Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Snack Cakes from Forever Ago

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39
Ole Buckeye

• Total Posts: 1
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Thu, 05/4/06 5:50 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by Stevie Doug

From my long past youth I remember inhaling Banana Flips and Jim Jam's with a glass (or 2) of milk after school. Anyone know if these snack cakes exist (are made and sold) anymore?
[If memory serves, I remember Jim Jams Banana Flips and Spice Boats all being manufactured under the name of "Cookbook". I think there was a name with an apostrophe like Smith's or Brown's or some such word that preceded the word "Cookbook". I haven't seen any of these in northeastern Ohio for years.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
    RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Fri, 05/5/06 9:50 AM (permalink)
    I always like the Spanish Bar cakes. Even Winn Dixie sold those, but I don't remember who made them. I also liked the cinnamon buns with the white icing and with raisins in them. Years ago, the Christmas season would begin with my Daddy buying a Jane Parker fruitcake.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
      RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Sun, 05/7/06 10:20 PM (permalink)
      Mmmmmm. I'd kill for a 'Devil Dog" or a "Yankee Doodle" about now with a nice cold glass of milk.

Aljim

• Total Posts: 8
        RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Sat, 06/24/06 12:33 PM (permalink)
        For young twenty-somethings, A&P was a supermarket chain from days gone by.A&P + Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co.We had quite a few here
        in Chicago.They left about twenty-five years ago

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
          RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Sat, 06/24/06 1:38 PM (permalink)
          I used to love Drakes coffee cakes and Devil Dogs. Ring Dings were great too. Hostess seems to have aquired some of Drakes recipes/rights and their coffee cake is similar.

What I liked were Richs Chocolate Eclairs and Bavarian Creme Puffs that could be found in the store freezer section. They do not seem to be easily found, so I will go for Entenmanns chocolate eclairs.

mark

Eric B

• Total Posts: 103
            RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Wed, 06/28/06 7:09 PM (permalink)
            Dolly Madison (IBC) has inherited the banana flips from Mickey (ABC).
            Flowers also used to make them, (that's what Mrs. Frehsley's would be)but the cake was always dry and gritty. They also made chocolate flips (vanilla creme) and even a vanilla flip.

I still have the paper labels from a lot of these things, and have even scanned them and used them as my desktop for a while.

I also still miss Drake's strawberry and banana Shortcakes (basically, their fake Twinkies back before the merger). And out West, the best tasting cakes I ever had were Break's (Campbell Taggart; now Earth Grains) Shake Cakes, which looked like Zingers, but were slightly longer, and came in vanilla, chocolate, and Strawberry.

These days, I have been eating Entenmann's mini carrot cakes, which are also sold in two in a pack, at least around here. They are kind of shaped like Zingers as well, but not as sugary, but tasty carrot cake. Totally unique in snack cakes.

herc914

RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Mon, 04/23/07 9:08 AM (permalink)
              Regarding the 'Banana Flips' & 'Jim Jams' there was a third cake treat called 'Devil's Delite' that was a devils food sandwich with a vanilla creme center. The label said "Cookbook Cake treats" and then later the word 'Mickey's' was added to the label as I remember. I grew up in the 50s & 60s in Michigan and we had them there.

T Wam

Re:Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Sat, 03/31/12 3:15 PM (permalink)
                THIS IS CRAAAAAZY  my brother and I were just talking about jim jams the other day  they were his favorites!!!!!!

My favorite on the other hand was a small pie that had lemon jello then on top of that was a whipped cream with toasted coconut on top of it.  OMG i am drooling for one of those right now!!!!!

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                  Re:Snack Cakes from Forever Ago Tue, 10/2/12 4:40 PM (permalink)
                  Passion Flakies were called Puffed Squares 45 years ago and then Fruit Flakies for a brief period about 30 years ago. They're still the very best though by whatever name, but they're sold only in Canada:

They can be bought individually wrapped at most variety stores but buy a whole box of six if you're ever north of the border. You won't regret it. They'll make you want to move to Canada. 

<message edited by Hepcat on Wed, 10/3/12 11:04 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com