The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The world's BEST soup ?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 320
allyk

• Total Posts: 154
RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 03/25/10 9:59 PM (permalink)
I could only narrow to top 3:

She-crab soup at the Sea Captain's House in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Rich and creamy, smooth; hint of sherry. Wonderful.

Gumbo at the Blue Gill Restaurant, Mobile, Alabama. Splendid dark roux, chock full of seafood: Perfectly seasoned with just the right amount of heat.  So delicious.

Wild rice bisque, Marketplace Cafe, Minneapolis, MN. Hearty and delightful on a cold, cold day. Wish I had this recipe.

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 03/25/10 10:09 PM (permalink)
    Maybe not the world's best but just made a huge pot of Caldo Gallego and it was as close to perfect as I get in soup making and I am pretty darn good---------
    Russ

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 03/26/10 3:04 AM (permalink)
      russ2304

Maybe not the world's best but just made a huge pot of Caldo Gallego and it was as close to perfect as I get in soup making and I am pretty darn good---------
      Russ

Not knowing what Caldo Gallego is, I looked up some recipes. Found 6, all of them a little different but with some common food group ingredients. All of them had white beans of some sort, a green leafy vegetable- kale, spinach, cabbage etc, a meat- chicken, sausage, beef, ham or ham hocks, potatoes and/or turnips. I guess it's just like any other Soup----You go with whatcha got!

waiterhell

• Total Posts: 88
        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 03/26/10 4:55 AM (permalink)
        Come cold weather, home made Brunswick Stew........made with some leftover Lexington NC style smoked and chopped 'que , dutch oven stewed chopped onion enhanced whole chicken with stock, good canned crushed tomato, some BBQ  mop, fresh potato and freezer vegies (corn, baby limas, sliced okra
        )
                    .......with cast iron skillet corn bread, of course!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 05/1/10 10:56 PM (permalink)
          I really enjoy Brunswick stew, and the best that I've found so far is at Bill Spoon's Barbecue in Charlotte NC. Very good stuff.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 05/4/10 6:02 AM (permalink)
            Best lobster bisque I ever had was at the Saxonburg Inn, in Saxonburg, PA just north of Pittsburgh.  There wasn't a lot else there except the Inn, but what a great place.
            The guy who designed the Brooklyn Bridge was from Saxonburg.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 05/4/10 7:32 AM (permalink)
              Six of us here in Asheville for a few days and, as of last night, we all agree the best soup in the world is the vidalia onion bisque we had at The Admiral. Of course, everything we had was excellent (oh my, the pork belly), but that soup was other-worldly.  pb

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 05/5/10 6:34 AM (permalink)
                porkbeaks

Six of us here in Asheville for a few days and, as of last night, we all agree the best soup in the world is the vidalia onion bisque we had at The Admiral. Of course, everything we had was excellent (oh my, the pork belly), but that soup was other-worldly.  pb

I love Asheville and fortunate to only live 1 1/2 hours away.  I'll have to check out the soup at The Admiral on my next visit there.

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                  RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 05/5/10 8:51 AM (permalink)
                  My two nostalgic choices:
                  1. Clam Chowder at Noah's Artk formerly in St. Charles, MO. Alas no longer in biz.
                  2. French Onion SOup at Famous Barr department store, St. Louis, MO now run by May company
                  bkk

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 05/10/10 4:44 PM (permalink)
                    my all time favorite is kreplach at manny deli in chicago's downtown, and matzo ball noodle mix at strathmores in lake worth florida

kaszeta

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 05/10/10 5:58 PM (permalink)
                      A good Portuguese Caldo Verde (potato and kale soup with chourico).  I don't often see it in restaurants, but it's my favorite soup.

leslie638

• Total Posts: 25
                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 06/3/10 7:03 PM (permalink)
                        The she-crab soup at Eddie Luke's house in Williamsburg, VA over Thanksgiving a few years ago.  Still can't get the recipe.  

pimple2

• Total Posts: 90
                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 06/6/10 9:56 AM (permalink)
                          I find things termed "world's best" very funny owing to their extreme illogic!

1. Suppose the world has 1 million different types soups and they have 1 million more variants, and I have tasted <50, how could I arrive at a reasonable conclusion as to the "world's best"?

