Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Wetson's

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 76 of 76
LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
RE: Wetson's Sun, 01/4/09 11:13 AM (permalink)
kozel

There is still a 'Carl Wetanson' on Links Road in Woodmere.  And Linda, Toddy's is still a fixture on Central Ave.  Here is a link to a dated page on Cedarhurst you both may enjoy.

http://www.ade-re.com/1959/rodeo/drive.htm

Thanks Kozel...and Twinwillow...I've recently been finding out more of the history of the 5 Towns and the Rockaways on Facebook.

My mother's father owned Finegold Pontiac, and my father's father owned Cohen's Dairy. I still have some family down in the 5 towns, but don't get there too often...I am thinking that a roadtrip may be needed to get some decent herring and other delicatessen items.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
    RE: Wetson's Sun, 01/4/09 11:34 AM (permalink)
    LindaW

kozel

There is still a 'Carl Wetanson' on Links Road in Woodmere.  And Linda, Toddy's is still a fixture on Central Ave.  Here is a link to a dated page on Cedarhurst you both may enjoy.

http://www.ade-re.com/1959/rodeo/drive.htm

Thanks Kozel...and Twinwillow...I've recently been finding out more of the history of the 5 Towns and the Rockaways on Facebook.

My mother's father owned Finegold Pontiac, and my father's father owned Cohen's Dairy. I still have some family down in the 5 towns, but don't get there too often...I am thinking that a roadtrip may be needed to get some decent herring and other delicatessen items.

Kozel; Thanks for providing the link to the history of Cedarhurst. I really enjoyed reading about my old home town. 
    Growing up in Cedarhurst and the 5 Towns was, a most wonderful experience. I consider myself lucky that I was living there during the, "best of times". I have a cousin still living in Woodmere on Barnard Avenue and she say's, "the town had changed so much from what it was". 

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
      RE: Wetson's Sun, 01/4/09 1:41 PM (permalink)
      There used to be a Wetson's in Rockville Centre on the corner of Sunrise Hwy. and either Long Beach Rd. or Oceanside Rd. (to long ago to remember  ). My mom used to take us there as kids. Cheeseburgers, fries and shakes were the order of the day. 

mc_883

• Total Posts: 6
        RE: Wetson's Thu, 02/5/09 9:28 AM (permalink)
        Yes it was on the corner of Sunrise Hwy and Oceanside rd

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
          RE: Wetson's Sun, 02/8/09 2:16 PM (permalink)
          Again, for the ladies of the 5 towns:

sitting down? It seems Fortunoff's may be closing for good.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/07/fortunoff-household-bankruptcy-face-markets-0206_retail_23.html

turtlestomper

• Total Posts: 17
            RE: Wetson's Sun, 02/8/09 4:13 PM (permalink)
            I never ate at Wetson's, but I remember that Herb Wetson used to race Porsches at Lime Rock (CT) and elsewhere back in the '60s.  Here is a link to one of the cars that was sponsored by Wetson's:

http://www.a2zracer.com/page25.html

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
              RE: Wetson's Sun, 02/8/09 7:44 PM (permalink)
              In addition to Sunrise Hwy, Bay shore there was another location at the intersection of Veterans Hwy & Rt 347 in hauppauge vicinty. Building still stands as a swimming pool store, with its sloped roof.

Don't ever remember seeing or tasting mustard on any of their hamburgers.

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
                RE: Wetson's Tue, 03/17/09 12:56 PM (permalink)
                The Wetson's on Empire Blvd and Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn converted to a Nathan's.  Now hamburgers are still sold at the location, but it is a Wendy's.

Once in a while, when I walked by, I would reminisce about the days when it was a Wetson's.

