  

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                        Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Mon, 01/27/14 9:23 AM (permalink)
                        edwmax

OH heck   ... I thought from the title this was about girls showing their DDs for free drinks and pics were being posted ...  

That's Ta Ta's, NOT DD's!

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                          Re:Charging DDs for fountain drinks Mon, 01/27/14 10:11 AM (permalink)
                          Foodbme

edwmax

That's Ta Ta's, NOT DD's!

They are when compared to A's & B's  ...   I think Ta Ta's are EE's. 

O Well  ... back to the topic of Drinking  ...
                          <message edited by edwmax on Mon, 01/27/14 10:12 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com