2. Suppose people's tastes are very personal and unique, what is the meaning or sense in the term "world's best"?

Does not "MY MOST FAVORITE" convey more accurately what people are trying to express here? The one soup or whatever that totally blew that one person's mind? That same soup might leave another person unimpressed or heading for the bathroom.

pimple2

• Total Posts: 90
                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 06/6/10 11:08 AM (permalink)
                            Leslie,

Re: She-crab soup, the secret is in the details. Like Jambalaya or other Cajun/Creole food, this Southern soup also has a relatively standard recipe or foundation. It is the execution that makes all the difference.

There a 2 bases, one a cream sauce, the other containing a large portion of crab roe. Getting hold of this amount of good quality uncooked, fresh roe is not easy.

Then, get picked crab meat, large lump pieces from claws, AND back fin meat => 3 separate types. This is your entire crab, that yields these 3 types: the fine shreds from the body cavity, the delicious but limited claw, and the back fin. To supplement claw meat, you can buy stone crab claws. I have no experience with Dungeness crab. Frozen King crab and Snow crab will make an adequate, not excellent, soup. They have NO ROE in their frozen packs.

To achieve the results you remember use large, LIVE, US BLUE crabs. Make sure  they are from US blue crabs, not imported picked meat nor Maine peeky-toe crab, which comes as picked meat. Use the latter as a supplement in the soup, if you like.

The crab should be lightly steamed, picked, and the crab bodies & legs simmered in a very light  chicken and veal white broth, made according to STANDARD procedure [see M. Kamman, Making Of A French Chef]. This will give you the FUMET.

If you do not have enough crab bodies, cook a bag of live clams AND live mussels in water & wine and filter/strain the liquor into the FUMET.

With the FUMET, make a WHITE SAUCE with unsalted butter, good quality milk that has been scalded with 1 bay leaf.

Make the roe base: unsalted butter and chopped good quality bacon or pancetta or mix,saute. Depends on the smokiness you choose to impart to the soup.  Be generous with butter & bacon.

Then chopped shallots or onion, a small amount of the tender heart of the celery, and either a little green bell pepper OR red bell pepper, roasted, skinned, chopped, or both.  Painstaking attention to details changes a dish from the prosaic to excellent. So does years of practice. Again, I emphasize that it is completely mistaken to believe that a recipe or any recipe holds the secret. A recipe can but guide.

Old Bay seasoning near end of saute phase, but in moderation, mix in SHE CRAB ROE. Stir around. Then, GOOD quality sherry [amontillado] wait a few seconds, a touch of Lea & Perrins. Amalgamate and see if smells are "balanced" because tastes will be very intense at this stage.

Gradually mix in with hot cream sauce and enrich with high quality Jersey cream. It makes a huge difference in taste if one uses non-homogenized milk from a good farm and good cream and butter. Each little thing adds up: again the difference between institutional mass production and excellence.

Taste to balance everything to your liking. Sometimes, a few drops of Tabasco or vinegar are useful : they must not rise to the threshold of detection but their merest presence sharpens other flavors, especially in cream based soups.

Sometimes, modern green peppers have no taste, or a grassy flatulent taste that I dislike. However, the traditional recipes call for the onion-celery-pepper sofrito, begun at an age when peppers carried a better body & aroma than at present. So we continue. If you find AHI DULCE in Puerto Rican or Hispanic groceries, you might wish to experiment with those.

After you have your soup base at just below a simmer, add your crab meats and gently mix in. Serve immediately. It should be quite thick and creamy and not dark, but a light tan color.
                            <message edited by pimple2 on Sun, 06/6/10 12:11 PM>

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 06/8/10 10:26 PM (permalink)
                              Why doesn't anyone make a brisket soup, or do they and I'm just not aware of it?

You could take a smoked brisket, do a course chop and add onions,celery,fresh tomatoes,small new red potatoes, carrots, corn,green beans a little garlic, and it would be great.

What else should go into it? If you offer a suggestion I'll make a batch and let you know, how it turns out.

Jack
                              <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Tue, 06/8/10 10:57 PM>

Foodbme

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 06/8/10 11:01 PM (permalink)
                                Dr of BBQ

Why doesn't anyone make a brisket soup, or do they and I'm just not aware of it?

