Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Wetson's

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 76
pizzastoner

• Total Posts: 3
Wetson's Sat, 05/1/04 4:05 PM (permalink)
Another long gone chain, Wetson's. Anyone? It's so vague in my memory,I almost think I dreamt it.It was like Mickey D's, Only not as good.The one in my hometown, Stamford Ct. was closed after several food poisoning incidents. The location became a Nathan's, then a local hot dog stand, a bank, now Donut Delight the local Dunkin Donut nemesis.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
    RE: Wetson's Sat, 05/1/04 4:30 PM (permalink)
    Welcome pizzastoner!

Wetson's with the Big W. I do recall that they did not peel their fries and that they were quite tasty, but that takes me back some 30+ years. At least you still have the Colony for pizza.

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
      RE: Wetson's Sat, 05/1/04 6:01 PM (permalink)
      I had a friend that worked for them in New York. The owner was very generous. He raised a lot of money for Muscular Dystrophy. McD ate them alive. The food was very salty and not much different form McDonalds

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
        RE: Wetson's Sun, 05/2/04 9:52 AM (permalink)
        I remember as a kid growing up in Levittown, LI--Wetson's opened up on Hemptead Turnpike sometime around 1961, I think--it was the first, followed by a McD a few months later. Their burgers were 15 cents--I think cheeseburgers were 17 cents. My mother drove us over there, and the crowd was enormous. We didn't stick around, but went back a few weeks later. I remember that the burger was the tiniest thing I'd ever seen in a bun--I think the pickle slice was bigger. Didn't look anything like the photos.

Charlie

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
          RE: Wetson's Mon, 05/3/04 9:12 AM (permalink)
          Wetsons was my first introduction to fast food burgers and fries. In the early 1960's friends would pile into one of our cars and head to Wetsons on Morris Ave in Union. We we order numerous burgers, cheeseburgers and fries. I remember thinking it was the best thing since White Castle.

Nutty

• Total Posts: 2
            RE: Wetson's Thu, 05/27/04 2:02 PM (permalink)
            Perhaps my memory deceives me but none of today's major burger chains have burgers or fries that tasted as great as Wetsons. A while ago a Nathan's Vice President had informed me that Nathans ownded the Wetsons name and was toying with the idea of bringing back Wetson's burgers at their own location. Anyone know any more about this? Is there a reasonable facsimile out there? Nobody made shoestring fries skin-on like they did!

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
              RE: Wetson's Fri, 06/4/04 3:50 PM (permalink)
              I remember the Wetson's on Hempstead Tpk. on Long Island. Nothing special. Salty. Experience left no special longing to see a return of this mediocrity.

Tony Bad

RE: Wetson's Sun, 06/6/04 11:22 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

The one on Old Country Road in Hicksville became Titus Oaks Record store and retained the great Wetson's architecture. By the way, it was an awesome record store. You could buy pot from the hottie behind the counter!

I remember all of the things you describe...except the last part!!

We used to go there quite a bit as a kid until one day when my Dad unwrapped his burger and it had a bite out of it.

No more Wetsons...bummer!

Tony

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                  RE: Wetson's Mon, 07/12/04 4:13 PM (permalink)
                  I remember at least 2 Wetson's on Staten Island...one on Hylan Boulevard and BURGER Ave.The other was on Forest Ave. They were opened sometime in the mid 60's and were also my first introduction to fast food.

long dog

• Total Posts: 295
                    RE: Wetson's Mon, 07/12/04 7:55 PM (permalink)
                    anybody remember the one in Bridgeport CT on the corner of Boston Ave and Pembroke St ?

Phala

• Total Posts: 3
                      RE: Wetson's Wed, 07/21/04 3:59 PM (permalink)
                      There used to be a Wetson's in Stratford Connecticut on Main St. just north of Barnum Ave. across the street fro the A&P plaza. I used to go there in 1969 and 1970, I had a friend who used to live across the street from me who was a few years older than me (13) and he used to put a double cheeseburger in the foil and charge me only for a single!
                      Yes the price was 15 and 17 cents and I think they cost less than McDonalds which was part of the attraction. They went out of busines soon after and the location was vacant for a long time, then became a hair Salon, later an Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips restauraunt for a while. Now I think it is a real estate office or something. I don.t know as I have moved to florida. -Matthew

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                        RE: Wetson's Wed, 07/21/04 5:09 PM (permalink)
                        I grew up in Union,NJ(many moons ago) and I vagually remember the Wetson's. But HOWARD8,why not just head out to 5 points and go to the white castle or the Galloping Hill Inn? Wetsons was ok though,as these things go, nice people served you as well

long dog

RE: Wetson's Thu, 07/22/04 3:00 PM (permalink)
                          phala -

there's a 3 story medical building on Main St in Stratford where Wetson's used to be. The parcel that was next door to it was razed as well.

