Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What are some of your favorite soups

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 125
MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1936
Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 1:18 PM (permalink)
There are ostensibly several types of vegetarians.  And you're correct about vegans, though lots of vegans will use honey.  I was vegan at one time and found it difficult to turn down some good honey. I have a close friend who also says fish is not meat.  But in my view, it's an animal and it's meat -- not grain, nut, legume,  vegetable, or fruit.

Blurred lines erupt again.   What is and isn't vegetarian, what is and isn't chili, what is and isn't vegan, what is and isn't conservative, and the beat goes on...

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
    Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 4:08 PM (permalink)

Italian wedding soup.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
      Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 4:25 PM (permalink)
      Yet another masterpiece!

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1936
        Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 4:28 PM (permalink)
        Beautiful, lleechef!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1502
          Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 4:32 PM (permalink)
          OK..had 4 large gallon hefty bags of snips and odds and ends of veggies sitting in the freezer.  Squash peelings and ends, a tomato that got soft, potato skins galore...un-eaten grean beans, carrots, onions with skins, a parsnip bit or two.....etc....you get the picture.

Threw it all into a large Caphalon Roasting pan, drizzled on some Olive oil and roasted at 450 for about 90 mins, turning every 15 mins or so

Then the "slop" went into a soup pot, loaded with some water to cover and after bring to an almost boil, let it simmer a cple of hours.  Strained through a colander and left to "meld" while I thought of what to do with it.

In the past, I put it in one cup containers and freeze to use with rice, pasta or gravy base.  I may add some garlic or thyme to it.

other ideas?
          <message edited by FriedClamFanatic on Wed, 02/12/14 4:33 PM>

Pancho

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 4:52 PM (permalink)
            I commend you for your non-wasteful ways. What does it taste like? I think your idea with the base use is great and adding garlic and thyme can only help. It'd be great for a beef or any kind of meat stew. Hey..FCF...do you know of a Pete Naylor in W. Chester? I worked with him on Cape Cod running a juvenile outward bound program.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
              Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 6:04 PM (permalink)
              lleechef

Italian wedding soup.

I don't see my spoon.

pineyhill

• Total Posts: 88
                Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 6:13 PM (permalink)
                My wife makes homemade soup, Chicken Noodle(homemade noodles), Chicken Gnocchi, Lentil, and my favorite Garden Vegetable and Beef soup(all veggies from our garden) she makes a huge batch then we freeze a good portion of it.

I want to throw a soup question  to the board, has anyone here tried the Soupman variety of soup?  This business has something to do with the Soup Nazi from the Seinfeld TV show.  Just curious to know if anyone here has tried it.It is in some grocery stores across the country....

http://originalsoupman.com/
                <message edited by pineyhill on Fri, 02/14/14 11:21 AM>

Turtle66

• Total Posts: 115
                  Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 10:48 PM (permalink)
                  Aguadito de Pollo! That soup is the BOMB!   

Turtle66

• Total Posts: 115
                    Re:What are some of your favorite soups Wed, 02/12/14 10:51 PM (permalink)
                    How do you delete a comment?   lol

<message edited by Turtle66 on Wed, 02/12/14 10:53 PM>

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
                      Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 8:18 AM (permalink)
                      Oh is that ever a good looking bowl of soup.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1502
                        Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 1:16 PM (permalink)
                        Pancho

I commend you for your non-wasteful ways. What does it taste like? I think your idea with the base use is great and adding garlic and thyme can only help. It'd be great for a beef or any kind of meat stew. Hey..FCF...do you know of a Pete Naylor in W. Chester? I worked with him on Cape Cod running a juvenile outward bound program.

Sorry...don't know him

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                          Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 4:37 PM (permalink)
                          That Italian Wedding Soup looks good enough to eat!

I started a pot of chicken noodle this afternoon while I'm snowed-in here in frigid, snowy, icy North Carolina. I also made Bran Bread, pizza sauce and pizza dough. Last night I made potato soup because it sounded good and warm for a snowed-in evening. We may be snowed-in tomorrow too --- so I've got taco soup thawing and plans to make chili if I'm home again. I'll have to use Italian sausage and breakfast country sausage in the chili - no ground beef in the freezer right now. I do have home-cooked small red beans for the chili in the freezer though.

Stay warm and safe everybody!

lleechef

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 5:19 PM (permalink)
                            We had Wedding Soup for lunch today.  It's 50 degrees and sunny.  Weird weather.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                              Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 5:49 PM (permalink)
                              tcrouzer

It was. We had it for lunch today.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 6:44 PM (permalink)
                                lleechef

We had Wedding Soup for lunch today.  It's 50 degrees and sunny.  Weird weather.