You could take a smoked brisket, do a course chop and add onions,celery,fresh tomatoes,small new red potatoes, carrots, corn,green beans a little garlic, and it would be great.

What else should go into it? If you offer a suggestion I'll make a batch and let you know, how it turns out.

Jack

BEEF BRISKET SOUP
                                Beside the beef brisket cut, the flank, plate and skirt cuts can also be used in this soup recipe.
                                Ingredients 600g beef brisket 4 fresh tomatoes 1 stalk coriander 2 pieces ginger 1 tbsp cooking wine 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp cornstarch mixture Equipment Slow cooker Directions
                                Cut the beef brisket into small cubes  
                                Parboil the meat for about 2 minutes  
                                Remove and rinse away any blood or froth  
                                Place the beef, ginger and cooking wine into a slow cooker. Add enough water to cover the ingredients and account for liquid reduction during simmering  
                                Simmer the beef in the slow cooker on low setting  
                                Score the tomato skin, blanch in hot water and remove the curled skin  
                                Simmer the beef till the meat is tender, then add the tomato and salt  
                                Add the cornstarch mixture to thicken the soup slightly (this is optional)  
                                Garnish with chopped coriander and serve  

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                  RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 06/9/10 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                  Dr., sounds good as is! Maybe pickled jalapenos on the side for folks to add?

FoodB, I was thinkin smoked brisket but that sounds good.
                                  Joe

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 06/9/10 11:26 PM (permalink)
                                    Foodbme with all due respect that would make a pot roast out of a brisket. And that's not what I was thinking. I was talking about smoking a brisket then making a soup.

Foodbme

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 06/10/10 12:03 AM (permalink)
                                      Dr of BBQ

Foodbme with all due respect that would make a pot roast out of a brisket. And that's not what I was thinking. I was talking about smoking a brisket then making a soup.

Sorry. I missed the "Smoked" part in your post. Nevertheless you could still use the other ingredients in the Recipe, just wouldn't need to cook it as long. Or cook the other ingredients and add the Cooked SMOKED Brisket to the pot and just heat long enough to blend the flavors?

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Brisket and the cut of beef used to make pot roast come from two different sections of the animal?
                                      <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 06/10/10 12:07 AM>

Foodbme

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 06/10/10 12:13 AM (permalink)
                                        How 'bout this one??

Leftover Brisket Green Chili Soup.
                                        3 pounds of smoked leftover Brisket chopped
                                        32 ounces of beef stock
                                        3 celery sticks
                                        2 medium tomatoes
                                        3 carrots
                                        2 baby Boc Choy
                                        4 good size Anaheim green Chili peppers
                                        1 Habanero chili finely chopped ( optional)
                                        1 large Jalapeño chopped
                                        1 yellow onion
                                        1 tea spoon of garlic powder
                                        1 tablespoon of salt
                                        ½ tea spoon of black pepper

Chop up the vegetables and brisket pour in the beef stock and put into a large crock pot cook on low for around 4 hours or until vegetables tender.

OR---this one:
                                        R.J.’s Smoked Brisket Soup
                                        Time  30 Minutes
                                        • Celery medium dice 1 cup
                                        • onions medium dice 1 cup
                                        • Butter 5 ounces
                                        • Flour 5 ounces
                                        • Beef consumme 2 qts.
                                        • Frozen Mixed Vegetables ( fresh if you have them) 2 lbs
                                        • Thyme ground pinch
                                        • Black pepper ground 2 tsp
                                        • Beef brisket course chop 1.5 lbs
                                        • Rotel tomatoes1-#10 can
                                        • Salt 2 tsp
                                        In a large heavy bottom stock pot cook butter, onions and celery until vegetables are tender. Add flour and mix well. Cook roux for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add beef consumme slowly whisking to incorporate all liquid. Bring liquid to a slow simmer and then add remaining ingredients. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes before serving. This is a great crock pot recipe and will serve 10-12 guests.

<message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 06/10/10 12:17 AM>

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 06/14/10 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                          Foodbme, yes it wouldn't really be pot roast but it would have about the same flavor and the texture would be a twin. Not that there is anything wrong with pot roast, but it just doesn't have any flavor compared to brisket.