Steven Link

• Total Posts: 14
                            RE: Wetson's Mon, 07/26/04 8:30 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by pizzastoner

t was like Mickey D's, Only not as good.

true....but remember, in those days McDonald's was a lot better (tallow fries etc). So Wetson's then was pretty good...much better than McD's is today.

steaklover

• Total Posts: 85
                              RE: Wetson's Thu, 07/29/04 1:54 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by long dog

anybody remember the one in Bridgeport CT on the corner of Boston Ave and Pembroke St ?

I remember it. I think I preferred it over McDonalds just because it was a little bit different. In the mid-seventies it became a Taco Ranch, (I remember this because I'd just come back on leave from the service in California and it was the first taco place I'd ever seen in this area. Their food was pretty good and the combo deals were unbeatable. They had a Pina Colada soda that I always ordered.

It didn't last long. Last I remember, (I could be mistaken), the next property owner started building a diner that kept starting and stopping. I don't know if it was ever finished.

What's there now?

long dog

RE: Wetson's Thu, 07/29/04 8:21 PM (permalink)
                                I remember the Taco Ranch and the pina colada drink very well as I grew up around the block.

I don't go back to the old neighborhood often, but the property has been all fenced in for years, and there's no sign telling you what's going on in the building.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                  RE: Wetson's Thu, 07/29/04 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                  I don't know Wetson's...but I'll give my undying gratitude to ANYONE out there who remembers Lester Burger of California... they had a dorky looking crew cut, glasses wearing kid (kind of like a nerdy Bob's Big Boy) as their mascot.

Danmel

• Total Posts: 193
                                    RE: Wetson's Sat, 07/31/04 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                    Wetson's was big on Long Island in the early 70's. I was a little tyke, but I distinctly remember that my family would drive PAST McDonalds to get some Wetson's. The one on Old Country Road in Hicksville became Titus Oaks Record store and retained the great Wetson's architecture. By the way, it was an awesome record store. You could buy pot from the hottie behind the counter!

Jesus- I haven't thought about TItus Oaks in decades! Wow! There was a Wetson's on Ralph Ave and Church Ave on the corner of my street in Bklyn. Once it opened, my dad said- it's time to move! I remember going there when Sonny the Clown and Wendy his girlfriend made a personal appearance.

There was also a Wetson's near the big Brooklyn Public Library on Eastern Parkway. THey ahd an orange color scheme. Long time ago!

LaurieGee52

• Total Posts: 35
                                      RE: Wetson's Mon, 08/2/04 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                      I hadn't thought about "Wetson's" in a dog age...but you brought back a flood of memories...as a child growing up in Far Rockaway, N.Y....was my first introduction to fast-food burgers...being one of five children...we'd crowd into a station wagon and drive over to Inwood (next town over) on Beach Channel Drive....get their burgers...fries and malts.....just as Wetson's was being fazed out....in comes McDonald's.....

Nothing lasts forever I suppose...thanks for the memories!

LaurieGee52

mitros

• Total Posts: 4
                                        RE: Wetson's Sun, 02/20/05 11:43 PM (permalink)
                                        We had a Wetsons hamburger restaurant in Elizabeth, N.J., many, many years ago. What stood out to me was the fact that their french fries were made fresh on site. They had this huge electric potatoe peeler againest the left hand side of the kitchen, and you could see the operater making french fries out of actual potatoes!
                                        I also recall the yellow color of their hamburger buns,{the first potatoe buns?} I certainly, and IMHO, don't think that Mcdonalds was better. Whenever I go back to visit N.J., I still stop in and have a hot dog at the Nathan's that went up when they bought out Wetsons. And after White Castle, Wetsons was the first burger chain that I remmember.

Xwordster

• Total Posts: 5
                                          RE: Wetson's Tue, 02/22/05 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                          I remember Wetson's growing up on Long Island, but curiously have no recollection of the fries! I seem to recall you ordered from outside the store thru a window and usually ended up eating in your car...

aravella

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: Wetson's Tue, 03/8/05 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                            My father owned the Wetson's in Lake grove (Middle Country Rd by the Smith Haven Mall) in the 70's. My understanding was that the corporation had some "tax issues". The county closed all the stores one day and that was it for Wetson's. I do remeber most of the menu and they did have the competitions equals ie. "Big W" (Big Mac), "Super Burger" (Whopper), 1/4 Pounder's (I forget the fish sandwich...maybe "The Whaler"?). Anyway, it was fun going in and working (mostly eating...turned me into a fat little bastard that Wetson's did)

When I lived in Virginia Beach there were a couple of fast food places I remember, "Heap Big Beef" (Like Arby's) and "Carols" (Burger joint I think)

colt4x5

RE: Wetson's Tue, 03/8/05 11:12 PM (permalink)
                                              remember wetson's? i'll never forget!
                                              glen street in glen cove.
                                              right next to a movie theater.
                                              until the late 60s, the city supported three movie theaters (big, cavernous ones where the soundtracks echoed, not the ka-chunk cookie-cutter wannabes of nowadays), a wetson's and the greatest luncheonette on the island: henry's, where they made REAL burgers (as well as their own chocolate bunnies at easter).
                                              my brother hated henry's beause the burgers were too fat and juicy. he only ate burgers from wetson's. he wouldn't even eat a burger mom cooked, unless it was "just like wetson's" ... flat, gray, cooked to within an inch of its life and smothered with ketchup.
                                              wetson's was razed and is now a strip mall.
                                              the theater was razed and is now a gas station.