We're weird in Dallas as well. High 60's today and they're predicting 70's over the weekend with possibly 80 next Monday!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                  Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                  tcrouzer

Most definitely!  I think the last time I had Italian wedding soup was...at an Italian wedding.  When it comes up in conversation my friends and I still comment that as far as food goes it was one of the best any of us ever attended.
                                  <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Thu, 02/13/14 8:12 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                    Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 8:50 PM (permalink)
                                    I hope everyone is safe in the south and northeast. While this weather is nothing to us in Wisconsin, it is scary. Be safe!

lleechef

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                      ScreamingChicken

tcrouzer

Most definitely!  I think the last time I had Italian wedding soup was...at an Italian wedding.  When it comes up in conversation my friends and I still comment that as far as food goes it was one of the best any of us ever attended.

The strange thing about wedding soup is that it's never served at weddings in Italy!  It was a mistranslation of minestra maritata which means "married soup" in the sense that the flavor of meat and greens "marry" (taste) well together.
                                      Another interesting soup fact is that French onion soup is only served in France at weddings!  Usually around 2AM.........presumably to sober folks up.

tcrouzer

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Thu, 02/13/14 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                        Years ago I had a delicious Italian Wedding Soup at an Italian sub/pizza place just outside of Lititz PA. It was a cold, drizzly day and the soup was very hot and deliciously warming.

blue heaven

• Total Posts: 488
                                          Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 9:07 AM (permalink)
                                          Wow Pancho you have really travelled to some exciting places.

lleechef

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 10:21 AM (permalink)
                                            tcrouzer

Years ago I had a delicious Italian Wedding Soup at an Italian sub/pizza place just outside of Lititz PA. It was a cold, drizzly day and the soup was very hot and deliciously warming.

The Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in New Brighton, PA has wonderful wedding soup!  Go figure.......good soup in a hot dog joint.  Their chili is good too.

blue heaven

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                              Lisa that soup looks so good I can almost taste it.  Fried Clam Fanatic sounds like a good variety for a good vegetable stock.  I am from Washington Pa. originally where are you in relation to downtown Pittsburgh?

Pancho

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                                blue heaven

Wow Pancho you have really travelled to some exciting places.
                                                Yeah, I was a nomad before I met my wife....lived in 24 different states by age 40, and have been to ALL of them hitchhiking. BTW, FriedClamFanatic is in W. Chester which is about 30 miles or so west of Philly. (I used to live in Port Matilda, PA)

blue heaven

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                                  Pancho hitchhiking!  You sure are brave.  I have never heard of Matilda Pa.  I am closer to Pittsburgh than Philadelphia.

Pancho

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 11:17 AM (permalink)
                                                    blue heaven

Pancho hitchhiking!  You sure are brave.  I have never heard of Matilda Pa.  I am closer to Pittsburgh than Philadelphia.
                                                    It's a little burg just north of State College. I used to go trout fishing in Potter County, PA when I was a kid in Virginia. I have NEVER seen so many deer in my life as up there.

lleechef

Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                                      blue heaven

Lisa that soup looks so good I can almost taste it.  Fried Clam Fanatic sounds like a good variety for a good vegetable stock.  I am from Washington Pa. originally where are you in relation to downtown Pittsburgh?

Ah!  Little Washington as we call it!  I'm from Rochester in Beaver County. 

blue heaven

• Location: Pompano Beach, FL
                                                        Re:What are some of your favorite soups Fri, 02/14/14 1:04 PM (permalink)
                                                        Lisa that is exactly what we call it.  Cool I knew you were good people!  My sister lives in Canonsburg.  Small world.

Mak Jones

• Total Posts: 2
                                                          • Location: Scarborough, XX
                                                          Re:What are some of your favorite soups Tue, 02/25/14 2:25 AM (permalink)
                                                          Seafood Chowder will be the best one.....

tcrouzer

• Location: Burlington, NC
                                                            Re:What are some of your favorite soups Tue, 02/25/14 7:05 AM (permalink)
                                                            This past weekend I made a new recipe, Armenian Meatball soup that was quite good: beef broth and tomato sauce with some s&p and paprika and sauteed onion for flavor, tiny meatballs mixed with bulgur wheat, and 1 TB of raw rice added while the soup simmered. I made half the recipe which resulted in about 2 qts. of soup. I'll make this again!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 125

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com