The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Mr. Steak Restaurants...

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 101
MrSteak

• Total Posts: 2
Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 08/28/04 8:23 AM (permalink)
Anyone out there know what happened to the Mr. Steak Restaurant chain?
Any info would be appreciated....

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
    RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 08/28/04 1:05 PM (permalink)
    What geographical are were they in? And how long ago since the last one you saw?

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
      RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 08/28/04 1:26 PM (permalink)

I don't know if they're still in business, but I found this
      website, complete with a full menu - it's from 1996?

http://www.bitestl.com/mrsteak

hope this helps [|)]

ardee

• Total Posts: 131
        RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 08/28/04 9:32 PM (permalink)
        Jamco Ltd, which owned Mr Steak, Inc, the company that operated its own Mr Steak Restaurants as well as franchising them, declared bankruptcy in 1987. At the time of the bankruptcy there were about 150 restaurants in the US and Canada, 25 operated by the company and the remainder operated by franchisees.

While some of the former franchise operations may still be operating under the Mr Steak name, the chain now seems to be history.

MrSteak

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 08/29/04 8:02 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by ardee

Jamco Ltd, which owned Mr Steak, Inc, the company that operated its own Mr Steak Restaurants as well as franchising them, declared bankruptcy in 1987. At the time of the bankruptcy there were about 150 restaurants in the US and Canada, 25 operated by the company and the remainder operated by franchisees.

While some of the former franchise operations may still be operating under the Mr Steak name, the chain now seems to be history.

Rt66Mike

• Total Posts: 155
            RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Wed, 08/3/05 11:47 PM (permalink)
            The Mr Steak in St. Charles, MO is the last that I am aware of, and its still going strong. When it opened originally, it was in a mostly rural area on the very edge of town, but the area has since became the main commercial district, since Wally World buit there in the 80s.

Mr Steak has been a St. Charles tradition since the 70s. Great service, and even better food.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
              RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 08/4/05 12:51 PM (permalink)
              Used to be one at the Elm Street exit off 85 in Greensboro. Good steak at reasonable price. Now a Home Depot sits there.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 08/18/05 10:31 AM (permalink)
                There used to be on in Lexington, KY on Nicholasville Road. It's long gone but we often went there for lunch and I have nothing but good memories of it. It was there in the early 90's and subsequently several restaurants have come and gone in its spot.

Andrea

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
                  RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 08/18/05 11:37 AM (permalink)
                  My husband knew Mr. Steak from Colorado and his time at Lowry AFB.
                  We had only one that I know of in La Mesa, CA. It closed well over 10 years ago. I remember going there when my boys were toddlers (now 15 & 17).

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                    RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 08/19/05 12:36 PM (permalink)
                    Here in Michigan, the old Mr. Steak restaurants are operating as "Finleys," and enjoy pretty much the same reputation as a solid if unspectacular mid-range steak-and-potatoes place for an older crowd who doesn't like being rushed through their meal. While I'm not crazy about their steaks, I've found their hamburgers to be really excellent, and they have a great hawaiian chicken dish that is a terrific bargain. Newspaper coupon watchers can often find a 2-for-1 dinner special every now and then. - Rusty

gakola

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 01/7/06 11:35 PM (permalink)
                      I believe the very first Mr. Steak was the one opened in the mid 1960's located on Littleton Blvd. in Littleton, CO, south of Denver. The restaurant moved to a new location about 1970. The large fiberglass advertising bull was relocated several times by the high school students (I wasn't one of them, honest!).

garryd451

• Total Posts: 698
                        RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 01/8/06 1:21 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Rustywolf

Here in Michigan, the old Mr. Steak restaurants are operating as "Finleys," and enjoy pretty much the same reputation as a solid if unspectacular mid-range steak-and-potatoes place for an older crowd who doesn't like being rushed through their meal. While I'm not crazy about their steaks, I've found their hamburgers to be really excellent, and they have a great hawaiian chicken dish that is a terrific bargain. Newspaper coupon watchers can often find a 2-for-1 dinner special every now and then. - Rusty

Here's is a update about the company that used to owned Mr. Steak in Micigan;

http://www.michiganmenu.com/scheldesgrille.html

debsue_57

• Total Posts: 4
                          RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 01/8/06 2:14 AM (permalink)
                          My first job was at the Mr. Steak in Bridgon, Mo on the Rock Road. Their Continental sandwich was great! I enjoyed the 2 1/2 years I spent working there.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                            RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Mon, 01/9/06 3:47 PM (permalink)
                            There use to be a Mr. Steak here in Huntsville, AL, located on South Parkway. It has been closed for many years. Don't know if it was a franchise, but they served very good food and always served orange slices w/their tea. Ever since then I always have an orange slice with my tea.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                              RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Mon, 01/9/06 5:18 PM (permalink)
                              When I first began my teaching career (back somewhere around the Paleozic Era), one of my co-workers had a Mr. Steak bumper sticker on his car.