Tony Bad

RE: Wetson's Tue, 03/8/05 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by colt4x5

remember wetson's? i'll never forget!
                                                glen street in glen cove.
                                                right next to a movie theater.
                                                until the late 60s, the city supported three movie theaters (big, cavernous ones where the soundtracks echoed, not the ka-chunk cookie-cutter wannabes of nowadays), a wetson's and the greatest luncheonette on the island: henry's, where they made REAL burgers (as well as their own chocolate bunnies at easter).
                                                my brother hated henry's beause the burgers were too fat and juicy. he only ate burgers from wetson's. he wouldn't even eat a burger mom cooked, unless it was "just like wetson's" ... flat, gray, cooked to within an inch of its life and smothered with ketchup.
                                                wetson's was razed and is now a strip mall.
                                                the theater was razed and is now a gas station.

You left me in suspense...what happened to Henry's??? I used to work in Glen Cove about 20 years ago, and went there regularly for lunch. Haven't been that way in a while, but wondered about Henry's.

spaetzelboy

• Total Posts: 25
                                                  RE: Wetson's Fri, 03/11/05 8:28 AM (permalink)
                                                  Our Wetson's was on Woodhaven Blvd and Rockaway Blvd in Queens, NY. There was a White Castle about 3 blocks away, so we'd switch off.

Not too many memories about the taste of the burgers for me. What I do remember was the succession of ownership after the closing. It was the same for all of the Wetson's I was familiar with:

1.Wetson's
                                                  2.Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips (didn't last long)
                                                  3.Roy Rogers
                                                  4.Dunkin Donuts (current franchise)

Don't know what I'd do if White Castle went away. Can't pass it without stopping. I've taken to keeping Beano in my car now.

jgiralde

RE: Wetson's Tue, 03/29/05 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I don't know Wetson's...but I'll give my undying gratitude to ANYONE out there who remembers Lester Burger of California... they had a dorky looking crew cut, glasses wearing kid (kind of like a nerdy Bob's Big Boy) as their mascot.

Chiefb52430

• Location: lake ronkonkoma, NY
                                                      RE: Wetson's Fri, 04/15/05 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                                      I did a google search of Wetsons and this is how I found this great website.
                                                      there used to be a Wetsons on Deer Park ave. Between southern state and weeks road in North Babylon, across the street from Sunset City shopping center, I believe there is a wendy's there now in the pathmark shopping center. being that my Brothers and I grew up in the developement behind were pathmark is now we used to cut through the school field to get wetson on saturdays.....very nostalgic....thanks for the good memories

Tony Bad

RE: Wetson's Fri, 04/15/05 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Chiefb52430

I did a google search of Wetsons and this is how I found this great website.
                                                        there used to be a Wetsons on Deer Park ave. Between southern state and weeks road in North Babylon, across the street from Sunset City shopping center, I believe there is a wendy's there now in the pathmark shopping center. being that my Brothers and I grew up in the developement behind were pathmark is now we used to cut through the school field to get wetson on saturdays.....very nostalgic....thanks for the good memories

Wow...Sunset City...I had forgotten that name! I didn't remember that was a Wetson's...I did remember the Jack in the Box a few blocks north. There was a Wetson's I remember, on Sunrise Hwy in Bayshore. The building still has the shape of the old Wetson's, but has been many things over the years and is now a used car dealer.

Chiefb52430

• Location: lake ronkonkoma, NY
                                                          RE: Wetson's Fri, 04/15/05 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Tony Bad
                                                          Wow...Sunset City...I had forgotten that name! I didn't remember that was a Wetson's...I did remember the Jack in the Box a few blocks north. There was a Wetson's I remember, on Sunrise Hwy in Bayshore. The building still has the shape of the old Wetson's, but has been many things over the years and is now a used car dealer.

Wetsons was across the street from sunset city in what is now the pathmark parking lot...as for the jack in the box, when it first opened one of my brothers worked there but only for a short time....he got fired for eating too much... I remember the wetsons on sunrise hwy....it was a hair cutting shop for a long time...man I haven't been in that neck of the island in a while.... used to live in North Babylon until 1969....great neighborhood then

Tony Bad

RE: Wetson's Fri, 04/15/05 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

Wetsons was across the street from sunset city in what is now the pathmark parking lot...as for the jack in the box, when it first opened one of my brothers worked there but only for a short time....he got fired for eating too much... I remember the wetsons on sunrise hwy....it was a hair cutting shop for a long time...man I haven't been in that neck of the island in a while.... used to live in North Babylon until 1969....great neighborhood then

Funny to hear about your brother's Jack in the Box adventure!

Other eating highlights from my youth were the Arby's further north on Deer Park ave. They recently opened a White Castle up that way.

Those were in the days when fast food was still new and a great novelty.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 76

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com