I think a smoked brisket has more basic beef flavor than any other cut of beef. When it comes to taste brisket is beefier  if that's a word. LOL

The 1st one
                                          32 ounces of beef stock
                                          3 celery sticks
                                          2 medium tomatoes
                                          3 carrots
                                          2 baby Boc Choy
                                          1 large Jalapeño chopped
                                          1 yellow onion
                                          1 tablespoon of salt

Chop up the vegetables and brisket pour in the beef stock and put into a large crock pot cook on low for around 4 hours or until vegetables tender.

Is a good stat.

The 2nd one would almost be a stew, if you did the final step correctly what with the gravy (roux) from the flour and stock. And I think it would be killer good in the fall. I may try this this weekend if I don't get out to the lake.

Jack

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 06/14/10 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                            Foodbme, yes it wouldn't really be pot roast but it would have about the same flavor and the texture would be a twin. Not that there is anything wrong with pot roast, but it just doesn't have any flavor compared to brisket.

I think a smoked brisket has more basic beef flavor than any other cut of beef. When it comes to taste brisket is beefier  if that's a word. LOL

The 1st one
                                            32 ounces of beef stock
                                            3 celery sticks
                                            2 medium tomatoes
                                            3 carrots
                                            2 baby Boc Choy
                                            1 large Jalapeño chopped
                                            1 yellow onion
                                            1 tablespoon of salt

Is a good stat.

The 2nd one would almost be a stew, if you did the final step correctly what with the gravy (roux) from the flour and stock. And I think it would be killer good in the fall. I may try this this weekend if I don't get out to the lake.

Jack

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 07/24/10 7:42 AM (permalink)
                                               This has to be the longest running post by a lurker that I have ever seen. I love a good soup but this is going too far.

David O.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
                                                RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 07/24/10 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                                White Pasta Fagiole...a recipe I got from a chef in Venice Italy..it's become our family favorite...years ago , I posted the recipe somewherre here on some thread...Boy is it great with crusty Italian bread...hey gave me an idea for tomorrow...haven't had it in a few weeks!

leethebard

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 07/24/10 7:08 PM (permalink)
                                                  Found the thread..the recipe is listed here a few posts down...I urge you to try this...WOW!!
                                                  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=337514&high=pasta+fagiole

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                                    • Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 07/24/10 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                                    Lee-----I will try to make it, but here is what I find so often on the net---

Quote----I saw your recipe on the internet and it sounded so good that i decided to make it.  I didn't have garlic so I used garlic salt.  I was out of chicken broth so i used cream of mushroom soup.  I didn't have the beans you mentioned so I used Campells Pork and beans. 

The soup was lousy---I will never use one of your recipes again------

End of quote.

Now, Lee Old Buddy, sit right down by the computer and wait, I will be making it soon.  Maybe before Christmas.  It really does sound good.

leethebard

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 07/24/10 11:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      I hope you enjoy...let me know what you think...oh and don't use pork and beans!!!!

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                                                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/25/10 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                                                                                     Hot Dog Soup, my house

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                          • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/25/10 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                                          the ancient mariner

Lee-----I will try to make it, but here is what I find so often on the net---

Quote----I saw your recipe on the internet and it sounded so good that i decided to make it.  I didn't have garlic so I used garlic salt.  I was out of chicken broth so i used cream of mushroom soup.  I didn't have the beans you mentioned so I used Campells Pork and beans. 

The soup was lousy---I will never use one of your recipes again------

End of quote.

Now, Lee Old Buddy, sit right down by the computer and wait, I will be making it soon.  Maybe before Christmas.  It really does sound good.

This kind of stuff does not just happen on the net lol...

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                            • Location: McKinney, TX
                                                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 06/28/11 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                                            Four soups I could "live on":

Tortilla Soup at the Mansion when Dean Fearing was the executive chef.

French Onion Soup from a brasserie whose name escapes me across Bv. Hausmann from Galerie Lafayette.

Lobster Bisque w/ creme sherry at The Prime Rib, WDC.

Brunswick Stew at the dining hall of Mary Baldwin College when Ms. Carr was the executive chef.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 320

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com