The slogan on the bumper sticker was:

Mr. Steak is a big Bull-Shipper

Does anyone else remember that slogan?

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 01/15/06 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                I stumbled across that last remaining official Mr. Steak in St. Charles , MS while driving my car from CA to NJ. I read all the articles on the wall, etc.

Steak was decent enough for that dirt cheap price I paid at lunchtime.

But the manager/owner was about the most incredibly friendliest person I've ever met!! It's worth it just to go there just to feel cared about!

ellen

tjr

• Total Posts: 136
                                  RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 01/26/06 12:47 AM (permalink)
                                  The Mr. Steaks in the Twin Cities used to front you a free meal on your birthday and it was worth every penny. We always went to the one in Columbia Heights. I doubt it's there any more.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                    RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 03/5/06 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                    We had a Mr. Steak in Newington,CT. ,late 60's early 70's on the Berlin Tpke. ( where everything was ) right next to the old Shakeys pizza. Steaks had anice charbroil flavor that went great with the texas toast.

DenverJeff

• Total Posts: 6
                                      RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 03/12/06 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                      Do any Denverites remember Mr. Steak's Firegrill, which was located on Arapahoe Road in Greenwood Village. There is an Old Santa Fe mexican restaurant there now. After a year or two, they took the "Mr. Steak's" off of the name, and it simply became Firegrill. It was definitely affiliated with the same Mr. Steak chain being discussed here, because it had the same logo. I never ate at one of the regular Mr. Steak establishments, but it is my impression that Firegrill was more upscale. They had little fiber-optic lights in the ceiling that made it look like a starry night. They served little crocks of delicious au gratin potatoes with a wonderful cheddar crust.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
                                        RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 03/12/06 9:48 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by rmcielwain

I don't know if they're still in business, but I found this
                                        website, complete with a full menu - it's from 1996?

http://www.bitestl.com/mrsteak

hope this helps [|)]

1996 or 1976 Is this a cruel joke...look at the prices.

tjr

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Tue, 03/14/06 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                          The St. Charles Mr. Steak is still in the phone book. Hmm...

tjr

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Tue, 03/14/06 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                            Along with one in Fargo and the one in Columbia Heights, MN that we used to go to. Double hmm...

KevinP

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 10/14/06 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                              My dad worked at one in Independence from 1979 to 2005. He pretty much held that thing together, it closed within 2 months of his departure.

It is now The Player's Club..........a bar.

It was located at 3301 S. Noland Road in Independence, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City.

There was a franchise owned by Paul Consiglio, which included the Independence location as well as a mall location in Overland Park, which closed in probably the early to late-80s. Consiglio was diagnosed with cancer in 1997 and passed away in May of 2006 at the age of 57.

There was also one in Sedalia, Missouri, about an hour away from the KC metro. There was at least one other in the Kansas City area, possibly North Kansas City or even downtown.

But the only official location I am now aware of is in St. Charles, and the only other I've ever been to as a Mr. Steak.

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                                                RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 10/15/06 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                                There was one in Freehold NJ when I was a kid. I liked it because you got little plastic Mr. Steak (a bull) hand puppets. I don't remember anything about the food, though.

jzwagar

• Total Posts: 41
                                                  RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 10/15/06 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  FYI, the Mr. Steak in Fargo is still in operation. I'm only aware of that because a month or two ago they were advertising heavily on the radio that they were celebrating a major (25 years?) anniversary. Sounds like it's operated by the same family that opened the store years ago.
                                                  Jon

KevinP

• Location: Independence, MO
                                                    RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Wed, 10/18/06 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                                    The Fargo store operator was a friend of Consiglio, the Independence operator.

My dad told me that after we read about the one in Fargo still being open.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                                      RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Wed, 10/18/06 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Here's is a update about the company that used to owned Mr. Steak in Micigan;http://www.michiganmenu.com/scheldesgrille.html

Hard to believe that someone would charge 50ยข for raw onions and the same for cheese?

KevinP

• Location: Independence, MO
                                                        RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 02/15/07 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                                        The one in St. Charles, MO still exists but it's not the one in Independence, MO if you know what I mean.

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                                                          • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                          RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 02/15/07 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                                          There used to be 3 of them in the SyraCUSE ny AREA.
                                                          I can assume they changed to their current name of
                                                          Kirbys Steak house around 1987s Jamcos Bk filing.

They are still owned by the same person/group who also
                                                          operates Zebbs Grill and bar resturants that are
                                                          located in Syracuse, Rochester, and Utica NY.

jzwagar

• Total Posts: 41
                                                            • Location: Valley City, ND
                                                            RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 02/15/07 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                            Mr. Steak is alive and well in Fargo, North Dakota. The owners are long-timers and recently had an advertising blitz regarding their 25th anniversary in Fargo.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 101

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com