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
                  RE: Wetson's Tue, 03/17/09 2:06 PM (permalink)
                  Actually, the hamburger stand at the intersection of Vet's Highway and 347 was NOT a Wetson's. It was a "Hubie Burger" stand. Hubie Burgers were Tom Carvel's answer to McDonald's/Wetsons. There were only a few of these stands back in the mid to late 60's, and I'm familiar with them because my neighbor back in those days worked at the only other one I knew of, which was on Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park (which was later turned into a Wetsons, and which is now a Taco Bell).
                  There was a carvel next to the Hubie Burger stand at the Vet's/347 intersection, which I think might still be there, and there was also one next to the Hubie's in New Hyde Park.
                  As I recall, the Hubie Burger was very similar to a Wetson's/McDonald's burger, but they always seemed to have more of the fried onions on them, as well as more generous dollops of ketchup. Many nights, when the Hubie stand closed, my neighbor would bring home sacks of the leftover unsold burgers, and my parents, sister and I would have a real treat as a midnight snack!
                  If I remember correctly, the burgers were .12c each when they first opened, by the time the place closed, I think they were up to .19c.

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                    RE: Wetson's Tue, 03/17/09 8:03 PM (permalink)
                    PaulBPool I do recall a Hubies hamburgers at that location,347 & veterans hwy, I thought it came after Wetsons. I remember 15c and 19c prices. I could be wrong about location though, since I was away 4 years in a war.  Thanks for the correction. In high school I made  15c hamburgers at pancake cottage (one of three locations) on vets hwy , a few hundred feet from the last exit 57, of the LI Expressway. Wow, did we make alot of burgers, 30 at a time.

ru gonna eat that

• Total Posts: 3
                      RE: Wetson's Thu, 04/12/12 3:53 PM (permalink)
                      I remember eating @ Wetson's on the corner of Henry St and Sunrise Hwy in Freeport after jr bowling on Saturday afternoon.  It became a Nathan's and is now a dunkin donuts.  Burgers, fries and a vanilla milkshake...Lunch of Champions!!!!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                        RE: Wetson's Thu, 04/12/12 6:45 PM (permalink)
                        turtlestomper

I never ate at Wetson's, but I remember that Herb Wetson used to race Porsches at Lime Rock (CT) and elsewhere back in the '60s.  Here is a link to one of the cars that was sponsored by Wetson's:

http://www.a2zracer.com/page25.html

Herb is very active selling "exotic" cars. He turned a hobby into a lucrative business.
                        I'm not sure what his brother Errol is doing. 

EricJM

• Total Posts: 1
                          RE: Wetson's Tue, 07/17/12 2:46 AM (permalink)
                          I remember it well and have great memories.  I grew up in Astoria, Queens, NY and it was located a few blocks from my home on Astoria Blvd-between 33rd and 34th Street.  This was late 60's/early 70's.  It as the closest thing we had to a McDonalds.  (Though, we also did have a McDonald's and a Burger King on Astoria Blvd, but in the upper streets, like 83rd or something.  Too far for us kids to go to.  That was for special occasions, when all the parents on the block would plan together, announce "We're going to McDonalds!" and all us kids would be screaming and shaking in excitement as we were loaded into cars for a field trip to the Golden Arches, taking over the whole parking lot, but I digress...).
                            I used to get to walk there(Wetson's) with my friends and buy our meals wih our allowance. We were all around 6-8 years old.  Wow, thinking back it seemed like such a safer, friendlier world.  It was cool to look at and, similiar to today's Happy Meals, I think they would give toy racing cars with their meals because Herb Wetanson(owner's son) raced sports cars, and the man behind the counter was as impressive and friendly to me as a fireman or policeman.  Sadly, without fanfare, it was closed one day.  It then became a Hardee's for a real short time, like, 6 months(memories not as fond), then a Roy Rogers-or was it Arby's?(either way,not a fan), and then a Burger King, which on a recent home visit, it still is.  And with each new takover, the building would be totally demo'd and rebuilt, so no sign of the original Wetson's exists.
                            The company that owns the rights to it(based on Long Island), has put out press releases that they will be bringing it back in late 2012.  Good Luck.  I just don't think it will be the same.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                            RE: Wetson's Tue, 07/17/12 9:38 AM (permalink)
                            "The company that owns the rights to it(based on Long Island), has put out press releases that they will be bringing it back in late 2012.  Good Luck.  I just don't think it will be the same.

Am I to understand that you are saying that someone is bringing Wetson's back? If so, do you have a copy of that news?

The Bear

peppertree

RE: Wetson's Thu, 01/17/13 8:09 PM (permalink)

peppertree

RE: Wetson's Thu, 01/17/13 8:26 PM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                  Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 76 of 76

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com